The day we gave away Tim Sherwood

Apologies if this is a known story but I had never heard of it and have just heard it (on the radio) from two of the people involved.

In 1992 there was a deal in place for Tim Sherwood to sign for Derby from Norwich.  The contract was agreed with the agent and there was only a medical to complete the formalities.  This was going to take place the following day.  While the agent - Eric Hall - was on the train back to London he got a call from Kenny Dalglish (manager at Blackburn) wanting Sherwood to join his club for a lot lot more money.  The story then goes that Eric Hall was keen to do the deal as he would make more money but Sherwood felt he had given his word to Arthur Cox and would not go back on that.  It was settled, Sherwood would still join Derby.

Then Sherwood gets a call from Arthur Cox, basically telling Sherwood to forget the Derby deal, if Kenny Dalglish wants you then you go and that if he was Cox's son, he would advise going to Blackburn.  So he did.

They then beat us in the play offs.

They win the Premier League under Sherwood's captaincy under a local self made millionaire.

Funny how things work out isn't it?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Apologies if this is a known story but I had never heard of it and have just heard it (on the radio) from two of the people involved.

In 1992 there was a deal in place for Tim Sherwood to sign for Derby from Norwich.  The contract was agreed with the agent and there was only a medical to complete the formalities.  This was going to take place the following day.  While the agent - Eric Hall - was on the train back to London he got a call from Kenny Dalglish (manager at Blackburn) wanting Sherwood to join his club for a lot lot more money.  The story then goes that Eric Hall was keen to do the deal as he would make more money but Sherwood felt he had given his word to Arthur Cox and would not go back on that.  It was settled, Sherwood would still join Derby.

Then Sherwood gets a call from Arthur Cox, basically telling Sherwood to forget the Derby deal, if Kenny Dalglish wants you then you go and that if he was Cox's son, he would advise going to Blackburn.  So he did.

They win the Premier League under Sherwood's captaincy under a local self made millionaire.

What a great piece of management by Arthur though. One may argue from a Derby County perspective that it was totally wrong, but having met Arthur a few times, I know what a total gentleman he is and I myself think it was the correct thing to do. 

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

What a great piece of management by Arthur though. One may argue from a Derby County perspective that it was totally wrong, but having met Arthur a few times, I know what a total gentleman he is and I myself think it was the correct thing to do. 

Mel would have been furious with such a breach of fiduciary duty.

That doesn't really sound true because craig short also had the same choice and chose us.

why didn't arthur also drive Craig up to Ewood and hand him over?

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

That doesn't really sound true because craig short also had the same choice and chose us.

why didn't arthur also drive Craig up to Ewood and hand him over?

Because Eric Hall wasn't Craig Short's agent.

5 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

God i remember that whole thing unfold in the papers.

remember reading something about how he was on his way to us then next minute he was at blackburn

would have been a terrific signing for us and if i remember the fee wasnt mind blowing at the time, have 1m quid in my head for some reason 

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Because Eric Hall wasn't Craig Short's agent.

But the whole point of the story was Arthur Cox telling a player to go to Blackburn rather than us.

actually though.....lol.....now i now i think about it......craig short and his mrs were about to get into his car to drive to blackburn to sign when he had last minute doubts. She told him that he'd better make his mind up, and he chose to come to Derby instead.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

But the whole point of the story was Arthur Cox telling a player to go to Blackburn rather than us.

actually though.....lol.....now i now i think about it......craig short and his mrs were about to get into his car to drive to blackburn to sign when he had last minute doubts. She told him that he'd better make his mind up, and he chose to come to Derby instead.

Silly bloke. He could have had a Premier League medal! 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Im still waiting for us to confirm the signing of Roberto Baggio.

Concentrating all of our efforts on a German cb first I am told.

And don't always believe it when we announce a signing...Knoflicek and Kubik spring to mind.

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Concentrating all of our efforts on a German cb first I am told.

And don't always believe it when we announce a signing...Knoflicek and Kubik spring to mind.

Ian storey-moore :whistle:

Archived