Mason Bennett

GadFly

45 minutes ago, curtains said:

This is the problem with having another new manager who has no idea about players like Bennett 

It was the same with Rowett at first. 

And you do? Then pray tell why Mel didn't employ you in the role?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bennett out wide not so good Bennett playing off a decent centre forward could be very good

remember Harry Kane was fairly naff in three loan spells at championship level with if my memory is correct Millwall QPR and somewhere else 

39 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No-one is saying Bennett is good. People are just saying he shouldn't be written off, and that your presented evidence for "proof" that he's bad isn't proving anything.

But I've been at similar stages of topics before and I know you'll just repeat yourself until people stop responding

The trouble with Curtains is that you can only open or close them. Hence repeat 

What constitutes a “chance”? It’s got to be a run of games in the team, right? 5 straight starts? 7? 10?

For one reason or another, be it our desperation for promotion or his constant injury problems, Mason hasn’t ever had that. He’s shown glimpses of real excellence, but never anything more. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve followed his progress since his debut under Clough, and I’ve never seen the lad look as fit and as sharp as he does now. It might well be that he needed that period of growing up to maximise his potential.

Along with Lowe, Elsnik and Thomas, I’d like to see Bennett given a “chance” this year. 

If I were backing a player to succeed at this level over another I agree that Walker currently looks the better long term prospect of the two. However, he wasn't even getting into the under 23s at the end of last season (carrying an injury?)

Bennett played well on the few cameo appearances he made for Derby last year and on that basis I too would like to see him given more game time for the first team next season if he can stay fit. Walker isn't at that stage yet for me.

Luckily we don't have to choose just one player to be given a chance to make it, maybe they both will, maybe they won't - time will tell.

What I do object to is you calling out other posters as amateurs when they disagree with your opinion, @curtains. Disagree with their opinion but please don't throw around personal insults. Unless you have got a professional qualification that makes you better able to judge players than other posters on here? (And even then I'd argue that not all professionals get it right!)

1 minute ago, angieram said:

If I were backing a player to succeed at this level over another I agree that Walker currently looks the better long term prospect of the two. However, he wasn't even getting into the under 23s at the end of last season (carrying an injury?)

Bennett played well on the few cameo appearances he made for Derby last year and on that basis I too would like to see him given more game time for the first team next season if he can stay fit. Walker isn't at that stage yet for me.

Luckily we don't have to choose just one player to be given a chance to make it, maybe they both will, maybe they won't - time will tell.

What I do object to is you calling out other posters as amateurs when they disagree with your opinion, @curtains. Disagree with their opinion but please don't throw around personal insults. Unless you have got a professional qualification that makes you better able to judge players than other posters on here? (And even then I'd argue that not all professionals get it right!)

Have these othe posters seen Bennett play no half of them haven’t so therefore they are amateurs when it comes to judging him. 

Just now, curtains said:

Have these othe posters seen Bennett play no half of them haven’t so therefore they are amateurs when it comes to judging him. 

The only people you were arguing with were myself and Andicis. I think Andicis watches youth games. Personally, I've watched Bennett a great deal, I'd wager at having watched more of him than you. 

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The only people you were arguing with were myself and Andicis. I think Andicis watches youth games. Personally, I've watched Bennett a great deal, I'd wager at having watched more of him than you. 

You think all the Academy players are great. 

You never criticize any of them. 

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

I am no amateur and I believe Bennett could do very well playing of a proper centre forward like Martin - Bennett is a goal scorer and is fast strong and a bit of a bull dog type and he just needs help and belief in him 

Just now, Sparkle said:

I am no amateur and I believe Bennett could do very well playing of a proper centre forward like Martin - Bennett is a goal scorer and is fast strong and a bit of a bul dog type and he just needs help and belief in him 

He is not a goalscorer that is the weakest part of his game. 

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

You think all the Academy players are great. 

You never criticize any of them. 

That's not true at all.

I don't criticize the ones I don't think are good (outside of comments during actual games), because what's the point in that? I'm not their coach, they won't listen to my critique and look to improve themselves, and their failings have no bearing on Derby's success. That would be negativity for the sake of it.

Just because the things I choose to say about the youth players are their positive traits, does not mean I think all of them are great. I don't actually think any of them, bar Elsnik, are "great". And Elsnik has the potential to never amount to anything.

But they all have the potential to be good senior players, because they do all have that potential, every youth player does. Even the ones I don't rate at their current age.

I take great care in being as reasonable as possible when talking about youth players, because I think it is important. That includes being realistic about their potential, but also realistic about the likelihood that I or anyone else is wrong about each individual.

I also think it's important to reiterate the fluid nature of a youth players current and potential ability when I see people post steadfast opinions on their quality, and how much they'll achieve in football. When I say this to anyone else, they don't change their opinion magically, but they tend to accept the possibility of them being proven wrong in the future. When I do it regarding any opinion you have you decide that you need to convince everyone how poo a certain player is.

I just think it's a strange attitude to have, that's all. Especially when your evidence presented usually amounts to, "I know what I'm talking about and you don't."

14 minutes ago, curtains said:

Which half would that be Curtains?

Please can everyone list their watching credentials for the benefit of Curtains.

(Rams TV and first team appearances don't count of course!!)

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

That's not true at all.

I don't criticize the ones I don't think are good, because what's the point in that? I'm not their coach, they won't listen to my critique and look to improve themselves, and their failings have no bearing on Derby's success. That would be negativity for the sake of it.

Just because the things I choose to say about the youth players are their positive traits, does not mean I think all of them are great. I don't actually think any of them, bar Elsnik, are "great". And Elsnik has the potential to never amount to anything.

But they all have the potential to be good senior players, because they do all have that potential. Even the ones I don't rate at their current age.

I take great care in being as reasonable as possible when talking about youth players, because I think it is important. That includes being realistic about their potential, but also realistic about the likelihood that I or anyone else is wrong about each individual.

I also think it's important to reiterate the fluid nature of a youth players current and potential ability when I see people post steadfast opinions on their quality, and how much they'll achieve in football. When I say this to anyone else, they don't change their opinion magically, but they tend to accept the possibility of them being proven wrong in the future. When I do it regarding any opinion you have you decide that you need to convince everyone how poo a certain player is.

I just think it's a strange attitude to have, that's all. Especially when your evidence presented usually amounts to, "I know what I'm talking about and you don't."

I don’t want to criticize for the sake of it but Bennett has had chances and been unlucky with injury. 

I mentioned Lewis Walker because he has potential and that’s all.  

What i do care about is Derby County and them continually having to change managers and then people saying this player and that player deserve more chances with the new manager hardly knowing how good they are. 

Rowett wanted to  give Bennett chances but lost faith and loaned him out. 

Now Frank comes in and will have to decide all over again and will rely on Darren Wassall to tell him how good they are and not us amateurs on here and I include myself in that .

But people think on  Bennett let’s give him a go but to what end. 

Jerome and Martin are far better as is Vydra and Wiemann etc etc 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Which half would that be Curtains?

Please can everyone list their watching credentials for the benefit of Curtains.

(Rams TV and first team appearances don't count of course!!)

What’s the viewing figures for RamsTV reserve matches then. 

You are an avid fan and see the players as better than they are. 

If they are good enough they will play in the first team when the manager and coaches think so .

People on this forum will have no say.  

Archived