World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

A bit premature with Senegal and Poland still to play, but I’m not expecting a classic... So, the following questions so far: Who or what has been your... (mine are in brackets)

- Game of the tournament (Spain vs Portugal)

- best result of the tournament (Russia’s 5-0 win)

- surprise of the tournament (Mexico 1-0 Germany)

- Most impressive display (From what I’ve seen, Mexico’s first-half display)

- best or favourite goal of the tournament (Nacho for Spain)

- player of the tournament (Ronaldo’s display against Spain was brilliant, even excluding the goals)

- most controversial  moment (England’s non-penalty when Kane was hauled over)

- biggest disappointment (I’d be inclined to say Argentina but that’s unfair on Iceland and they didn’t play that bad. From what I’ve seen, South Korea were awful and disappointed me most).

- Worst miss (Suarez vs Egypt)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Group H is probably the hardest to predict. Poland have largely been decent over the past few years. They were incredibly unlucky to lose to Portugal at Euro 2016. I'd have tipped them and Colombia as top two.

But who knows after the first round of results. They coud all end up on 4 points at this rate.

Senegal are very quick on the ball, incredibly athletic team.

They're very persistent with claiming injury though. They will stay down until play is stopped, no matter how long it takes.

To tangent quickly to the commentary teams - Ally McCoist is the best commentary analyst at this tournament by far. Kilbane is decent. The rest are ducking awful. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

To tangent quickly to the commentary teams - Ally McCoist is the best commentary analyst at this tournament by far. Kilbane is decent. The rest are ducking awful. 

Agree about McCoist, though hope he doesn't need a plumber in the near future after being less than complimentary about the Polish team...

Anyone else tempted by Colombia and Poland to qualify at 50/1?

I can see it happening. 

Colombia vs Poland and Senegal vs Japan next. Both draws.

Then in the final match, Colombia to beat Senegal by two goals and Poland to beat Japan by two goals. All finish on four points, Colombia and Poland go through on goal difference.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Anyone else tempted by Colombia and Poland to qualify at 50/1?

I can see it happening. 

Colombia vs Poland and Senegal vs Japan next. Both draws.

Then in the final match, Colombia to beat Senegal by two goals and Poland to beat Japan by two goals. All finish on four points, Colombia and Poland go through on goal difference.

Take it from me this is the worst World Cup to bet on. So unpredictable.

Archived