Trainspotters

Day

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Boycie said:

Pleasure! They get pleasure!

what do you get from gaming all day, except square eyes and grief from the missus?

The highs and lows of playing competitive gaming! You forgot the Daughter screaming down the other ear too.. Both demanding as each other!

7 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

The highs and lows of playing competitive gaming! You forgot the Daughter screaming down the other ear too.. Both demanding as each other!

I'll meet you down the station for some peace and quiet! ?

I like trains, grew up next to Denby branch line so have a love of diesel traction. I don't take numbers or stand at stations. I like the power & classic British design. Double headed class 20s with twin Napier turbochargers screaming was my morning alarm before school for a long time back in the day. Plus a good mix of class 56 and 58, classic designs. I mostly indulge it at places like Midland Railway Centre or other heritage railways these days. Work designing mining & tunneling locomotives now more through coincidence.

I don't really go along with the spotting thing, bus spotters are a special breed to me. There are varying levels of enthusiast when it comes to rail, don't throw us all in together.

That said prefer cars, I can afford one of those. Currently in the middle of an engine build for my MK1 Golf. 

Could be worse, could be an Apple fanboy :ph34r:

On 2 April 2017 at 18:16, David said:

Never understood it myself, I mean it's a train, it goes choo choo and takes you from a to b, often late and more expensive than a fortnight in Cleethorpes. 

You stand there, dressed up like the kid at school who has his dinner money taken off him, note book in hand taking down each number, what then?

Would love it if I could reach out to one and ask just what is it that drives this odd passion

IMG_1884.JPG

Ah but back in the days of steam, say late 50s, virtually everyone trainspotted with their Ian Allen books. At Five Arches just outside the Midland station there would be hundreds all in the age range 12 to 18. Same for London Road bridge where you'd stand on your bike's crossbar to see over the wall. It all stopped when diesel locos became more common. 

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Right! Stop it! Stop all this dirty talk, and grow up.

Diesel or steam?  My favourite is an old boiler that needs stoking

7 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

I like trains, grew up next to Denby branch line so have a love of diesel traction. I don't take numbers or stand at stations. I like the power & classic British design. Double headed class 20s with twin Napier turbochargers screaming was my morning alarm before school for a long time back in the day. Plus a good mix of class 56 and 58, classic designs. I mostly indulge it at places like Midland Railway Centre or other heritage railways these days. Work designing mining & tunneling locomotives now more through coincidence.

I don't really go along with the spotting thing, bus spotters are a special breed to me. There are varying levels of enthusiast when it comes to rail, don't throw us all in together.

That said prefer cars, I can afford one of those. Currently in the middle of an engine build for my MK1 Golf. 

Could be worse, could be an Apple fanboy :ph34r:

This could have been written by me, I too was a Denby branch admirer, often had to wait for the coal train to pass the footpath while the level crossing gates were shut.

class 20's are my favourite for this reason too. 

Same with the heritage stuff, Daveo likes to think about me standing on a platform taking numbers, or sometimes just in a sexual way.

Archived