The Politics Thread 2020

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Have you read much about the illness?

They know that people are contagious before they get symptoms - They think it's for 48 hours beforehand - Think about a normal day and how many people you come into contact with in 2 full days - Then think about how many people kids in school come into contact with in 2 full days

They also don't know whether people who are completely symptomless can pass on the virus - So you could never show any symptoms and still infect everyone you come into contact with for a couple of weeks

I haven’t read much just what the experts on here write as they seem to know best. So we stay like this until when? A vaccine? We might as well pack up now, generations of kids without education. The future is bright 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Hmm. Can't be more difficult than raising the dead though, can it?

If horror movies, simpsons halloween episodes, buffy the vampire slayer and almost any TV show containing magic is to be believed you just need a book

The outcomes can be somewhat sporadic in their effectiveness though and generally have a few unforeseen consequences - But that's what makes for a great storyline! 

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

I haven’t read much just what the experts on here write as they seem to know best. So we stay like this until when? A vaccine? We might as well pack up now, generations of kids without education. The future is bright 

Pretty much yeh - They think a vaccine might be possible next year

Realistically all we'd do is shift all kids education back a year - Everyone who is in school at the moment stays until they're 17 I guess? Or spends time catching up with extra lessons

Also - I'm not sure why your kids aren't learning at home - The government is providing (apparently) loads of resources for kids to work at home - Teachers aren't there to enforce behaviour they're there to teach - If your kids won't sit down and learn when material is provided for them then I'm not sure you can blame the education system

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Pretty much yeh - They think a vaccine might be possible next year

Realistically all we'd do is shift all kids education back a year - Everyone who is in school at the moment stays until they're 17 I guess? Or spends time catching up with extra lessons

Also - I'm not sure why your kids aren't learning at home - The government is providing (apparently) loads of resources for kids to work at home - Teachers aren't there to enforce behaviour they're there to teach - If your kids won't sit down and learn when material is provided for them then I'm not sure you can blame the education system

Lol loads of resources, their not. 

5 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I did say apparently - I don't have kids so haven't had to check

I just did a quick google and this thread seems to have lots of good suggestions - BBC bitesize has always been a good resource and is free - Others have costs on but some have free stuff it seems:

https://www.mumsnet.com/swearsby/best-online-learning-resources

I don't think it would take long to find some learning resources online which can help for the time your kids aren't in school

Oh, and a little one for free - You're looking for "they're" because the sentence would be "they are not" - You can have that tutoring for free ? 

8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Mate the people with you're kind of attitude have been proven wrong with the number of dead not to be nasty but you talk out of it yes it's sad for kids and it's probably going to get worse. How does the economy recover quicker when there are more and more deaths to deal with this has got to be a steady move back to somewhat normal life. Not just a get everyone back as quick as possible.

3 minutes ago, djfred84 said:

Mate the people with you're kind of attitude have been proven wrong with the number of dead not to be nasty but you talk out of it yes it's sad for kids and it's probably going to get worse. How does the economy recover quicker when there are more and more deaths to deal with this has got to be a steady move back to somewhat normal life. Not just a get everyone back as quick as possible.

We’ll see 

1 hour ago, djfred84 said:

Problem is schools cannot fit kids as well as social distancing hence why schools are sometimes struggling at 15 a class.

Our school can only 'fit' a maximum 9 pupils in each class. Moving to 1m would still only mean a maximum of around 15 - half a normal class size. The only ways I can see we can get all children back in September are to either abolish social distancing rules completely or  insatll lots of temporary classrooms (mobiles) and employ extra staff.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Your way will kill me. Is it any wonder I will take things personally?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Your way will kill me. Is it any wonder I will take things personally?

Why would you think it’s directed at you? There’s loads of experts on here, on all threads including me...........

Just now, TexasRam said:

Why would you think it’s directed at you? There’s loads of experts on here, on all threads including me...........

You and B4 are the only people advocating just going back to 'normal' - and I like B4.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You and B4 are the only people advocating just going back to 'normal' - and I like B4.

Yes I think we should, I’m sure there are others they just dare not speak out. I just don’t care what others think or think about me or my view 

Somebody asked on Twitter yesterday if people thought Johnson had done a great job under the intense pressure from the media.

Well, clearly a loaded question, but I was utterly floored by the answers.

I foolishly thought people would push back.

But so many were saying he's done a fantastic job. And the media are to blame of blowing things out of all proportion.

WTF world are we living in?

I get personal politics and when you're in an 'us and them' scenario you lash out and defend your tribe, but this is sectarianism at its worst.

And stupidest.

It's like Derby fans refusing to believe the Leeds team in the 70s' was any good.

Of that the Forest team of the last 70s' was poo.

We ALL want to believe that, but facts kind of matter.

We were stunned by the appalling situations in Italy and Spain, and yet we have drifted past them in terms of cases and deaths with the aplomb of Ayrton Senna going past Mr Bean.

Johnson shut us down 9 days after Spain when we both had our first case of the same day, and you think he doesn't need calling to account for that?

And more importantly, you don't think you can break Party lines in the name of decency and honesty?

GTFAOH.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/scene-on-radio/id1036276968?i=1000381267487

Not everyone will take this on board and it’s fair enough if you aren’t interested but I just wanted to recommend this excellent podcast Scene On Radio and its series Seeing White.

When the Black Lives Matter protests were set for round the country, I ended up having a few conversations with mates about whether to go. As we decided it wasn’t really safe to show support in public we decided that it’d be a good time to atleast ask the question of how we, as an individual, can do better and educate ourselves.

Anyway I had this recommended to me and I thought it was a great starting place. I’m not saying ‘look at me I listened to a podcast and by sharing it my work is done’, but I feel this explains what institutionalised racism is, how it works and how it warps social thinking in a respectful manner that’s not forcing the idea on you. It also discusses those ideas better than I could ever try and explain by yelling into the voi...I mean posters wanting me to repeat myself over and over in The Politics Thread.

Yes it’s long and yes it’s American but it still relevant to any of us living in a modern society, we are allowed to learn lessons even if they don’t reference your specific island.

As I say, some of you will ignore it, that’s fine. If you won’t listen to it and still try and talk to me about it then I will happily ignore you. But if you feel like you want to learn a different perspective and ask a few questions I honestly feel it’s worth your time.

32 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Somebody asked on Twitter yesterday if people thought Johnson had done a great job under the intense pressure from the media.

Well, clearly a loaded question, but I was utterly floored by the answers.

I foolishly thought people would push back.

But so many were saying he's done a fantastic job. And the media are to blame of blowing things out of all proportion.

WTF world are we living in?

I get personal politics and when you're in an 'us and them' scenario you lash out and defend your tribe, but this is sectarianism at its worst.

And stupidest.

It's like Derby fans refusing to believe the Leeds team in the 70s' was any good.

Of that the Forest team of the last 70s' was poo.

We ALL want to believe that, but facts kind of matter.

We were stunned by the appalling situations in Italy and Spain, and yet we have drifted past them in terms of cases and deaths with the aplomb of Ayrton Senna going past Mr Bean.

Johnson shut us down 9 days after Spain when we both had our first case of the same day, and you think he doesn't need calling to account for that?

And more importantly, you don't think you can break Party lines in the name of decency and honesty?

GTFAOH.

Bury head in sand that's what they are doing at this point they may as well call boris dear leader.

Archived