The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running scared? Can't think why this might be...

The BBC has still not managed to pin down Boris Johnson for an interview with Andrew Neil. It comes after Jeremy Corbyn faced a bruising grilling in which he refused to apologise to the Jewish community for antisemitism within Labour four times. The broadcaster said they were having ‘ongoing discussions’ with Mr Johnson’s team but had been unable to agree a date.

Boris Johnson will also not attend the BBC’s seven-way election debate on Friday.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/27/boris-johnson-refuses-agree-bbc-interview-date-andrew-neil-11230071/?ito=cbshare

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Personally I think that Corbyn is not a habitual liar, which is unusual for politicians, and because of that I'm inclined to think he may be telling the truth. Now we need to see the full details. 

I don't know. I think most politicians don't outright lie but are happy to let the public believe a 'mistruth' aslong as their is evidence somewhere to support them if called out on it.

The student debt claim from the last election was a good example.

The nme interview where corbyn stated he would deal with student debt, now the article went on to state that he would ease the burden,  not clear it, however it was the headline that people read and was repeated,  and many people believed that labour would pay off student debt, in fact this was repeated by more than one labour politician. 

So no its not a lie, but as a politician it doesn't harm his cause if people believe something if he can later produce evidence to show he didn't make those claims.

I suspect this will be just the same,  if pushed both Johnson and Corbyn will show evidence they haven't lied. 

It will come down to what people want to believe.

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Running scared? Can't think why this might be...

The BBC has still not managed to pin down Boris Johnson for an interview with Andrew Neil. It comes after Jeremy Corbyn faced a bruising grilling in which he refused to apologise to the Jewish community for antisemitism within Labour four times. The broadcaster said they were having ‘ongoing discussions’ with Mr Johnson’s team but had been unable to agree a date.

Boris Johnson will also not attend the BBC’s seven-way election debate on Friday.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/27/boris-johnson-refuses-agree-bbc-interview-date-andrew-neil-11230071/?ito=cbshare

13th December i heard. ?

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Im no Corbyn fan but that article,  to me, is just waffle.

It's certainly an odd piece. Not like Corbyn's background is a secret. He was born into a comfortably well-off family, but that appears to be what shaped him to understand inequality and choose to dedicate his life to standing up for it - rather than take an elitist stance.

Maybe that's what annoys people?

15 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

They won an election in the summer. They are king makers this election. Standing down so Cons win seats and standing in others so Labour lose them. 

Mardy bum.

Maybe they had a chance to be, but Lord, er, Mr Farage sold out that opportunity. Now they are just the loony fringe of the Tories.

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The brilliant NHS that has PFI introduced by Labour. 

Labour already sold some of it off. 

And Corbyn is promising to reverse the privatisation brought in by Blair and continued by the current government. There's only one party you can trust the NHS with.

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

And Corbyn is promising to reverse the privatisation brought in by Blair and continued by the current government. There's only one party you can trust the NHS with.

And it’s not Labour after they have crashed the economy.

NHS relies on a good thriving economy.

Have you checked out the employment figures lately. 

Oh dear! Dick Rowland making... well, a dick of himself.

Again.

This is the spectacular moment a Brexit Party MEP fell headfirst into a trap of his own creation during a debate in the European Parliament about the economic impacts of Brexit. 

After hearing evidence from Green Party MEP Molly Scott Cato on the economic risks of implementing prime minister Boris Johnson‘s post-Brexit trade deal strategy and the huge cost of failing to recognise the climate crisis, Brexit Party MEP Richard Rowland questioned Ms Scott-Cato’s authority on the subject.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/green-mep-brexit-party-professor-economics-degree-molly-scott-cato-video-watch-a9219801.html

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Maybe they had a chance to be, but Lord, er, Mr Farage sold out that opportunity. Now they are just the loony fringe of the Tories.

Proportional representation is lunacy?

Honestly do your self a favour and stop being so bitter and tribal. Don't try and pretend you are informed about X,Y,Z. You epitomise identity politics. 

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

And he's ugly 

Boris isn't exactly a looker.

But, you do have a point.  Think back to the last time we had an ugly prime minister with a beard...she introduced the poll tax. ?

2 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Proportional representation is lunacy?

Honestly do your self a favour and stop being so bitter and tribal. Don't try and pretend you are informed about X,Y,Z. You epitomise identify politics. 

I doubt any of those policies will make much difference considering their position in the polls... 4% ain't changing nothing, sadly, as I'd like the Greens to actually be able to change some things.

image.thumb.png.d2fcf8b3f161817ef21f71f340945496.png

Archived