The day we gave away Tim Sherwood

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember this one very well. I was working as a barman at the "La Gondola" restaurant on ossie road. We used to have a lot of good links with the club and i remember one time (not sure if it was a midweek game or Saturday) Roy Mac came in for a meal with Tim Sherwood. I was shocked at the time and never realised we had been linked with him. A few days later he signed for Blackburn. No one ever believed me, nice to know my story has been backed up. I also worked at Breadsall Priory and was at reception when Kinkladze checked in, again not been linked with him and i remember a few of us getting very excited on the day. Have lots of good stories of when the teams came to stay before games. Great place to work for a fan back in the day. That was until our conceirge p!sses Alex Ferguson right off and not long after that the away teams all went to stay at Mickleover Court instead. Great memories

On 2017-5-12 at 14:59, Bridgford Ram said:

Apologies if this is a known story but I had never heard of it and have just heard it (on the radio) from two of the people involved.

In 1992 there was a deal in place for Tim Sherwood to sign for Derby from Norwich.  The contract was agreed with the agent and there was only a medical to complete the formalities.  This was going to take place the following day.  While the agent - Eric Hall - was on the train back to London he got a call from Kenny Dalglish (manager at Blackburn) wanting Sherwood to join his club for a lot lot more money.  The story then goes that Eric Hall was keen to do the deal as he would make more money but Sherwood felt he had given his word to Arthur Cox and would not go back on that.  It was settled, Sherwood would still join Derby.

Then Sherwood gets a call from Arthur Cox, basically telling Sherwood to forget the Derby deal, if Kenny Dalglish wants you then you go and that if he was Cox's son, he would advise going to Blackburn.  So he did.

They then beat us in the play offs.

They win the Premier League under Sherwood's captaincy under a local self made millionaire.

Funny how things work out isn't it?

Sounds like nonsense to me. We also had a bidding war with Blackburn for Craig Short. Why didn't Cox tell Short to go to Blackburn? 

Got to be a made up story. 

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

By coincidence, Mel used to be CEO of Mickleover Court, according to the Telegraph 

He owned it i think.

22 hours ago, ElBeef said:

I remember this one very well. I was working as a barman at the "La Gondola" restaurant on ossie road. We used to have a lot of good links with the club and i remember one time (not sure if it was a midweek game or Saturday) Roy Mac came in for a meal with Tim Sherwood. I was shocked at the time and never realised we had been linked with him. A few days later he signed for Blackburn. No one ever believed me, nice to know my story has been backed up. I also worked at Breadsall Priory and was at reception when Kinkladze checked in, again not been linked with him and i remember a few of us getting very excited on the day. Have lots of good stories of when the teams came to stay before games. Great place to work for a fan back in the day. That was until our conceirge p!sses Alex Ferguson right off and not long after that the away teams all went to stay at Mickleover Court instead. Great memories

How did the concierge piss fergie off?

He was a right pest when away teams stayed. He would just be asking if everything was alright all the time, sometimes pestering them for autographs etc. He was a real pain in the ar!e anyway and would get under all our skins. He just became a real creep to some guests. He really latched on to fergie that day for some reason and was his shadow all morning before the match. Fergie eventually had enough and told him direct to his face to "p!ss off" which was a beautifull moment. After this Man u never stayed again.

When England played Mexico at Pride Park the whole England team stayed for about 4 days before. It was very surreal for a lot of us with all of them walking around. Beckham was brilliant with staff and guests, constantly talking for long periods to different people. My opinion changed of him that day, i even had a few chats to him myself. David James was also brilliant, Gerrard was a right misery...no surprise there!!

The other concierge was a great bloke, bit of a Jack the lad in the day. All the players used to leave their dirty kit outside the bedroom doors to be washed. One day he went round and helped himself to some kit!!! Brilliant.

They also had a room set aside with a huge amount of shirts laid out on tables with balls etc ready to be signed. The players would come in now and again and sign all the stuff. The aforementioned concierge went in when no-one was there and had away a signed shirt too....legend.

2 minutes ago, ElBeef said:

When England played Mexico at Pride Park the whole England team stayed for about 4 days before. It was very surreal for a lot of us with all of them walking around. Beckham was brilliant with staff and guests, constantly talking for long periods to different people. My opinion changed of him that day, i even had a few chats to him myself. David James was also brilliant, Gerrard was a right misery...no surprise there!!

The other concierge was a great bloke, bit of a Jack the lad in the day. All the players used to leave their dirty kit outside the bedroom doors to be washed. One day he went round and helped himself to some kit!!! Brilliant.

They also had a room set aside with a huge amount of shirts laid out on tables with balls etc ready to be signed. The players would come in now and again and sign all the stuff. The aforementioned concierge went in when no-one was there and had away a signed shirt too....legend.

No wonder Gerrard was so miserable. He had to train naked one day since the concierge had it away with all his kit. :D

Archived