Realistic Starting 11 17/18

DCFC1388

Just wondering what peoples realistic starting 11 would be for the first game next season? Mine would be...

GK - Carson

RB - Wisdom

CB - Roberts/Flint

CB - Shackell

LB - Forsyth

CDM - Thorne

CDM - Leadbitter (C)

RW - Ince

CAM - Hughes

LW - Sako

FWD - Martin

Squad - Mitchell Baird Rawson Olsson Anya Johnson Vydra Nugent plus a few more additions

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Just wondering what peoples realistic starting 11 would be for the first game next season? Mine would be...

GK - Carson

RB - Wisdom

CB - Roberts/Flint

CB - Shackell

LB - Forsyth

CDM - Thorne

CDM - Leadbitter (C)

RW - Ince

CAM - Hughes

LW - Sako

FWD - Martin

Squad - Mitchell Baird Rawson Olsson Anya Johnson Vydra Nugent plus a few more additions

Possible chance if GR wants promotion!

The OP has started two threads which are basically doing the same thing - just listing who he would like to see in the squad next year. 

We're about three posts away from a poorly formatted squad shape with "An Other" playing in a wonky midfield diamond. Can we merge this spam please, mods?

26 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Feel free to make your own realistic suggestions?

Aye, sorry for reacting badly to you suggesting we go out again and sign ageing players dropping from the PL on big wages and an average Championship player who is probably worse than all three CB's we currently have?

After everything that's happened in the past two and a half years, in what world are those signings progressive? That would be repeating the mistakes we've made with signungs and going against what Rowett's said he wants; young, hungry players.

I really don't understand how you can think those signings are a good idea, Leadbitter literally offers us nothing different to what Johnson and Thorne do, Sako is another overpaid winger when we already have SIX of them and the only reason anyone wants to sign Flint is because he's ******* tall. 

This type of 'who I want in a year summer' thread/post is made once every couple of days, it's borderline spam.

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Aye, sorry for reacting badly to you suggesting we go out again and sign ageing players dropping from the PL on big wages and an average Championship player who is probably worse than all three CB's we currently have?

After everything that's happened in the past two and a half years, in what world are those signings progressive? That would be repeating the mistakes we've made with signungs and going against what Rowett's said he wants; young, hungry players.

I really don't understand how you can think those signings are a good idea, Leadbitter literally offers us nothing different to what Johnson and Thorne do, Sako is another overpaid winger when we already have SIX of them and the only reason anyone wants to sign Flint is because he's ******* tall. 

This type of 'who I want in a year summer' thread/post is made once every couple of days, it's borderline spam.

I agree. 

Any suggestions who though?

8 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I agree. 

Any suggestions who though?

Does Mo Camara have an @ on here? Could do with some tips.

If I was actually going to make a suggestion or two, I like the look of Ryan Kent from Liverpool who's been on loan at Barnsley. He's a genuine winger, lots of pace and dribbling talent.

If you had him on the left wing cutting into link with Martin and creating space for Fozzy/Lowe to overlap and overload the wings, I think that would give us an attacking edge down the left where we haven't had one this season. Overload the left side, give Ince a load of space down the right. Not going to be much of a pain on the wage bill either, just grab him on loan.

If we're looking for a different type of DM, Ryan Woods from Brentford is someone we've been linked to. Tidy on the ball and energetic. Put him next to someone like Thorne or Johnson and we have the bases covered at DM: pace, power and passing.

Cherry picking a young, English talent from another promising championship side is how you buy within your own league, not picking a CB from a team that have struggled at the back, particularly when said CB is 27 and isn't going to improve drastically.

As far as CB's concerned, I like Kyle Bartley. Only has one year left on his contract with Swansea (who look like staying up, so won't be needing him) and the only certainty at Leeds this summer is that they'll still be in the Championship. He should be up for grabs. He's only just played a full season as a starter in a team this year too, at 26 I think he's got more room to improve than Flint, who's older and has played well over 100 games for Bristol. 

Examining our current CB situation, our weakness is that when Pearce sees any of the ball our tempo falls down a flight of stairs, but if you took him out and replaced him with someone like Keogh, we wouldn't be as solid. Bartley solves the problem by offering the physicality of Shackell/Pearce at 6'4, while being better with the ball at his feet than both of them them. Also less likely to be put on his arse by a quick striker than Pearce is.

He's also scored 6 goals for Leeds this year, gives a similar danger from set-pieces as the much heralded Flint (did you know he's 6'5 and a threat from set-pieces, has anyone mentioned that at all?)

28 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Does Mo Camara have an @ on here? Could do with some tips.

If I was actually going to make a suggestion or two, I like the look of Ryan Kent from Liverpool who's been on loan at Barnsley. He's a genuine winger, lots of pace and dribbling talent.

If you had him on the left wing cutting into link with Martin and creating space for Fozzy/Lowe to overlap and overload the wings, I think that would give us an attacking edge down the left where we haven't had one this season. Overload the left side, give Ince a load of space down the right. Not going to be much of a pain on the wage bill either, just grab him on loan.

If we're looking for a different type of DM, Ryan Woods from Brentford is someone we've been linked to. Tidy on the ball and energetic. Put him next to someone like Thorne or Johnson and we have the bases covered at DM: pace, power and passing.

Cherry picking a young, English talent from another promising championship side is how you buy within your own league, not picking a CB from a team that have struggled at the back, particularly when said CB is 27 and isn't going to improve drastically.

As far as CB's concerned, I like Kyle Bartley. Only has one year left on his contract with Swansea (who look like staying up, so won't be needing him) and the only certainty at Leeds this summer is that they'll still be in the Championship. He should be up for grabs. He's only just played a full season as a starter in a team this year too, at 26 I think he's got more room to improve than Flint, who's older and has played well over 100 games for Bristol. 

Examining our current CB situation, our weakness is that when Pearce sees any of the ball our tempo falls down a flight of stairs, but if you took him out and replaced him with someone like Keogh, we wouldn't be as solid. Bartley solves the problem by offering the physicality of Shackell/Pearce at 6'4, while being better with the ball at his feet than both of them them. Also less likely to be put on his arse by a quick striker than Pearce is.

He's also scored 6 goals for Leeds this year, gives a similar danger from set-pieces as the much heralded Flint (did you know he's 6'5 and a threat from set-pieces, has anyone mentioned that at all?)

So not flint then? ;)

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Carson

New Rb  Keogh    New Cb   Forsyth

Thorne   Johnson

Ince        Vydra/Nugent     New LW

Martin

Get Wisdom, Marc Roberts and Ibe(loan) in that team then that team could compete for the top 2, provided that we have appropriate replacements on the bench if players get injured.

Archived