John Terry v Vicki Sparks

Parsnip

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

It;s not diificult -

If you say you don't like a commentator and make reference to her gender then you should probably pause to ask yourself if there is a sexist undercurrent to what you are saying. Because if you don't then someone else is sure as hell going to point it out. If you can't deal with that then don't say it in the first place. There is real value in keeping some thoughts internal. It's sad that the majority of people who come out with this sort of thing do it to deliberately start arguments

If you say you don't like a commentator because they are crap then that's OK.

I think it's sad that you have to internalise thoughts because you might cause a negative reaction 'just' because you are commenting on a female performer.

As it happens I thought Vicki Sparks did a good job and will get better. But I don't like listening to Jacqui Oatley commentate because she shouts and gets over excitable in the tone of her voice. Neither did I like listening to Jonathan Pearce, for the same reason, though to be fair he has improved with experience.

Sith Happens
Just now, Grimbeard said:

Why is it scary? People are allowed to like or not like someone's voice.

Someone yes..an entire sex though? 

2 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I think it's sad that you have to internalise thoughts because you might cause a negative reaction 'just' because you are commenting on a female performer.

As it happens I thought Vicki Sparks did a good job and will get better. But I don't like listening to Jacqui Oatley commentate because she shouts and gets over excitable in the tone of her voice. Neither did I like listening to Jonathan Pearce, for the same reason, though to be fair he has improved with experience.

Jonathan Pierce always used to sound like he was still commentating in Robot Wars, even during a dull 0-0. 

13 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

That's not exactly what I said is it? Your observations on those two female commentators are absolutely fine because you don't bring their gender into it.

I'm talking about when people say "I don't like female commentators because they are female"

That's a perfectly valid opinion to have but it IS a sexist one.

All I'm suggesting is that if people want to post that opinion publicly on social media simply to start an argument, then they are part of the problem.

If people want to post that opinion publicly on social media for any other reason, then they need to think about what that reason is, and not have a hissy fit when someone points out that it's a sexist opinion.

The right to express that sexist opinion is absolutely equal to someone else's right to point out that it's a sexist opinion. There is a simple formula to cancel both sides of this equation out don;t you think?

I'm getting pretty bored of reading this sort of rubbish argument online, so au contraire - I don't think "it's sad that people should have to internalise their controversial thoughts because they might cause a negative reaction". There is no "might" about it. It will. So if they don't say them in the first place - everyone will be much happier, trust me

Archived