Beer Thread

Cisse

A first-time beer for me tonight, brewed by Hoegaarden - Der Verboden Vrucht (another present from my wonderful daughter).

Very nice - almost a chestnutty colour as if it couldn't quite make up its mind what it wanted to be, but the taste is lovely. Not your typical Belgian, fruity but lacking the intense spiciness that is so common amongst some of the more classic brews. Very bready, malty and heavy on the palate. Delicious, but not a beer I would want two of in the same day.  

I didn't get on with the gueze as much as I thought I would, tbh - maybe it was my pour but I didn't see any obvious sediment... but that taste overpowered everything else.

Maybe it's just my palate not being refined enough (yet) though. I still enjoyed it.

I must say though I'm getting on a lot better with my other soured beer, the Duchesse De Bourgogne. It's got that sourness but also seems pretty spicy and a bit more carbonated - I prefer the taste and mouthfeel of this one.

St Bernardus Abt 12 tonight. Boy, this is an utterly magnificent beer. It is the original Westvleteren 12 beer brewed at Watou before the Monks at St Sixtus moved production within the walls and changed the yeast to that used by Westmalle.

My opinion is that it is one of the three personal favourite beers I have ever tasted in my life (the other two being Thomas Hardy's Ale and Kasteelbier Donker) and I wouldn't like to choose an order of preference between them. I certainly prefer it to the current version of Westvleteren 12.

The best thing about this beer?

I've got another 11 bottles of it.  :lol:

Oh and when did you have it ?

The first one in 2004, then 2007, then 2010, then 2013.

I have 2 left - the next will be drunk to see in the 2016 New Year, and the last one will be the day I retire in 2018.