18/19 Summer Transfers

Day

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, David said:

Chelsea loans still going out despite papers saying they are waiting until a new manager comes in

I don’t think the managers have anything to do with Chelsea’s youth system, even at that age bracket. 

Which explains why so few get a chance. 

7 hours ago, cannable said:

I don’t think the managers have anything to do with Chelsea’s youth system, even at that age bracket. 

Which explains why so few get a chance. 

They don't, it's a completely separated infrastructure. I don't remember when it was set up like that. I think during Mourinho's time but I could be wrong.

From a business perspective, it's hugely profitable. But from a football perspective they desperately need to downsize their academy and integrate it more.

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

They don't, it's a completely separated infrastructure. I don't remember when it was set up like that. I think during Mourinho's time but I could be wrong.

From a business perspective, it's hugely profitable. But from a football perspective they desperately need to downsize their academy and integrate it more.

You say integrate it more but how many players have come out of Chelsea’s academy and gone on to playing at the top level?

It’s not like they let them rot in the academy with U23 football, they go out on loan, first team football across Europe, play well but never really show enough to go on and play at the top level.

Josh McEachran was supposed to be a star, the next big thing, but he’s now 25 playing at Brentford. Nothing wrong with that, but he’s not hit those hype levels.

I’m guessing the finances are looking ok as it is, they make some decent money on moving players on with Chelsea on their CV, paid £1.5m for Bamford, numerous loans and 5 seasons later cash in for £6m with sell on fees.

Others that started out with Chelsea like Tammy Abraham will be a whopping profit. 

Guessing this all helps with FFP? Having assets on the books, 

They are playing the academy lottery with minimal cost, doesn’t make sense to downsize or integrate it. Is it bad for football? Maybe, but would the likes of Mount been given a chance at a club like Vitesse, European experience and shine.

10 minutes ago, David said:

You say integrate it more but how many players have come out of Chelsea’s academy and gone on to playing at the top level?

It’s not like they let them rot in the academy with U23 football, they go out on loan, first team football across Europe, play well but never really show enough to go on and play at the top level.

Josh McEachran was supposed to be a star, the next big thing, but he’s now 25 playing at Brentford. Nothing wrong with that, but he’s not hit those hype levels.

I’m guessing the finances are looking ok as it is, they make some decent money on moving players on with Chelsea on their CV, paid £1.5m for Bamford, numerous loans and 5 seasons later cash in for £6m with sell on fees.

Others that started out with Chelsea like Tammy Abraham will be a whopping profit. 

Guessing this all helps with FFP? Having assets on the books, 

They are playing the academy lottery with minimal cost, doesn’t make sense to downsize or integrate it. Is it bad for football? Maybe, but would the likes of Mount been given a chance at a club like Vitesse, European experience and shine.

Quite a lot, to be fair. But just not with Chelsea, because there's no integration with their first team.

As expensive as their youth structure is, they get fewer players stepping up into Chelsea's first team than most, a bigger proportion gets released. But the ratio of players who then get picked up around Europe's top leagues is quite high.

Now I completely understand the direction Chelsea took, because as I say it is HUGELY profitable for them. Far more profitable than basically any other academy in the world.

And maybe, if Chelsea don't have a ton of youths some of those youths never get picked up by anyone. So fair enough. Youth football is a big bag of ifs and maybes. I just, personally, would prefer it if it was more closely associated with their first team.

I don't think Chelsea will ever see it that way again, unless things start to go horribly wrong for them. It does far too much for them on the business side of things.

13 minutes ago, David said:

... Is it bad for football? Maybe, but would the likes of Mount been given a chance at a club like Vitesse, European experience and shine.

Yes, would they. We know that the name matters. Later the proof of the pudding...

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I just, personally, would prefer it if it was more closely associated with their first team.

In what way? Those that are deemed to be worth looking at, have trained with the first team and played, it’s not like they are completely ignored. Same at Derby, just smaller numbers that doesn’t allow us to shift so many out on loan to gain experience whilst remaining competitive in the U23 league.

3 minutes ago, David said:

In what way? Those that are deemed to be worth looking at, have trained with the first team and played, it’s not like they are completely ignored. Same at Derby, just smaller numbers that doesn’t allow us to shift so many out on loan to gain experience whilst remaining competitive in the U23 league.

Well my perspective on it may well be outdated as things seemed to improve under Conte, but when I spoke to folks at Chelsea's academy they always talked to me about how there wasn't really a path to the first team. How morale was often pretty low among the players because they didn't feel like they got opportunity to impress within the U21s, which gave them zero chance of being given opportunity in the first team.

But as I say, looking into it now, could be outdated. I've not spoken to anyone there since Conte came in and the U23 squad size seems to have already been downsized. It's about 30% smaller than it was a few years ago. If similar is true of the U18s and below then its likely not even the biggest in the country any more. So clearly I'm wishing for something that's already happened.

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Well my perspective on it may well be outdated as things seemed to improve under Conte, but when I spoke to folks at Chelsea's academy they always talked to me about how there wasn't really a path to the first team. How morale was often pretty low among the players because they didn't feel like they got opportunity to impress within the U21s, which gave them zero chance of being given opportunity in the first team.

But as I say, looking into it now, could be outdated. I've not spoken to anyone there since Conte came in and the U23 squad size seems to have already been downsized. It's about 30% smaller than it was a few years ago. If similar is true of the U18s and below then its likely not even the biggest in the country any more. So clearly I'm wishing for something that's already happened.

Pretty sure young players know what they are signing up to at Chelsea, working with top coaches at great facilities, better wage and opportunities to go out and gain first team football, with a maybe, just maybe they will make it.

Sure they will all hit the 21/22 point, couple of successful loans and feel they are due a chance, doesn’t look likely and move on, but they know the odds going in. Chelsea want to win Premier League titles and European cups, for those you need the likes of Eden Hazard, to take his place you will need to be something special, how many of those special players have slipped through their net and playing at successful top sides in Europe?

Loftus Cheek, 22 games for Chelsea, not sure he is at their level. Maybe a Everton will be peak for him.

Just now, David said:

Pretty sure young players know what they are signing up to at Chelsea, working with top coaches at great facilities, better wage and opportunities to go out and gain first team football, with a maybe, just maybe they will make it.

Sure they will all hit the 21/22 point, couple of successful loans and feel they are due a chance, doesn’t look likely and move on, but they know the odds going in. Chelsea want to win Premier League titles and European cups, for those you need the likes of Eden Hazard, to take his place you will need to be something special, how many of those special players have slipped through their net and playing at successful top sides in Europe?

Would involve investigation to answer that accurately, so I'll stick with "I don't know."

But, as I said in my last post - my perspective on Chelsea was outdated. Youth players did not used to enjoy being at Chelsea, s'all I know. And that wasn't true of youth players at other clubs who are looking to win PL and Champions League titles. 

As I say, again, though - looking into it now, it looks like things have improved. So fair play Chelsea.

I'm glad I spent this period of procrastination updated my knowledge though, it is an improvement of opinion. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

?

You have to say the £500k transfer fee in 2014 was excellent business when he started almost all of their games after signing midway through their promotion season.

2 years later he was one of their most instrumental figures in winning the Premier League.

And now, 4 years later, they're looking at a £59.5m profit. 

That's pretty astounding.

Archived