A bit of puppy advice required?

RiddingsRam

Got our first family dog a little more than 4 weeks ago . English springer spaniel , called him Tom and all in all he's doing really well , house trained , crate trained , good on the lead , but ....my partner more than myself is concerned about his biting , now I know puppies bite but he's started lunging and biting at all family members and also you don't seem to be able to sit and stroke/play with him without him biting you. Now I'm quite sure this is probably normal puppy behaviour but I wanted some reassurance s from people who have more experience than I have. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

It's normal - give out a little high pitched yelp when Tom puts his teeth on you and stop the play for a second. Just like his litter mates would do if he bit them. 

Be like a pup!

Thanks , been trying that I'll keep persisting. Thanks again for the advice.

And make sure when he uses his teeth gently or starts licking that you encourage that sort of behaviour with praise.  Encourage the good behaviour and disencourage bad behaviour firmly (but not angrily) and he'll learn soon enough.

It's normal for him to want to chew everything at that age.  Be prepared for him to chew something to pieces when you are not looking, so don't leave anything you value lying about.

Like I said the biting /mouthing I expected but it's the lunging and hard biting that was causing me concern , with having young children the last thing I want is a nasty dog. But as if many think on here its normal puppy behaviour and not agression it make my task easier. (A tad)

We've had four cocker spaniels all from puppies and they've all gone through the chewing stage Riddings. Our two (one 8, one 3) now have the gentlest mouths though one of them still needs to be reminded when food is on offer. As puppies I think it's probably the same urge that makes children put everything in their mouths at some stage and also relief when adult teeth start coming through.

As the others have said, encourage the good behaviour and discourage what you don't want him to do. You all - children, wife and you - have to be consistent in what you allow and don't allow so that he gets the same messages; try distraction therapy - you can get chews that are hard going even for puppies - or a toy that's his; try to limit the opportunities for him to chew things you value so that you're not angry or upset with him; keep him as entertained and therefore as distracted as possible. They're hard work puppies, like kids, but worth it.

3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

We've had four cocker spaniels all from puppies and they've all gone through the chewing stage Riddings. Our two (one 8, one 3) now have the gentlest mouths though one of them still needs to be reminded when food is on offer. As puppies I think it's probably the same urge that makes children put everything in their mouths at some stage and also relief when adult teeth start coming through.

As the others have said, encourage the good behaviour and discourage what you don't want him to do. You all - children, wife and you - have to be consistent in what you allow and don't allow so that he gets the same messages; try distraction therapy - you can get chews that are hard going even for puppies - or a toy that's his; try to limit the opportunities for him to chew things you value so that you're not angry or upset with him; keep him as entertained and therefore as distracted as possible. They're hard work puppies, like kids, but worth it.

Thank for the advice ilkley?

We had the same with our Whippet, Walter. I agree with all of the above, high pitched yelp etc. Really worked as he was a bugger with my wife.

The other thing we did was when he bit, put him in to a room where he has nothing, we used the laundry, and close the door for a minute, then let him back out, does it again then repeat. They soon learn.

Enjoy your pup!!

Archived