Away fan friendly pubs in Derby

one_chop

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

I don't get this home fans away fans pubs. Are we all wearing animal skins and walking around with clubs? Ffs it's a free country you should be able to drink in any pub you want. If some bell has a problem with it swat him out 

I agree totally, but let's say it's your favourite pub and normally you can call in prematch no problem, you spend a lot of money there, not just on match days also. But then say 4 times a season the big teams come to town and flood all pubs pre match.  The pubs rammed, you can't get in, or if you can it 5 deep at the bar and you have to drink your pint with it held close to your chest?

Thats the only problem I have with away fans in local pubs.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Oh, yes, you're right about that. Last season they stopped all obvious away fans from entering, they can't tell away fans if they aren't wearing colours and don't ask for match tickets like the waterfall does.

Apprently some web site had listed them as an away pub. The landlord was most agitated about this, but in my opinion I don't think he minded because custom is custom.

But, people like me were moaning that we couldn't get a drink for the queues or a space upstairs even if we arrived at 1pm as it was full of away fans so were going elsewhere.  When the lesser supported teams came it was better, but I felt that was wrong as we home fans are the mainstay of his trade surely. But as I say, business is business.

So, last season they stopped away colours entering. To be honest, it wasn't any better as it was still busy, it's a busy pub, it's a great pub. But when you're 5 people away from the bar in that small bar area corridor it's not fun.

Sorry for the long reply and lack of puns ?

It is a good pub and it has always been busy that is why I found an equally good pub but not as busy. Problem is the pub I go to now is busy too. I have to get there earlier and earlier. You make a good point about the home fans are the regulars but like you say custom is custom.

May be my point about finding an equally good pub is what the landlord doesn't want.

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I agree totally, but let's say it's your favourite pub and normally you can call in prematch no problem, you spend a lot of money there, not just on match days also. But then say 4 times a season the big teams come to town and flood all pubs pre match.  The pubs rammed, you can't get in, or if you can it 5 deep at the bar and you have to drink your pint with it held close to your chest?

Thats the only problem I have with away fans in local pubs.

I totally see your point mine was more based upon my experiences of travelling to away grounds and having to find an away fans pub which is usually full of beer flingers. I would rather go in the home fans pubs and talk to them about the match.

Archived