Chesterfield in turmoil.

RiddingsRam

In a very bad way on and off the pitch . Speaking to a few people I know connected to the club , could go as far as folding . And today the chairman Dave Allen has resigned.  

http://mobile.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/dave-allen-announces-resignation-3416973.aspx

Dave Allen started the meeting by announcing his resignation as chairman and director of Chesterfield FC.

Addressing the shareholders who attended the meeting, Allen said: "At this point, I must inform you that as of now, I resign as chairman and director of Chesterfield Football Club. At the outset, I never intended to become the chairman. I was just an investor who wanted to see the club progress and get into the Championship. It was then my plan to sell on the investment. 

"I took over as chairman because the previous incumbent sat at the end of the boardroom table and said after one meeting that unless I put a further £600,000 into the club, they could not carry on. This was after I'd already previously put in over £2m, over and above the initial deal, which was £4m for 80% of the shares and arranged a £2m mortgage over a ten-year period. I did all that.

"The reason I'm resigning is because at the board meeting held this afternoon, I suggested that all the directors should not seek repayment of loans and waive any interest until such time as the club is in a position to pay it. The interest alone amounts to just over £150,000 per annum, so it would be a considerable saving. By the way, over the last couple of years, I've put in an extra £1.9m, for which I personally have not taken any interest at all. 

"It is a sad day for me, but I can't carry on like this. I wish you all the best. There will be no further statements on this subject from me, either verbally or written."

Related

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the directors want their interest on their loans no matter what then.  Why should he keep shelling out if they don't help out?

shame, because it only takes a bit of luck and you can do a Burton, then sell the club and get your investment plus set aside interest too.

who'd be a football chairman eh?

I remember being in crowds of other league 2 clubs on the receiving end of some gloating chants from visiting spireites during their 'way up'. Spending money they didn't have on the best players whilst clubs like Accrington struggled along within their means.

I have some sympathy for the fans as they haven't got the club in this position and having myself lived in Chesterfield for nearly 15 years and knowing a few spireites who are angry and disillusioned with the club I appreciate it's hard to accept and understand.

Those in glass houses though and all that.

Where has the money gone?! They've had two promotions I believe since building the Prozac, a million quid of which was loaned to them by the council and which they were stalling on paying off. Not sure if they've paid it now though . They've won the JPT final , they've had Elton John , Tom Jones et al performing at the stadium and ticket prices are a joke.

They've sold some players for decent money for the level so.............

Where has the money gone?

So glad I saw this coming a few years ago when looking for a local team and chose Derby. I've seen it before with other clubs and the signs were there. Off the field Chesterfield have been run in truly bizarre, comical and unprofessional fashion and that translates to on the pitch too.

Let's see Ched Evans save them now.

Sad for the fans really but run by a bunch of idiots.

12 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I remember being in crowds of other league 2 clubs on the receiving end of some gloating chants from visiting spireites during their 'way up'. Spending money they didn't have on the best players whilst clubs like Accrington struggled along within their means.

I have some sympathy for the fans as they haven't got the club in this position and having myself lived in Chesterfield for nearly 15 years and knowing a few spireites who are angry and disillusioned with the club I appreciate it's hard to accept and understand.

Those in glass houses though and all that.

Where has the money gone?! They've had two promotions I believe since building the Prozac, a million quid of which was loaned to them by the council and which they were stalling on paying off. Not sure if they've paid it now though . They've won the JPT final , they've had Elton John , Tom Jones et al performing at the stadium and ticket prices are a joke.

They've sold some players for decent money for the level so.............

Where has the money gone?

So glad I saw this coming a few years ago when looking for a local team and chose Derby. I've seen it before with other clubs and the signs were there. Off the field Chesterfield have been run in truly bizarre, comical and unprofessional fashion and that translates to on the pitch too.

Let's see Ched Evans save them now.

Sad for the fans really but run by a bunch of idiots.

Idiots by and large. I appreciate there are some people behind the scenes who have contributed much.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Idiots by and large. I appreciate there are some people behind the scenes who have contributed much.

sounds like the chairman hasn't done an "Oyston" at least!

I remember reading Karren Brady's autobiography telling of the time she took over as ceo of brum and she was saying that there was basically 0 financial control, with players simply turning up with handfuls of notes for things they had spent money on and taking cash off the club office flunkeys.

If you don't have any basic financial controls in place you're stuffed in my view - there are loads of rapacious individuals only too happy to take a "fee" for dubious value services.

Archived