Ozil.... Oh dear

SKRam

So he’s now on 350k A WEEK. Wow just wow. He’s not even consistent in my opinion. This is the craziest ‘deal’ I think I’ve ever heard. Ok he’s been decent last few weeks but I’m utterly staggered at this. Expect more unrest at Arsenal, what a shame :lol:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanchez is worse isn't it? 

Is he really THAT good? Did Arsenal really have a Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi etc on their hands? Ridiculous hype. 

But yeah, 350k for Ozil. That's gotta be Arsenal panicking about losing too many top players rather than him being drowned in offers for more money.

Maybe he reached out to China?

I struggle to understand Wenger and his transfer dealings over the last 6 or 7 years. It's been obvious that they have not had the proverbial 'spine', being particularly weak in defence and not having an effective shield for the back 4. The protests by a significant part of their fan base is completely understandable - in Sanchez, Ozil and Van Persie they've had top quality players on the books but weakness in key areas has meant that by and large, their talents have been wasted. 

The dilemma with Ozil was do they pay him this obscene wage (£60m over the duration of the new contract) or let him leave for nothing in the summer and replace - not sure who they could sign as good within that £60m (including salary).

If they have any hope of regaining, at the very least, a top 4 position to guarantee future Champions League participation, Arsenal have got some huge decisions to make - another 2 year extension for Wenger hasn't helped.

I can understand it. He's inconsistent, but you'd probably still put him up there in that bracket for top attacking midfielders in the world. If they lost him for nothing, how much do you think a replacement who's as good as him would cost now days? Let's say they find a world class attacking midfielder for £60 million, which in itself would be a struggle. Say he wants 200k a week and a 4 year deal, you're looking at around £100 million for his fee and wages and that doesn't include any agent or signing on fees. 350k a week for Ozil for 4 years is still around £30 million cheaper than replacing him. As transfer fees rise, so will wages

I think we'll probably start seeing a lot more players letting their contracts run down. They can either negotiate huge deals with their current clubs, or do what Sanchez appears to have done and get ridiculous wages because the club aren't having to pay a huge fee to sign you

350k is a lot but not when you compare that to Sanchez's wages. Ozil is the most naturally gifted and talented player in the premier league. His stats are just as good as De Bruyne's but he's playing in a much worse team whilst only playing at 50% of his ability most of the time. Mourinho said Ozil is by far the best number 10 in the world, he isn't stupid, he would have seen Ozil day in day out at Real Madrid. 

Ozil when motivated is easily a top 10 player in the world, maybe even top 5 but he's won everything so it's understandable that he isn't as motivated as he used to be. Put Ozil in the Man City team then he'd easily have better stats than David Silva and De Bruyne. The English media have had an agenda against Ozil ever since he ripped England apart in the 2010 World Cup and particularly embarrassed the English darling Gerrard.

Archived