Family days out this summer...

Parsnip

6 weeks... 2 kids...

I need ideas of how to keep them happy! Any ideas for local days out? I remember last summer on here people were talking about these family orientated music festivals - I seemed to hear about them after the event last summer!

What are you doing this summer with the kids that i should be doing???

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

6 weeks... 2 kids...

I need ideas of how to keep them happy! Any ideas for local days out? I remember last summer on here people were talking about these family orientated music festivals - I seemed to hear about them after the event last summer!

How old are your kids and what are they into?

Warwick castle is up there with other the best kids days out for me. Plus 2 for 1 vouchers available on cereal boxes .

White post farm is always a good day out. 

Splash landings is a good one too (Alton Towers water park ) 

Tropical butterfly house at south anston , not just what it says on the tin , all sorts of bits and bobs to do. 

Failing that , I'm always one for a good walk that involves finding a good free to use park. Woolatons quite good for that. 

3 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

7 and 2 - but the 2 year old is like a 5 year old. Both outdoorsy and active. 

https://goape.co.uk/adventures/junior

Need to be at least 1 meter tall for the tree top stuff, so might not be good for the 2 year old, the one at Dalby Forest theres kids adventure play ground across the road, bike hire, play centre, bunch there for family days out. Been there was alright.

The tree top course at Go Ape probably take no longer than 45 minutes to an hour.

One in Sherwood Forest that's closer though, no idea what else is to do around that one.

https://goape.co.uk/days-out/midlands/sherwood

11 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

White post farm is always a good day out

We went to Wheelgate Park opposite White Post Farm last weekend and it was really awesome - a brilliant outdoor waterslide park!downloadfile.jpg.eca917f6732decb551c1d01f886a9582.jpg

3 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

That looks frigging awesome - although my 2 year old girl would be the one shooting to the top while my 7 year old boy would be at the bottom questioning the strength of his straps.

The adult one is pretty high, I minced it, can't deal with heights so sent the missus round. Instead of a refund I got a go on the Segway tour and almost died. Deer shot across inches in front of me, instructor fell off his, but I managed to come to a stop whilst retaining full manliness. I returned a hero as the other instructors heard of my near miss. Never happened before apparently as the Deer tend to stay away from the area. 

Probably have a plaque with my name on the trail now. Might not though.

Borrow a friend's dog.  A spaniel would be ideal... soppy as you like and just like the kids, it will run all day long.

Put your feet up and leave 'em to it! ? 

More seriously though, the National Trust have a booklet - 50 things to do before you're 11 and 3/4.  Your 7 year old would love ticking things off in the list.  Link here: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/50-things-to-do-before-youre-11--activity-list

Also I would VERY HIGHLY recommend Treasure Trails.  Really cheap day out that the 7 year old will LOVE.  Finding clues to solve a puzzle.  Good exercise to boot.  We adults really like them too, as they are effectively guided walks around places we haven't been to before.  We've discovered lots of lovely towns and villages through Treasure Trails.  https://www.treasuretrails.co.uk/ 

Enjoy.

6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Borrow a friend's dog.  A spaniel would be ideal... soppy as you like and just like the kids, it will run all day long

Ha we have a dog - a boxer - who in this weather can run for 30 seconds before collapsing under a bush. Fortunately he's a keen swimmer and we have a river next to us so that's where he lives for the foreseeable future.

9 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

VERY HIGHLY recommend Treasure Trails. 

These are right up my 7 year olds street thanks for this!

Chatsworth has a massive park, play in the river and an adventure playground. You can go walking in the woods behind the house and find some waterfalls.

Lathkil Dale and Dovedale are probably the most kid friendly of the dales. 

Markeaton Park has loads to do for kids of all ages. Matlock Park is good too. Couple of small parks which are pretty good and have great pubs nearby are at Holbrook and Bargate near Belper.

The pumping stations at Middleton Top and High Peak Junction have some good open days too. 

Also setting up a tent in the back garden is fun for kids and a good intro to camping.

23 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Borrow a friend's dog.  A spaniel would be ideal... soppy as you like and just like the kids, it will run all day long.

Put your feet up and leave 'em to it! ? 

More seriously though, the National Trust have a booklet - 50 things to do before you're 11 and 3/4.  Your 7 year old would love ticking things off in the list.  Link here: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/50-things-to-do-before-youre-11--activity-list

Also I would VERY HIGHLY recommend Treasure Trails.  Really cheap day out that the 7 year old will LOVE.  Finding clues to solve a puzzle.  Good exercise to boot.  We adults really like them too, as they are effectively guided walks around places we haven't been to before.  We've discovered lots of lovely towns and villages through Treasure Trails.  https://www.treasuretrails.co.uk/ 

Enjoy.

Can't beat a good spaniel ! 

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

6 weeks... 2 kids...

The glow worm festival was fantastic last year & we're going again this time & camping Friday to Monday. Loads of kids activities & music etc over the weekend of 18-19th August, at Thoresby Park, Notts

http://glowormfestival.co.uk/news-blog/2018/1/22/gloworm-festival-2018-moves-to-thoresby-park

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

The glow worm festival was fantastic last year & we're going again this time & camping Friday to Monday. Loads of kids activities & music etc over the weekend of 18-19th August, at Thoresby Park, Notts

http://glowormfestival.co.uk/news-blog/2018/1/22/gloworm-festival-2018-moves-to-thoresby-park

Yes! I think that's what I saw you mention last year - thanks we'll definitely go to that.

5 hours ago, Parsnip said:

6 weeks... 2 kids...

Thomasland (Drayton Manor Park and zoo)

35 minutes ago, eddie said:

Thomasland (Drayton Manor Park and zoo)

Talking of Zoo's, Yorkshire Wildlife Centre in Doncaster is alright, not sure I like they have a Polar Bear though, keeping any animal locked up isn't right I guess, but a Polar Bear in Doncaster. Hmm.

Archived