The myth of us having a strong squad.

England Ram

After watching that tonight and Listening to Rowett and the others on the radio, it got me thinking about the real strength of our squad that is touted about. 

It might be a reaction after such an abject performance, but I really don’t see the strong squad some of the pundits talk about. 

Having watch all season I know we were over achieving and lucky in a lot of games in thebgood run. Now that’s not the case we are left with a stark reality. (Yes, I know we are still 5th, and that is the infuriating thing. If some of these players were even slightly better we’d stand a chance. 

I thoght id run down the players and do a ‘is it worth us keeping and are they part of a ‘strong’ squad? 

Carson- Yes. Quality. Even with his age he’s a keeper (literally;) 

Keogh- Yes. Even after today’s mistake I think he is a top player. He has to get something going if those in front of him are so inept at passing the ball. 

Davies- Not long term. Good player but has one or two seasons left at most. 

Baird- No. Gone after this season. Contract runs out, just like his legs have. 

Forsyth- No. contract extension a mistake. I defended him earlier in the season but his mind is not strong enough never mind his play. 

Thorne- No (unless he finds his old self). Was one of our worst players and has been for most of the season. Not tackling, poor defensive positioning and passing atrocious. Not the same Thorne of old. 

Johnson- No. just not a very good footballer. 

Ledley- Not long term. Good player but age taken the toll and will continue to be injury prone. 

Huddlestone- Not long term. Age. Passing been great, but we will be trying to cover his glaring weakness as long as he plays. 

Wieman- No. Just not a very good footballer. Runs quickly and is good at that and occasionally finds the right thing, but overall poor. 

Lawrence- No not currently. BUT I’d keep If only to see if there is a player there that flatters to be. If not found next season get rid and cut your losses. 

Vydra- YES. The best player in the squad by a mile. Really hope we keep him. 

Jerome- No. just not a very good footballer. 

Nugent- No. Age.  could possibly give you 20 mins before he tires. 

Palmer- Yes, if only for a few more games before he goes back and thanks his lucky stars he’s no longer here. 

Winall- No. He’s injured and not even our player. If fit and ours he would still be a ‘maybe’. 

Pearce- No. Not played for two seasons and when he has he’s been bang average. 

Wisdom- Yes. Not brilliant, but still room to improve and doesn’t get bullied or left for pace. 

Olson- No. just not a very good defender. 

Anya- No. Average at what he does. 

Roos- Maybe. Not seen enough of him to say differently, which is a good thing as he is a stand in keeper. 

Hanson- No. Average footballer. 

Lowe- Maybe. Always injured so no idea long term but looked good when he did play. 

Thomas- No idea, not been given the chance. 

So, my opinion, is it a strong squad....NO! 

Is there hope for the future? Not the forseable unless some big changes happen. 

2019 is a big summer. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only players id be arsed about keeping are Carson, Wisdom and Vydra. The rest are either too old, been here too long or simply not much cop nowadays.

I worry alot of these players will be here again next season, the season after until contracts wind down.

Thorne, Forsyth and Pearce for example having been handed new deals recently.

We do have a strong squad its just that out better players are on loan to championship rivals 

bryson is better than anyone else we have in CM barring maybe ledley

im not a martin fan but he’s better than Cam Jam

In hindsight id probably take Nick Blackman he’d be an option ove Lawrence 

4 hours ago, G-Ram said:

We do have a strong squad its just that out better players are on loan to championship rivals 

bryson is better than anyone else we have in CM barring maybe ledley

im not a martin fan but he’s better than Cam Jam

In hindsight id probably take Nick Blackman he’d be an option ove Lawrence 

Neither Martin or Jerome are the answer 

It's a complete rebuild as it was two seasons ago.

Only saleable asset now is Vydra and to balance the books and provide some transfer funds he goes.

We're then left with ageing legs that are a year older, a mixture of journeyman,under performers and untried youth.

Hard times ahead !

8 hours ago, England Ram said:

After watching that tonight and Listening to Rowett and the others on the radio, it got me thinking about the real strength of our squad that is touted about. 

It might be a reaction after such an abject performance, but I really don’t see the strong squad some of the pundits talk about. 

Having watch all season I know we were over achieving and lucky in a lot of games in thebgood run. Now that’s not the case we are left with a stark reality. (Yes, I know we are still 5th, and that is the infuriating thing. If some of these players were even slightly better we’d stand a chance. 

I thoght id run down the players and do a ‘is it worth us keeping and are they part of a ‘strong’ squad? 

Carson- Yes. Quality. Even with his age he’s a keeper (literally;) 

Keogh- Yes. Even after today’s mistake I think he is a top player. He has to get something going if those in front of him are so inept at passing the ball. 

Davies- Not long term. Good player but has one or two seasons left at most. 

Baird- No. Gone after this season. Contract runs out, just like his legs have. 

Forsyth- No. contract extension a mistake. I defended him earlier in the season but his mind is not strong enough never mind his play. 

Thorne- No (unless he finds his old self). Was one of our worst players and has been for most of the season. Not tackling, poor defensive positioning and passing atrocious. Not the same Thorne of old. 

Johnson- No. just not a very good footballer. 

Ledley- Not long term. Good player but age taken the toll and will continue to be injury prone. 

Huddlestone- Not long term. Age. Passing been great, but we will be trying to cover his glaring weakness as long as he plays. 

Wieman- No. Just not a very good footballer. Runs quickly and is good at that and occasionally finds the right thing, but overall poor. 

Lawrence- No not currently. BUT I’d keep If only to see if there is a player there that flatters to be. If not found next season get rid and cut your losses. 

Vydra- YES. The best player in the squad by a mile. Really hope we keep him. 

Jerome- No. just not a very good footballer. 

Nugent- No. Age.  could possibly give you 20 mins before he tires. 

Palmer- Yes, if only for a few more games before he goes back and thanks his lucky stars he’s no longer here. 

Winall- No. He’s injured and not even our player. If fit and ours he would still be a ‘maybe’. 

Pearce- No. Not played for two seasons and when he has he’s been bang average. 

Wisdom- Yes. Not brilliant, but still room to improve and doesn’t get bullied or left for pace. 

Olson- No. just not a very good defender. 

Anya- No. Average at what he does. 

Roos- Maybe. Not seen enough of him to say differently, which is a good thing as he is a stand in keeper. 

Hanson- No. Average footballer. 

Lowe- Maybe. Always injured so no idea long term but looked good when he did play. 

Thomas- No idea, not been given the chance. 

So, my opinion, is it a strong squad....NO! 

Is there hope for the future? Not the forseable unless some big changes happen. 

2019 is a big summer. 

A lot of NOs! But a fair post, shows how out of form we are and how fans see our near future. I worry about competition for places. Forstyth just doesn't look like a good footballer. He makes rash decisions, doesn't make good runs down the wings when it's screaming for an overlapping player. Thorne seems to have lost a bit of his game after injuries. Johnson seemed wild and aimless last night. Jerome does not appear to be a good quality striker. Nugent has become an anonymous ghost of his former self. Although these two could argue where is the service? Keogh and Carson are quality. Keogh had a poor match yesterday though. Weimann lacks quality needed at this level. Lawrence looks great for 2 or 3 matches, then completely anonymous.

I don't think the squads that bad ! Its not good granted but with a few tweaks. Could be good ! 

Carson , Davies and Vydra were the only players that looked ok at best last night the rest were god awful . 

For me the team needs to be built around Vydra , he's the key , he's on a different level to everyone else in the squad. 

I'd honestly look at dropping Keogh , if we're going to continue to play 4 at the back , try it for a game , try playing Wisdom there next to Davies. The guy probably needs a rest he was quality up untill 8 or so games ago when mistakes started creeping into his game.

If you are going to go youth I think you need blend it with the first team. If we continue playing 4231 could line up like this next season.

Carson 

Stabana.    Wisdom.  Davies.  Lowe 

Elsnilk.    Huddlestone

Lawrence.      Vydra.        Thomas 

Vernam

With the introductions of Bird Guy babos Barnes McCalister 

Obviously only rough but just putting the idea across of mixing youth and experience.

Archived