A spot of trivia

ramsbottom

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11 October 2017 at 12:35, loweman2 said:

Here is a game for the older contingent, we have all see the more familiar picture of Mr Clough and the team of legends that won the First Division Championship in 1971/72 but there was another picture taken that day of the wider squad who also won the Texaco cup and the reserves won the Central League.

so lets see how many we can name

1971-72 club picture.jpg

Front row extreme left: i played with once - gary? something.

He was very bubbly and friendly. Played for belper when i had my finest hour. I went training with them once and we played a match before heading off to run up and down a hill. Peter daniel was also playing. I scored a hat trick including one goal i'll never forget...cross from the right by the assistant player manager, headed back across goal by peter daniel and then i come in with a diving header! I never scored a diving header before or since. After all the running up and down the hill i was absolutely shagged. I was so tired i couldn't even kick start my motorbike! I never went back.

Played 1 scored 3 was my entire playing career - even it wasn't actually a proper game.

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

Front row extreme left: i played with once - gary? something.

He was very bubbly and friendly. Played for belper when i had my finest hour. I went training with them once and we played a match before heading off to run up and down a hill. Peter daniel was also playing. I scored a hat trick including one goal i'll never forget...cross from the right by the assistant player manager, headed back across goal by peter daniel and then i come in with a diving header! I never scored a diving header before or since. After all the running up and down the hill i was absolutely shagged. I was so tired i couldn't even kick start my motorbike! I never went back.

Played 1 scored 3 was my entire playing career - even it wasn't actually a proper game.

Still trying to hunt down the name of the player...tommo?......sad to discover that the assistant manager who made the cross for my goal has since died....

Under the managership of Ivan Hollett and the late John Harrison, the Nailers won the Midland League Championship and the Derbyshire Senior Cup. 

Read more at: http://www.belpernews.co.uk/sport/50th-anniversary-for-nailers-1-585594

ANy belper town fans out there ?

Turns out he was a bit of an Alfreton Town legend....

John Harrison may be an unfamiliar name to all the Shaymen faithful but he’s far from that when it comes to Alfreton Town. The former Reds player holds the record for number of appearances and goals scored – with 560 outings, scoring 303 goals in that time.

On 11 October 2017 at 12:35, loweman2 said:

Here is a game for the older contingent, we have all see the more familiar picture of Mr Clough and the team of legends that won the First Division Championship in 1971/72 but there was another picture taken that day of the wider squad who also won the Texaco cup and the reserves won the Central League.

so lets see how many we can name

1971-72 club picture.jpg

trevor thompson - front row extreme left

Then 11 years later, playing for belper - see below. He was a good player.

http://www.non-leagueclubdirectory.co.uk/index.php/clubs/club-year/belper-town-1982-1983

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 14:56, loweman2 said:

well if this is not the definition of a footballer I don't know what is mate ?

Capture.JPG

Yes because he was THE best manager ever you forget what a brilliant footballer he was I know he scored his goals in the second tier.

But still worth 10 of millions in today's over inflated market. Didn't see him play in the flesh (too young LOL). My dad had the privilege of watching him in his England appearances. I know that we of certain age are unbelieveably lucky to witness those management skills, games that will remain in memory (hopefully) till I slip away from this life. I can still bore anybody to death about 1968/69 even though I was seven years old at the time, but you sort of knew what was happening and expected that what happened consequently was inevitable.

On 11 October 2017 at 21:52, Dordogne_Ram said:

Here goes ! :

Back Row :  Alan Lewis ?,  Peter Daniel,  Jeff Bourne (RIP), Tony Bailey ?, John Sims, ?,  Barry Butlin, Tony Parry (RIP), Jim Walker, ?, ?.

Second Row : Sir Brian (RIP), Jimmy Gordon (RIP), ?, John McGovern, Graham Moseley, Roy McFarland, Colin Boulton, Ron Webster, John Robson (RIP), Alan Hinton, Alan Durban, Terry Hennessey, (little) Archie Gemmill, Gordon Guthrie (RIP), John Sheridan.

Front Row : Ricky Marlow ?, Frank Wignall, Peter Taylor ( RIP), ?, Sydney Bradley, Sir Robertson King, Sam Longson, Fred Walters, Jack Kirkland ?, Mike Keeling, Stuart Webb (Secretary), Kevin Hector, Colin Todd.

On grass : 4th left : Steve Powell, others not known.

Over to you!

John turner between john sims and barry butlin.

Archived