Beatles or Stones?

Stripperg-ram

Beatles or Stones?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, David said:

Click show results, that's your neither option, that's what I did. 

We used to play a game on another forum called This or That. It was a simple game, you had a choice of two things be it Cheese & Onion or Smokey Bacon, Apple or Samsung, Ford Or Vauxhall, you get my drift, you picked your choice then left another pair for somebody else.

I tried it here in the early days but the smart Alec’s/comedians ensured it never took off. Shame really, it ran for hundreds of pages, it was a bit of fun and a time filler during international breaks and the close season.

1 minute ago, Pearl Ram said:

We used to play a game on another forum called This or That. It was a simple game, you had a choice of two things be it Cheese & Onion or Smokey Bacon, Apple or Samsung, Ford Or Vauxhall, you get my drift, you picked your choice then left another pair for somebody else.

I tried it here in the early days but the smart Alec’s/comedians ensured it never took off. Shame really, it ran for hundreds of pages, it was a bit of fun and a time filler during international breaks and the close season.

Apple or Samsung? No wonder it didn't take off, what kinda daft question is that?!

24 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

How were they a boy band?

They were boys, and they sang I wanna hold your hand, I wanna hold your ha-aa-aa-a-aaaaand, while young girls screamed at them. 

4 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I WISH YOU'D STOP SAYING THAT LAMBCHOP!!!

???

5 minutes ago, David said:

Although generally described as a rock band, the highest-selling band in history The Beatles are considered by a number or journalists "the first" or "the original" boyband, "before anyone had thought of the term."[4]

Wiki never lies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_band

They were "the first" and "the original" a lot of things. 

9 minutes ago, David said:

Apple or Samsung? No wonder it didn't take off, what kinda daft question is that?!

:lol: I put that option in with you in mind. An Apple man myself, that would have been one of the easier choices, imagine where the thread would go if choices were May or Corbin, or Brexit or Remain.

3 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

They were boys, and they sang I wanna hold your hand, I wanna hold your ha-aa-aa-a-aaaaand, while young girls screamed at them.

Yeah but... but... you know... don't you think they made contributions later on? 

Lyrically, musically... are you comparing them to take that? You must see the difference...

I don't like it.

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

???

That’s all they could sing in those days otherwise they would have been heavily censored, times were very different in the early 60’s, Jesus, some television channels wouldn’t even show Elvis below the waist as his moves were considered indecent.

I’m sure JPG&R would have had more fun singing I wanna suck your t*ts but it wasn’t the done thing in those days. 

2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

And they wrote those songs themselves while The Rolling Stones were doing Chuck Berry covers. After they put themselvs together rather than being put together like an actual manufactured boy band like The Monkees, defying their management on occasion. And then they took a leaf out of Dylan’s book and stopped singing songs like that to sing counter-culture psychedelic songs with backwards guitar solos and sitars with drug references and talk of revolution and not to mention concept albums, inspiring others to do the same.

I think the term boy band means something different to you than it does to me.

4 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

That’s all they could sing in those days otherwise they would have been heavily censored, times were very different in the early 60’s, Jesus, some television channels wouldn’t even show Elvis below the waist as his moves were considered indecent.

I’m sure JPG&R would have had more fun singing I wanna suck your t*ts but it wasn’t the done thing in those days. 

Exactly. And The Beatles, possibly more than any other band/artist, are one of the reasons we’re still not stuck in that cutesy period.

I loved their early stuff though. Like a lot of old music it weirdly makes me nostalgic for a time period for which I wasn’t even around. Recently rewatching American Graffiti for the first time in years reminded me how good The Beach Boys early stuff was as well, another great ‘boy band’ who went on to make more artistsic stuff later.

12 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

They were "the first" and "the original" a lot of things. 

I just don’t like anything about them. None of them were great vocalists, instrumentalists or performers, and I find the vast majority of their songs really irritating. They had nothing of significance to say and they perpetuated naff, adolescent stereotypes.  Their films were also excruciatingly dull.

Compared to the output of the Stones, Dylan, Neil Young, or even the Doors or the Byrds, they were lightweight in the extreme.

Archived