For once back the manager

Barney1991

9 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

In hindsight I think PC tried to be too clever week in, week out.  He couldn't stop tinkering, sometimes it pays to have a settled side for a few games.  After the Leeds game, where he needlessly rested a few players, the wheels began to fall off...

Yes but everyone accepted that he came to the club as an inexperienced manager, albeit with an excellent coaching CV.  He was supposed be on a learning curve, so a few mistakes you would think acceptable. Not as if we were at the bottom of the league. On the contrary, we were very close to the top!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Rowett.... but really a 'back the manager' topic after three games... after wolves we should have sacked him, then after preston were going up... beat bolton & its top of the league stuff but lose or draw sack him totally inept

think we all need to calm down give rowett a chance we'll win some & lose some.. it happens 

Rowett is Mel's man. He wanted him at the club previously but he wasn't available. So this means we're stuck with him (hopefully!) but then again Clement was also Mel's man.

Personally I was disappointed when we sacked McClaren as under him our form was virtually play off form, we were hamstrung by our start under Lord Ostrich! 

Rowett is more pragmatic and certainly different to the route we were following under McClaren. I think this to some degree is a good thing, under McC we had to play perfect football to win games, didn't have enough steel to grind out results. Rowett has addressed this with his signings.

I think Rowett gets a bad press from some for the way his team played at Brum and this in my view is wrong. He manages according to what he has available to him. He wont turn Derby into another Birmingham, more mould a team that has previously played attractive football to be better at the ugly side of the game. This can only be a good thing.

Its a gradual process, Wolves wasn't good and Rowett should look at himself for that. Preston was more like it, positive signs but with more work to do (as it normally is early season). 

With the signings of Lawrence and Huddlestone, no one can say he hasn't addressed the creativity element of the team now. We also have creativity in Vydra and Martin. Just need some more legs in midfield now if possible. Easier said than done especially as there are players that need to be shipped out and this is never easy.

Im convinced if we stick with him to the end of his contract, we'll be in a better place than when he took over. 

32 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Rowett is Mel's man. He wanted him at the club previously but he wasn't available. So this means we're stuck with him (hopefully!) but then again Clement was also Mel's man.

Personally I was disappointed when we sacked McClaren as under him our form was virtually play off form, we were hamstrung by our start under Lord Ostrich! 

Rowett is more pragmatic and certainly different to the route we were following under McClaren. I think this to some degree is a good thing, under McC we had to play perfect football to win games, didn't have enough steel to grind out results. Rowett has addressed this with his signings.

I think Rowett gets a bad press from some for the way his team played at Brum and this in my view is wrong. He manages according to what he has available to him. He wont turn Derby into another Birmingham, more mould a team that has previously played attractive football to be better at the ugly side of the game. This can only be a good thing.

Its a gradual process, Wolves wasn't good and Rowett should look at himself for that. Preston was more like it, positive signs but with more work to do (as it normally is early season). 

With the signings of Lawrence and Huddlestone, no one can say he hasn't addressed the creativity element of the team now. We also have creativity in Vydra and Martin. Just need some more legs in midfield now if possible. Easier said than done especially as there are players that need to be shipped out and this is never easy.

Im convinced if we stick with him to the end of his contract, we'll be in a better place than when he took over. 

I think Rowett inherited a club which had a few sparkly elements which hid an underachieving culture. We had become 'flat track bullies' capable of beating lesser sides but exposed when sleeves needed rolling up.

He has put his reputation on the line by getting rid of our most talented attacking stars in Hughes and Ince.

However, he is also moulding a more secure group of players with experience at a higher level. I am sure he knows that the midfield balance isn't right. But every manager knows the importance of good midfield players and anyone who becomes available does so for a reason.

Huddlestone creates a big of a problem because his undoubted strength and passing skills are paired with a lack of mobility. If we want three attacking players (whatever formation that works in) then we need two midfield players who can get forward and back all game. I think that's why we were linked with the likes of Mooy.

If we could get such players to the left and right of Huddlestone, we would really be in business. And if Thorne returns, don't rule out a return to CH for big Tom.

I think Rowett will have done a marvellous job if he gets us to the playoffs this season.

Archived