World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Going to be a very tough game, can’t work out if it’ll be boring or a good game, both got good good attacking players, the key tonight is we need to take the chances we get missed a few recently can’t see us getting that many tonight 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Southgate will use the same tactics that Klopp used in the champions league against Man City and Roma.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/07/jordan-henderson-on-how-working-under-gareth-southgate-is-the-same-as-jurgen-klopp/

Both Roma and City had superior midfields to Liverpool so rather than getting into a 'battle in the midfield', he instructed his centre backs Van Dijk and Lovren to bypass the midfield through long ball tactics where they hoofed it long to firmino to win headers and mane and salah took advantage of any lay offs. It wasn't pretty to watch but it was very effective. Tonight, no matter how good Rakitic and Modric are, they won't be able to do anything if the ball is in the air and if they do get it, they will be too deep to cause any harm. 

Spurs did the same to Real Madrid in the champions league group stages but to a lesser extent as they relied more so on Eriksen's pressing and in the last round, Russia actually did the same thing come to think of it in the last round against croatia by hoofing it to dzyuba.

The last thing you want to do against teams with superior midfields is to get into a passing battle with them.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Topram said:

Going to be a very tough game, can’t work out if it’ll be boring or a good game, both got good good attacking players, the key tonight is we need to take the chances we get missed a few recently can’t see us getting that many tonight 

I think there will be a few chances at both ends. Set pieces again could be crucial for England.

17 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I wonder if Southgate will use the same tactics that Klopp used in the champions league against Man City and Roma.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/07/jordan-henderson-on-how-working-under-gareth-southgate-is-the-same-as-jurgen-klopp/

Both Roma and City had superior midfields to Liverpool so rather than getting into a 'battle in the midfield', he instructed his centre backs Van Dijk and Lovren to bypass the midfield through long ball tactics where they hoofed it long to firmino to win headers and mane and salah took advantage of any lay offs. It wasn't pretty to watch but it was very effective. Tonight, no matter how good Rakitic and Modric are, they won't be able to do anything if the ball is in the air and if they do get it, they will be too deep to cause any harm. 

Spurs did the same to Real Madrid in the champions league group stages but to a lesser extent as they relied more so on Eriksen's pressing and in the last round, Russia actually did the same thing come to think of it in the last round against croatia by hoofing it to dzyuba.

The last thing you want to do against teams with superior midfields is to get into a passing battle with them.

I don't think England use their midfield anyway. The wingbacks tend to stay wide, Henderson acts as a lone central midfielder and then Alli, Lingaard and Sterling tend to run into spaces. We tend to play long passes when the ball does go forward.

I really don't think Croatia are at all that great. I think they have their own qualities, but I don't see them as any more dangerous or better than say Colombia. 

Their 3-0 win over Argentina has given them a perception of being a world class team. But Argentina were awful and up until the gift of the first goal which then allowed Croatia to easily counter, they were quite ordinary.

England, if they play anywhere near their potential, will win this game and potentially (like Sweden) quite comfortably too.

29 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Ooo all the Croatian players who were major doubts for this game are starting. Mind games by the Croatian boss over the last few days or they have no other choice. Big risk to chuck all of them back in

Not really sure why managers do it. As an opposing manager, you would surely always expect and train for the best of your opponent regardless. What did the Croatia boss hope to achieve by saying that? That England would slack off and take a few days off training and hit the Russian beaches because they thought a win against a weakened Croatia side would be in the bag?

Archived