Coming off your line training

rammieib

Any keeper that would have come off the line for either Gestade's missed header or the goal has no business playing in professional football. 

Lampard himself said Carson was absolutely right in not coming off the line for the goal.

The only reason to come off the line is because he knew Bogle would make a calamitous error. 

I understand not wanting to hammer a youngster like Bogle for a mistake, but lets not protect him by blaming someone else when he has booted the ball in his own net from 8 yards out. If he's going to make the grade as a footballer this is the sort of mental setback that he must come back stronger from, and I sincerely hope he does just that as he has been a revelation this season. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sage said:

I would suggest he back tracks when he sees Flint head it, he chooses to back track before assessing the flight of the ball. 

Not sure how you can suggest it was the right decision, when he could have moonwalked the 4 yards to the ball and caught it unchallenged and instead we conceded. 

Nope not for me, made the right call, had Bogle cleared it there would be no debate and given FL agrees is enough for me ?

Football is so easy from the stands and the TV.

53 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Nope not for me, made the right call, had Bogle cleared it there would be no debate and given FL agrees is enough for me ?

Football is so easy from the stands and the TV.

We conceded.

FL is hardly going to criticise his GK on live TV.

Football isn't easy but if you are going to use that argument, this forum is defunct.

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Any keeper that would have come off the line for either Gestade's missed header or the goal has no business playing in professional football. 

Lampard himself said Carson was absolutely right in not coming off the line for the goal.

The only reason to come off the line is because he knew Bogle would make a calamitous error. 

I understand not wanting to hammer a youngster like Bogle for a mistake, but lets not protect him by blaming someone else when he has booted the ball in his own net from 8 yards out. If he's going to make the grade as a footballer this is the sort of mental setback that he must come back stronger from, and I sincerely hope he does just that as he has been a revelation this season. 

The reason for the keeper to take six steps and catch it is that with five minutes to go, all pressure is relieved. It wasn't a difficult or low risk play. For me, Carson lacks confidence in this area (the dropped corner previous week will have been on his mind) and relies too much on his defender.

Sure of course Bogle could have done better, but he will learn from it. However, the most likely output of Bogle clearing that ball is a corner. Pressure remains against team full of six foot plus players. Carson coming out if his decision making is fine, is such a low risk play that it helps the team enormously. 

Lampard hasn't once criticised or picked out a player for criticism. Top management in my eyes (completely the opposite of some of our previous managers comments in the media post game). In a forum, we're allowed to debate and disagree!

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

The whole point is he didn't have to come 10 yards from his line. He was 6 yards out when Flint headed it and retreated 4 yards rather than coming forwards 4 yards for a routine catch. 

As I posted earlier, Carson is a great keeper, but this is his weak point. 

29 minutes ago, sage said:

We conceded.

FL is hardly going to criticise his GK on live TV.

Football isn't easy but if you are going to use that argument, this forum is defunct.

My point is not that these things shouldn’t be debated, however you have to take things as Carson sees it, not from a TV screen angle that you have the benefit off. He sees Bogle underneath the ball and decides not to come for it, right call for me.

I don’t see him coming out for crosses as a weakness, and coming off your line training in my opinion is ridiculous, I’m not a keeper though so would bow down to anyone who has that experience who thinks that’s a weakness of his though. 

6 hours ago, rammieib said:

Carson has to help the defence more. He's a static goaly who too often relies on his defence to win headers. Injury or not, that second ball has to be his today but countless times today he stayed on his line when he should have come off. 

Just a frustration in another decent performance.

Clearly you don't know about goal keepers... had Carson come for that and been stranded helplessly as they tap it into an open net you'd have started a thread about that... even a fully fit Carson wouldn't go for that and rightly so... just pure bad luck from a young lad who will learn 

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Carson wasn’t great today on the ball, but no way should he be flying out for that. Bogle should be able to deal with that, can’t be blaming others. Unfortunate but there we go, it’s the riverside, thinks never go our way up there.

Last Season?

4 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Clearly you don't know about goal keepers... had Carson come for that and been stranded helplessly as they tap it into an open net you'd have started a thread about that... even a fully fit Carson wouldn't go for that and rightly so... just pure bad luck from a young lad who will learn 

You're opinion fella. Others on here believes the four or five strides he could have made in two seconds would have been easy for him. Even could have called for Bogle to let it bounce and Carson catches it on the bounce in the air.

9 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

My point is not that these things shouldn’t be debated, however you have to take things as Carson sees it, not from a TV screen angle that you have the benefit off. He sees Bogle underneath the ball and decides not to come for it, right call for me.

He doesn't see Bogle under the ball, he made his decision to retreat as the players were still running back towards the ball. By the time he saw Bogle was getting to the ball first, it was already too late to come out again.

If a Boro forward had outpaced Bogle to the ball, it would have been more obvious. At the point he retreated Carson had no idea who was getting to the ball first. He just knew it wasn't him. 

Archived