Stewards

richinspain

I’d like to give a big thank you to the stewards who were at pitch level down in the corner between East Stand and the away fans. A friend of mine who is a Burton fan (yes, I know) who I get to see very rarely now obviously was in with the away fans and phoned me at half time to see where I was. I had gone down into the corner to see if I could see him and so he came down to talk to me. Obviously there is a gap between the two sets of fans and I asked if I could cross over to greet him. I was told that it was absolutely impossible, but I don’t know if it was because of look of devastation on our faces but I was told by the female steward (don’t know if stewardess is allowed due to pc) that I had got 30 seconds and no more because they were being controlled by the boss. Anyway, to get to the point, if she is reading I want to say a very big thank you to her and her colleagues for letting me pass. My friend has been having a rough time lately as his wife has been really ill and it’s the first time i’ve been over since she was diagnosed. Due to our commitments these few days i’m over I don’t know if we will be able to meet up again this trip. We only had a few minutes together (both the stewards and us ignored the 30 seconds) but it was quite emotional. Thank you very much to all the stewards down in that corner for ignoring the rules (a bit of common sense should be allowed surely) and in particular to the very considerate girl/lady for allowing me to pass (plus it can’t be too often they get to see two opposing fans having a hug in no-man’s land).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Moist One said:

just wondering why you couldn't meet up in car park or bar, before or after the game and had a bit more time together.

I went with my dad and brother-in-law, and due to work time restrictions from our end we were unable to. I phoned him when I was arriving at the ground but he was unable to get to see me, and afterwards we had to leave quick (yes, we stayed in our seats until the final whistle  ?).

11 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

The fact the rule is your not allowed to see each other shows everything thats wrong with modern football and modern stewarding.

Its not the 80s anymore... and its Burton Albion FFS.

nope, it's not the stewards, or the stewarding, it's the minority of idiots within the crowd who would cause problems. I'll give you a scenario whereby a known supporter of the opposition is sitting with a family member in the home end, when the away team score. The away fan doesn't celebrate, as he is in the home end, but his family member turns around and calls him a lucky git or something similar, home fans behind here this and react, creating a set of handbags type fighting. An innocent kid next to it gets knocked over in the pushing and shoving....

by the way, this did happen, when I was a steward. 

27 minutes ago, Moist One said:

nope, it's not the stewards, or the stewarding, it's the minority of idiots within the crowd who would cause problems. I'll give you a scenario whereby a known supporter of the opposition is sitting with a family member in the home end, when the away team score. The away fan doesn't celebrate, as he is in the home end, but his family member turns around and calls him a lucky git or something similar, home fans behind here this and react, creating a set of handbags type fighting. An innocent kid next to it gets knocked over in the pushing and shoving....

by the way, this did happen, when I was a steward. 

I can understand perfectly the need for rules, but a bit of common sense applied with the situation taken into account should also be applauded. I certainly wouldn’t want the stewards involved getting into trouble for what was really a bit of compassion.

46 minutes ago, richinspain said:

We must be the Germans, because he’s always been called tommy due to his surname 

To be honest Burton are more akin to Italy. Stood firm for the first 80 mins of the battle and then surrendered 

On 03/12/2017 at 13:31, jagerbob said:

The fact the rule is your not allowed to see each other shows everything thats wrong with modern football and modern stewarding.

Its not the 80s anymore... and its Burton Albion FFS.

Absolutely

I took my missus to watch the Liverpool cup game last year, as she's a fan, and we were living in Derby at the time. Could only get home seats, so I had to shush her when they did well, ask her to sit down and not celebrate when they scored.

I didn't want to be associated with a Liverpool fan.

Archived