Barnsley F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are very lucky to be able to choose from martin and nugent... Plus winnall  and bent. To play alongside vydra who is the division top scorer. 

17 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I can think of two occasions this season in which Martin has used his nouse to contribute to a Derby goal, and I'm sure there would be more if he were to have more minutes.

Go to 1:28. Look at the way he draws the defender away from Weimann, who goes on to exploit the space and smash home:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11164011/barnsley-0-3-derby

Go to 0:40. Track Martin's run from deep, bringing his marker to the front post, which leaves space for Johnson to finish:

http://www.skysports.com/football/sland-vs-derby/374619

These moments won't go onto his goal or assist tallies. But they're an example of his footballing intelligence.

Also Vydra's goal as well. He draws the defender to the near post to leave the space in the middle of the goal for Vydra, also has to be commended for leaving the ball for Vydra as well. Shows how unselfish he is and his awareness for where Vydra is. He could have easily tried to control and shot on his own but knew that Vydra had the better/easier chance to score.

20 minutes ago, rynny said:

Also Vydra's goal as well. He draws the defender to the near post to leave the space in the middle of the goal for Vydra, also has to be commended for leaving the ball for Vydra as well. Shows how unselfish he is and his awareness for where Vydra is. He could have easily tried to control and shot on his own but knew that Vydra had the better/easier chance to score.

Yep that's fair comment and a bit that fans often miss and it was clear that vydra knew the part martin played in it when he went to him to celebrate ,,, it's clear though that they need a bit of work in terms of not taking each other's space and roles and the rest of the team need to get used to martins strengths and weaknesses when he is on the pitch as often martin is being given passes that expose his lack of pace , I've been very clear that I believe martin has a place in our squad because he brings something a bit different ,a plan b if you like but it's going to take work for the team to naturally adjust between martin/vydra and nugent/vydra 

5 minutes ago, archied said:

Yep that's fair comment and a bit that fans often miss and it was clear that vydra knew the part martin played in it when he went to him to celebrate ,,, it's clear though that they need a bit of work in terms of not taking each other's space and roles and the rest of the team need to get used to martins strengths and weaknesses when he is on the pitch as often martin is being given passes that expose his lack of pace , I've been very clear that I believe martin has a place in our squad because he brings something a bit different ,a plan b if you like but it's going to take work for the team to naturally adjust between martin/vydra and nugent/vydra 

Totally agree, there have been snippets of it working but it will take time, sometimes partnerships click straight away sometimes it takes a bit longer. Hopefully we give them an opportunity and a run of games to see if they can form a good partnership. No point binning it after 2-3 games.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Totally agree, there have been snippets of it working but it will take time, sometimes partnerships click straight away sometimes it takes a bit longer. Hopefully we give them an opportunity and a run of games to see if they can form a good partnership. No point binning it after 2-3 games.

I'm sure they will be working on it in training , rowett seems to want to be able to change things up ,my bet is that the kind of keeping the same team is something that will become more fluid over time , we appear to have a system in place that is kind of solid and in the main winning games and I'm betting it's taken hard work on shape and tactics to get us there ,next step is getting the team comfortable to change it up for and during games ? It's not just about martin adapting to fit the style it's also about getting the team to adapt to a different style with martin when needed , I'm happy to trust rowett to get it right ,hard to deny that he seems to have the knack of getting results and I honestly don't find his football boring or dull

watched the city v united game yesterday ( unusual for me ) and as much as city can look fantastic passing it round I have to say that if I was a city fan there's a big part of them that would frustrate the **** out of me ,, constant overplaying I would be thinking ffs have a shot and how often did they **** around and lose the ball in dangerous places 

Archived