U23s v Liverpool

Day

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hope that dreadful deeat to Sunderland doesn't come back to bite us. A very good performance today against league leaders Liverpool, but in an echo of first team football Liverpool scored the only goal to win it with five minutes to go.

Walker especially but also stabana and Babos were presented with fine chances they didn't take. Thomas hit the bar from a freekick with the keeper beaten all ends up. Walker was through in the first half and cynically taken out by the Liverpool keeper, but the goalie stayed on the pitch as the offence was fairly wide. It looked for a long time as if we were going to keep a cleansheet with everyone playing for their places after the club brought in a new centre half. Josh Barnes played well though was lucky not to concede a penalty and had no chance with the goal.

I don't get that we waited 90 minutes before making our first and only substitution. I can only imagine the thinking is that results are unimportant and the brief was to test out the fitness of the players. That would be all very well if we'd beaten Sunderland, but because we didn't we're not secure in the division for next season. We've not won for a long time now and that has to change soon.

Lots of good play but not clinical enough and plenty of sloppy/careless passing to put ourselves under pressure.

team of real kids from us against the likes of Danny Ward, Woodman, Flanagan - so no suprise in defeat, but in truth we could have done better with calmer heads. Have to wonder about the selection - as Carl Sagan rightly says we do have a risk of relegation....seems like quite a long list of players - Roos/Mitchell, Hanson, Martin, Bennett, Anya, maybe Ollson that are not likely to feature on Tuesday - are we protecting them all for loans ? 

Credit to Barnes, Bogle, Thomas (as usual)

On 28 January 2018 at 15:00, Carl Sagan said:

Really hope that dreadful deeat to Sunderland doesn't come back to bite us. A very good performance today against league leaders Liverpool, but in an echo of first team football Liverpool scored the only goal to win it with five minutes to go.

Walker especially but also stabana and Babos were presented with fine chances they didn't take. Thomas hit the bar from a freekick with the keeper beaten all ends up. Walker was through in the first half and cynically taken out by the Liverpool keeper, but the goalie stayed on the pitch as the offence was fairly wide. It looked for a long time as if we were going to keep a cleansheet with everyone playing for their places after the club brought in a new centre half. Josh Barnes played well though was lucky not to concede a penalty and had no chance with the goal.

I don't get that we waited 90 minutes before making our first and only substitution. I can only imagine the thinking is that results are unimportant and the brief was to test out the fitness of the players. That would be all very well if we'd beaten Sunderland, but because we didn't we're not secure in the division for next season. We've not won for a long time now and that has to change soon.

Lots of good play but not clinical enough and plenty of sloppy/careless passing to put ourselves under pressure.

Subs might be difficult as so many players have been loaned out the u23s are down to bare bones. Thanks for the update Carl Sagan... I take it we don't have thousands and thousands of stars? 

Archived