World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Utterly ludicrous decision from Southgate.

It's not at all ludicrous if you look at it through a different lens.

The lens of, "okay so we are through, let me give players who need a break after playing 2 games in 5-days and who I want to avoid the risk of injury or being sent off time to recover"

Instead of the "I'm frightened of other teams" lens that too many people are presuming is the case.

Southgate has been there and done that.

And btw, some of use are old enough to remember McFarland being pushed into play for England soon after previously playing and blowing out his Achilles. 

6 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I was up for making changes but not that many. It's like when we had Barnsley in the cup.

It's actually nothing like that.

Comparing the intensity of the World Cup with about 2-weeks to go and the desire to win it to any domestic cup competition that stretches out over months, is like comparing a slight itch on the scrotum to knob cancer. 

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

It's actually nothing like that.

Comparing the intensity of the World Cup with about 2-weeks to go and the desire to win it to any domestic cup competition that stretches out over months, is like comparing a slight itch on the scrotum to knob cancer. 

Funny, but there was a big debate on here afterwards that went on for days about whether you should make changes, if so how many, and what responsibilities there were to the fans.

It's also a little different in that the caliber of the reserves of a World Cup squad are far superior to the reserves of a club team.

4 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Funny, but there was a big debate on here afterwards that went on for days about whether you should make changes, if so how many, and what responsibilities there were to the fans.

Your still comparing the World Cup that happens every 4 years, is the most hottly contested competition on the planet and every team on the planet lusts after.

To a competition that happens every year and most people will struggle to tell you who won 2-years ago and half the teams play their reserves.

I hope you're not a defense attorney. 

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

Your still comparing the World Cup that happens every 4 years, is the most hottly contested competition on the planet and every team on the planet lusts after.

To a competition that happens every year and most people will struggle to tell you who won 2-years ago and half the teams play their reserves.

I hope you're not a defense attorney. 

Is it a professional football match or not? Yes I'm comparing.

To be honest, the England team that is playing today is probably just as good as the England team that played in the first couple of matches so I don’t see it as the team bring significantly weakened. You should see it more as an opportunity to give the likes of Vardy, Rashford, Dier , Rose and Trent Alexander Arnold a chance, who have done nothing wrong and deserve their chance to start.

i fully understand giving the second team a run out when advancing from the group is already secure, but i find it curious that a situation has developed where neither team has incentive to win the game

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, ramit said:

i fully understand giving the second team a run out when advancing from the group is already secure, but i find it curious that a situation has developed where neither team has incentive to win the game

Not playing like there is no incentive 

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Nothing much wrong with the personnel but I don't much like the way we're playing.

Dier too slow in possession, Delph a bit of a weak link in midfield and both Jones and cahill seem to be hoofing it.

Dier  is dire lol 

Archived