The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Condescending, and inaccurate. I was keeping it simple since I wanted to demonstrate that economists get forecasts and predictions wrong all the time. 

And I was keeping it simple by pointing out my little Tory pal, that you've not used the best example. Let's just leave it there eh!

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

And I was keeping it simple by pointing out my little Tory pal, that you've not used the best example. Let's just leave it there eh!

No real need to keep being condescending but hey, continue if it makes you feel better. ''Tory'' doesn't really accurately describe someone who is only voting them despairingly out of the best of a bad bunch. 

7 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

It's behind a pay wall, so I couldn't & still can't read it.

Don't have time now anyway, those 250,000 trees a day that Labour has promised aren't going to plant themselves.....?

On 13th December there could be a new company formed:-

Van Gritters tree planting company.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

No real need to keep being condescending but hey, continue if it makes you feel better. ''Tory'' doesn't really accurately describe someone who is only voting them despairingly out of the best of a bad bunch. 

I'm afraid it does. Anyone prepared to overlook their record and the effects of 10 years of austerity on the most vulnerable members of our society is Tory through and through, despite any protestations to the contrary. You know exactly what you're voting for as does every other Tory. You've had 10 years of it already, after all.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm afraid it does. Anyone prepared to overlook their record and the effects of 10 years of austerity on the most vulnerable members of our society is Tory through and through, despite any protestations to the contrary. You know exactly what you're voting for as does every other Tory. You've had 10 years of it already, after all.

And what would voting Labour look like. Because that is the only alternative. 

Wonder how the poorest would fair when the whole economy collapses?

Just now, Andicis said:

Yeah, there isn't any point in me contributing more to this thread. Any challenge of viewpoint is met with hostility or this kind of passive aggressiveness, it's so entrenched. 

Keep posting. Not many your age posting in here. And I don't know ny that understand enough about politics to debate with. 

I was the same, though. Too busy chasing skirt. 

I'm 31 and most of my mates and work colleagues will be voting Conservative. Not really much choice. 

I suppose you're surrounded by Labour voters on campus? 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

And what would voting Labour look like. Because that is the only alternative. 

Wonder how the poorest would fair when the whole economy collapses?

Yep and you blithely assume that a Labour government will crash the economy, yet are quite content that with the national debt now amounting to 84% of GDP that with Boris, we're on the road to the land milk and honey. Tad one eyed I reckon.

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yep and you blithely assume that a Labour government will crash the economy, yet are quite content that with the national debt now amounting to 84% of GDP that with Boris, we're on the road to the land milk and honey. Tad one eyed I reckon.

Prove to me it wouldn't. You're the one voting for them. Suppose you haven't read about the debt Labour are planning to wrack up, then?

I'm not content with how things are. I follow many on here when I say I am left with little choice. 

<insert passive aggressive terms like' pal' />

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Austerity that was caused by the crash. 

What would you’re matE Alastair Darling have done  

Prove to me it wouldn't. You're the one voting for them. Suppose you haven't read about the debt Labour are planning to wrack up, then?

I'm not content with how things are. I follow many on here when I say I am left with little choice. 

<insert passive aggressive terms like' pal' />

Why do I have to prove anything to you and who is being 'passively aggressive' now?

You're the one saying that Labour will bankrupt the country but you want me to offer reasons why they won't! Err, ok!

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Why do I have to prove anything to you and who is being 'passively aggressive' now?

You're the one saying that Labour will bankrupt the country but you want me to offer reasons why they won't! Err, ok!

Well, I want to make sure you understand what you're voting for. You seem very passionate about the most vulnerable in society, but seem happy to vote Labour. 

Seems a bit of a contradiction? 

Nothing passive aggressive in there from me, pal. Apart from that bit. 

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Austerity that was caused by the crash. 

What would you’re matE Alastair Darling have done  

Wasn't actually talking to you but since you've asked, austerity that was deemed the way forward by a succession of Tory Chancellors despite every economist on the planet pointing out that austerity measures have never once stimulated growth in the entire history of the modern world.

If it quacks like a duck...

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Wasn't actually talking to you but since you've asked, austerity that was deemed the way forward by a succession of Tory Chancellors despite every economist on the planet pointing out that austerity measures have never once stimulated growth in the entire history of the modern world.

If it quacks like a duck...

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/13302

Well, I want to make sure you understand what you're voting for. You seem very passionate about the most vulnerable in society, but seem happy to vote Labour. 

Seems a bit of a contradiction? 

Nothing passive aggressive in there from me, pal. Apart from that bit. 

Pal!

Ok mate.

There's no contradiction except in your head in voting for a party who will protect the welfare state. It's not rocket science. Your entire argument is based on a presupposition you're clearly unwilling or unable to back up, that is that a vote for Labour is a vote for rack and ruin. Project fear alive and well I see.

I’d say the Tories have not done that bad what with the distraction of BREXIT 

IFS article  

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/13302

The initial recession reduced the size of the economy dramatically. Public spending rose from 38.9% of national income in 2007–08 to 44.9% in 2009–10 while tax revenues fell from 36.2% of national income to 35.0% of national income. The immediate result was a deficit of £153 billion or very nearly 10% of national income.

Since then an historically unprecedented set of government spending cuts has brought public spending back to 38.4% of GDP: i.e. very slightly below where it was just before the recession hit in 2007–08 (and after a decade of Labour government). Net tax rises helped push tax revenues up to 36.7% of national incomes, about 0.5% of national income higher than they were in 2007–08 and at their highest level since 1987.

Archived