Late subs

DCFC27

One thing I’ve noticed with Cocu is that he doesn’t seem to use subs until very late and quite often he doesn’t use all three. Last year I always thought we could change the game in with a sub or change the formation but Cocu very much seems to trust in the line up he’s started with and use subs sparingly. Not necessarily a bad thing but I do think with some of the draws we have had this season we just needed someone to shake it up and pose a different threat. Yesterday was a prime example, after a few flurries Cardiff just worked out what we were trying and took control of the game. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

One thing I’ve noticed with Cocu is that he doesn’t seem to use subs until very late and quite often he doesn’t use all three. Last year I always thought we could change the game in with a sub or change the formation but Cocu very much seems to trust in the line up he’s started with and use subs sparingly. Not necessarily a bad thing but I do think with some of the draws we have had this season we just needed someone to shake it up and pose a different threat. Yesterday was a prime example, after a few flurries Cardiff just worked out what we were trying and took control of the game. 

We've brought a sub on at half time in 4 games this season. And in only 2 league games have we not used all 3 subs.

3 hours ago, DcfcJB said:

Completely factually incorrect, but other than that a good post.

Don’t think you can really accuse cocu of not making changes when things haven’t been going well, he’s swapped formations and made subs at half time plenty of times this season. And I think the times when he hasn’t used all the subs is because the momentum of the game made it better not to- think that was the case yesterday and I think it’s sometime absolutely the right call. Subs can distrupt your flow so no point making unnecessary ones.

However, I do think there’s a point to be made to say he doesn’t seem to make many more attacking formation changes. Just seems to switch the setup entirely. I think he’d be much better having a planned out attacking formation (like mac with the 424) that we can switch easily to mid game from our starting formation without too many players being moved out of position- but allowing us more bodies in attack. That would help us more imo than constant entirely switching the setup without having much impact offensively or defensively. Much better imo to have a formation and stick to it, with a couple of planned out tweaks that can seamlessly make it more offensive or defensive, rather than having lots of different types of formations in your locker. That way you can focus on one style and just a couple of tweaks in training. Should make it all much more fluid imo. At the minute it Seems like we don’t know what style we’re going for at times which is worrying long term from a manager.

Archived