Car Accident - Advice?

Bridgford Ram

On 19/11/2016 at 10:26, McRamFan said:

An injury can manifest days after an accident, especially as the shock masks this.  I know there is a lot of fake claims, however take the time to make sure you are OK.

This. My missus was hit from behind last year, initially thought she was ok and just a bit shook up. About a week later her back is incredibly stiff and it's painful to move. She ends up needing physiotherapy for about 3 months, she still feels it every now and again. She never went looking for the whiplash claim but the settlement was upped by a few grand. I worry people who end up in genuine pain are going to be screwed over because of too many people pulling a fast one.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

An update on this, we now have our car back and it looks almost as good as new (there is a sizable scratch that they missed on the door handle that is being fixed today).  Also the third party did the decent thing and has accepted full liability meaning that I can claim my excess back - and I assume will mean that my no claims discount remains unaffected?

A stressful time that I could have very much done without, but I can now see that things could have been so much worse.

Thanks for all those who helped on this thread.

6 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

An update on this, we now have our car back and it looks almost as good as new (there is a sizable scratch that they missed on the door handle that is being fixed today).  Also the third party did the decent thing and has accepted full liability meaning that I can claim my excess back - and I assume will mean that my no claims discount remains unaffected?

A stressful time that I could have very much done without, but I can now see that things could have been so much worse.

That's good news. Yes your no claims bonus will be unaffected.

47 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Your NCB will be unaffected, but your insurance will be probably higher for a few years.

We had the same thing a few years ago, the third party admitted liability, their insurers sorted everything out and our insurance went up. When we questioned our insurers about this they told us that although our NCB was unaffected the accident altered the "loading" on our premium.

It is also a question asked when getting quotes "have you had an accident in the previous x years (even if it wasn't your fault)"

6 hours ago, Ewetube said:

Your NCB will be unaffected, but your insurance will be probably higher for a few years.

We had the same thing a few years ago, the third party admitted liability, their insurers sorted everything out and our insurance went up. When we questioned our insurers about this they told us that although our NCB was unaffected the accident altered the "loading" on our premium.

It is also a question asked when getting quotes "have you had an accident in the previous x years (even if it wasn't your fault)"

it certainly will be sweep pea, you are right.

its the risk factor score, not also forgetting that IPT(Insurance Premium Tax) has increased by 300% in 3 years, these insurers are right crooks :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Your no claims should remain unaffected. Get written confirmation.

When you renew shop around and look at protected no claims and zero excess, sometimes it's a few quid to get them. As you where a victim, the insurance world treat you as a risk so your premium will go up, as data has shown you are now a greater risk....gotta love em...

25 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

it certainly will be sweep pea, you are right.

its the risk factor score, not also forgetting that IPT(Insurance Premium Tax) has increased by 300% in 3 years, these insurers are right crooks :ph34r:

Tax is nothing to do with insurers.

3 hours ago, LesterRam said:

Well yes your right they dont pocket it, its collected on behalf of HMRC, isn't it currently 10% of premium so it hits your pocket, tax on the youth again.

It is, or 20% on travel insurance.

Car Insurance is a cut throat business, if you go through a comparison based site like confused.com or moneysupermarket.com you are paying between £40-£60 (commission) for the privilege and even more for high risk factors (young or driving points) which compounds the misery, you are not aware that these comparison sites are not comparing the whole market but affiliated members who pay the above fee, your insurer after paying this commission are probably using a loss leader based system in which it earns barely nothing in the first year but earns on renewal.

I am aware that some smaller comparison based insurance platforms are only comparing there own products, which is not only illegal but morally corrupt and falls into the FCA rules of "Treating Customers Fairly" policy.

Archived