Chesterfield in turmoil.

RiddingsRam

54 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I spent many happy years in the rain and snow wilderness of Buxton too.....bloody hell it's cold up their!

It certainly is. To put it in context, Shap summit is 288 metres above sea level, The Cat & Fiddle Inn (Now closed) is 518 metres. Buxton Town centre is 300 metres (984 feet)

The ground itself 317 metres, 1040 feet, above sea level and is the highest football ground in England. As you say,bloody cold.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

It certainly is. To put it in context, Shap summit is 288 metres above sea level, The Cat & Fiddle Inn (Now closed) is 518 metres. Buxton Town centre is 300 metres (984 feet)

The ground itself 317 metres, 1040 feet, above sea level and is the highest football ground in England. As you say,bloody cold.

If it's colder than both Oldham and Grimsby in winter then it must be bad!

A little anecdote from Neil Warnock.

Snowy away games can drift into trouble; I had a close shave when I played for Crewe

I learnt the hard way not to take risks driving in the snow, so though it was disappointing that today's match at Hull City has been called off I've no complaints. It may mean we have a fixture problem later in the season but I'd rather that than have my players and staff, and the fans of both clubs, taking unnecessary risks.

My last League club as a player was Crewe Alexandra. I was living in Sheffield at the time and I really enjoyed making the beautiful, scenic journey to Crewe over the Peak District. But that was in the summer. Come winter it was a different matter. There were even lights set up at the bottom of the hill to warn people if the road ahead was closed, but the farmers I'd chat to when I stopped for a sandwich in the High Peak said in reality it was always passable. Maybe it was in a tractor, but I was in an Austin A30 the night I set off home, having travelled across for a game that was then postponed because of snow.

The lights were flashing, but I ignored them. The farmers had local knowledge after all. There was only an inch of snow. Ten minutes nearer Buxton it was six inches. Then we hit the drifts. I blasted through the first few, but soon they were three-to-four foot high. By then we – I had a team-mate on board – were getting worried. We weren't exactly prepared. Never mind blankets and spades, we didn't even have a flask of coffee between us. Then we hit a 10-foot bank of snow. There was no busting through that.

We didn't know where we were by then – it turned out we were less than a couple of miles from Buxton – and as we were also short of petrol we couldn't even sit it out with the heater on. I turned round, very cautiously as I was terrified of slipping off the road, and we drove back. The drifts were deeper than on the way up but we forced our way through to the flashing lights.

4 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Buxton opera house is a regular haunt of mine for comedians and shows. Doesn't seem that high up mind coming from Ashford in the Water way. The road to Macclesfield though from Buxton is a bit tricky in the dark .

I do really wish motorcyclists would have stopped riding like idiots on the can and fiddle well before they had to put the speed cameras all over it (as someone who used to have a bike and would again but for money) - ride like an ass and it ruins it for everyone (not to mention the deaths).

Archived