Memories of Derby

uttoxram75

Its me Dad's birthday Sunday 30th, he's 81. Me brother was browsing youtube to download some old footage of the Derby Loco works where me Dad worked for 32 years to show him when we all pop round Sunday afternoon. 

The old chap is actually on this film at 5.52 so he'll be well chuffed when we show him. I don't think he has any idea this film exists,

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Happy Birthday to your dad , he had the best days when when manufactured everything ,be interesting what his thoughts are on the demise of expertise like we once had.

In some ways. me dad's generation probably had the best of it. Born in 1936, went through a childhood with his own dad away for the duration of World War 2 (including 8th Army Desert Rat).

Rationing, learning to cope, looking after his mum and sister while still a kid himself. got an apprenticeship as an electrician at 15, the year my grandad passed away aged 40 - the war took its toll. 

Started work at British Rail, Derby, Called up for National Service, served two years, got married, worked tirelessly to feed and keep a roof over the heads of 4 sons......he was part of the generation that rebuilt Britain after the war, they knew hardship, weren't materialistic, valued hard work yet had a community spirit, a sense of belonging to a wider body of people who were somehow stronger than the individual. 

He mended neighbours washing machines and hoovers and was often paid in bags of vegetables from gardens and allotments, that's how it worked on council estates in the 60's and 70's

He could do things, make things, fix things, he spent hours making us wooden toys in his shed, proper wooden tanks, painted and polished that were the envy of mates....

Life was harder but i guess it was also simpler and more rewarding to his generation.

I'll never forgive him for taking us to Rhyl on holiday though:D

48 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

In some ways. me dad's generation probably had the best of it. Born in 1936, went through a childhood with his own dad away for the duration of World War 2 (including 8th Army Desert Rat).

Rationing, learning to cope, looking after his mum and sister while still a kid himself. got an apprenticeship as an electrician at 15, the year my grandad passed away aged 40 - the war took its toll. 

Started work at British Rail, Derby, Called up for National Service, served two years, got married, worked tirelessly to feed and keep a roof over the heads of 4 sons......he was part of the generation that rebuilt Britain after the war, they knew hardship, weren't materialistic, valued hard work yet had a community spirit, a sense of belonging to a wider body of people who were somehow stronger than the individual. 

He mended neighbours washing machines and hoovers and was often paid in bags of vegetables from gardens and allotments, that's how it worked on council estates in the 60's and 70's

He could do things, make things, fix things, he spent hours making us wooden toys in his shed, proper wooden tanks, painted and polished that were the envy of mates....

Life was harder but i guess it was also simpler and more rewarding to his generation.

Just about sums my thoughts up ,my old man sadly no longer with us worked at Barton's and them the R.E.ME. workshops at Chilwell Garrison.similar working conditions to your dad.

I used to get picked up in armoured cars in the school holidays with my mates and test them at what is now EMA,it was a disused bomber base then . 

Great sense of togetherness then ,firms social activities for kids at Christmas etc was brilliant ,lot's of what I call proper men's jobs around not like today.

19 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its me Dad's birthday Sunday 30th, he's 81. Me brother was browsing youtube to download some old footage of the Derby Loco works where me Dad worked for 32 years to show him when we all pop round Sunday afternoon. 

The old chap is actually on this film at 5.52 so he'll be well chuffed when we show him. I don't think he has any idea this film exists,

My old man worked there too, worked out of One Shop, wonder if their paths crossed.  Will have to show my old man the clip when next over.

On 30/07/2017 at 13:38, uttoxram75 said:

This is interesting. Was speaking to my father about this  (he was born in 1939 the day after war broke out).

He doesn't recollect any real hardship as such - in terms of deprivation. But echoes the simpler point very strongly.

His main toy growing up was plasticene and a bicycle. Treats were rare so birthdays and Christmas were a really big deal as you wouldn't get anything at other times. 

His earliest positive experience was the festival of britain in 1951. His other abiding memory was his father returning from the army in India in late 1946 and polishing off the month's food rations inside a week. This led directly to home gardening and veg growing so he was never wholly reliant on shops thereafter. 

Statistically I believe that it's the case we were healthiest as a nation just after the war. 

Anyway - hope you both had a great day :thumbsup:

Archived