What are the coaches doing?

CastletonRam

We got in Phillips because of his experience as a forward. Soon as he joined Martin stopped scoring. We got in Idiakez who's renowned for his free kicks, yet since he came in our set pieces haven't improved at all. Perhaps it's a case of time will tell with Idiakez but I've seen no marked improvement in the quality of our forward play since Phillips joined. Would we be any worse off now without them? We have all these coaches and it seems nothing is sticking with the players. Have to wonder what they see in training.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

We got in Phillips because of his experience as a forward. Soon as he joined Martin stopped scoring. We got in Idiakez who's renowned for his free kicks, yet since he came in our set pieces haven't improved at all. Perhaps it's a case of time will tell with Idiakez but I've seen no marked improvement in the quality of our forward play since Phillips joined. Would we be any worse off now without them? We have all these coaches and it seems nothing is sticking with the players. Have to wonder what they see in training.  

You have to include Powell and Wassall in this. 

The academy isn't producing enough quality coming through to the first team. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

You have to include Powell and Wassall in this. 

The academy isn't producing enough .

You have a point. Since Wassall has gone back into the academy fold they haven't won a game so far. It's no coincidence that as soon as he left the academy to manage the first team that the academy got promoted. Now he's back they can't win. He's crippling the potential of our youth. 

1 minute ago, CastletonRam said:

You have a point. Since Wassall has gone back into the academy fold they haven't won a game so far. It's no coincidence that as soon as he left the academy to manage the first team that the academy got promoted. Now he's back they can't win. He's crippling the potential of our youth. 

I detect the sarcasm.

Whats happened to Hanson and Bennett and Rawson are they any good. 

Do the coaches rate their 1st team chances yet. 

What are they telling Pearson. 

5 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Hard to argue with this. Philips in particular as we have been totally anemic in attack: not only no finishing but no movement or creativity up there. 

4 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Change takes time - to get a team aligned with the right parts all playing effectively doesn't happen overnight. There was clear improvement yesterday but it will be a case of 2 steps forward and 1 step back over the next 6 months or so.

Newcastle are a good side with an excellent coach. We are not in the same league as them right now and won't be challenging this season. Once people lower their expectations and let Pearson get on with things it will help both him, the coaches and the players.

The Academy is a moot point though as Mel's spending is stifling the progress of our youth players you could argue. Players like Zanzala are being mentioned but it would take a brave manager to put an academy player on the bench instead of that multi million pound line up that was sat watching the Newcastle game.

in fairness to the coaches I think everybody connected with the playing side of the club aren't covering themselves in glory at the moment mainly due to the different managers/styles of play.

3 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Arguably. He seems to be more of an encouraging type of manager, but hard to say as there has been much change there and Zanzala out is major: he's a one man wrecking crew. Delap seems to do the business though, maybe swap them?

1 minute ago, Cool As Custard said:

Change takes time - to get a team aligned with the right parts all playing effectively doesn't happen overnight. There was clear improvement yesterday but it will be a case of 2 steps forward and 1 step back over the next 6 months or so.

Newcastle are a good side with an excellent coach. We are not in the same league as them right now and won't be challenging this season. Once people lower their expectations and let Pearson get on with things it will help both him, the coaches and the players.

Phillips has been here almost a year though. McClaren's ideas took 45 minutes to work... 

25 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

U18s won yesterday.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant though.

Just now, eddie said:

U18s won yesterday.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant though.

Huh? Delap does the 18s Ed.

Wassall hasn't won with the U23 but I guess it is a stretch to say he's crippling the whole academy, if that's what you meant.

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Huh? Delap does the 18s Ed.

Wassall hasn't won with the U23 but I guess it is a stretch to say he's crippling the whole academy, if that's what you meant.

The last I heard, the U18s were part of the Academy.

Like I said, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. As far as Castleton's village idiot is concerned, Wassall is to blame for it raining yesterday morning.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

The last I heard, the U18s were part of the Academy.

Like I said, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. As far as Castleton's village idiot is concerned, Wassall is to blame for it raining yesterday morning.

Lol! Thanks that just made me spit my tea out on my phone! 

As to the rain it did dry by the afternoon so wassall got it right in the end 

As an employment lawyer the first thing I have to ask is what are the terms of Kevin Phillips' contract?  He may be difficult to move if he wants to stay.  What I can say with relative certainty is his skill as a goalscorer is not reflected in his ability to coach goalscorers.  Is he making the situation worse and could someone do it better? The latter for sure, but who and how? 

Kevin P has to be judged by what we see from our forwards right? They don't appear to make runs and they definitely don't score. The goal drought from our forwards is getting a bit ridiculous. 

Presumably he's showing them what runs to make and how to link up ? Then surely he's allowed to talk to the midfielders too and show them what he wants them to do so they understand the forward play? Or is he just running shooting drills?  Finishing isn't just shooting surely he must know that. If we are the only team in the football league to not score a home goal yet, then fingers are going to be pointed. If we don't score v Ipswich, then surely he will be let go. 

46 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Kevin P has to be judged by what we see from our forwards right? They don't appear to make runs and they definitely don't score. The goal drought from our forwards is getting a bit ridiculous. 

What do you expect, you're ignoring that we got rid of the 3rd best striker in the Championship over the past 3 years, behind McCormack (Villa) and Rhodes (Boro) - what a surprise!

Archived