U23s not entering Checkatrade Trophy

Carl Sagan

I heard we've opted out of entering the U23s into the Checkatrade Trophy (League One and League Two Cup) this year, though am struggling to find media confirmation. There's only a story that Man City, Chelsea and Spurs have all chosen to put their U23 teams in this time around: http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2017-2018/manchester-city-and-tottenham-to-enter-checkatrade-trophy_sto6235314/story.shtml

Have to say it seems a shame, as I've always felt our youngters need more chances not fewer to test themselves against proper teams.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David said:

My read of that is those teams have been invited but have yet to confirm participation? 

Presumably we're among the best of the rest of the category 1 academies so would only be invited if some of these 16 decline? 

I read a report on one of those cowboy websites like HITC that said we had chosen not to enter a team.

Then when you read it it states the teams who are taking up their invitations who declined it last year. These by themselves would mean our inviation being revoked surely??? Werent we the very last team to qualify for invitation status last season??

10 hours ago, David said:

10 hours ago, HantsRam said:

My read of that is those teams have been invited but have yet to confirm participation? 

Presumably we're among the best of the rest of the category 1 academies so would only be invited if some of these 16 decline? 

Thanks to David. If this list were only invited rather than confirmed teams, it would have included the PL teams who've apparently turned it down. So it seems we failed to qualify based on league position. ☹️

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Thanks to David. If this list were only invited rather than confirmed teams, it would have included the PL teams who've apparently turned it down. So it seems we failed to qualify based on league position. ☹️

:(

Maybe they ought to consider having the top so many places in the PL2 league as guaranteed places? Would give them something else to play for, as I also think going in with the league teams in a cup comp is a good idea.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yes that's right according to the article I read last week.  Fulham got the last place.  We finished too low in the league :(

Meet the scholars! From left to right:

Callum Minkley (16, Midfielder),  Morgan Whittaker (16, Forward) Sam French (16, Goalkeeper), Jordan Brown (16, Midfielder),

Connor Dixon (16, Midfielder), Max Bird (16, Midfielder), Jason Knight (16, Midfielder), Lee Buchanan (16, Defender/ Midfielder).

ef0744e64997.jpg

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Has Max Bird played for the U23s?

9 appearences (8 from the start) in Premier League 2 last season.

According to Chelsea coach Bird was the best player on the pitch as we beat them 2-1.

You can watch that game in full on youtube: 

2 minutes ago, Putin is A Ram said:

9 appearences (8 from the start) in Premier League 2 last season.

According to Chelsea coach Bird was the best player on the pitch as we beat them 2-1

Doh! Memory fade. I watched the match, and when I read the Chelsea coach's quote thought, he had a good game but I don't agree with you - can't remember now I might have given the 'best player' to Cover.

Archived