A wise older head to direct the team's play

mice_elf

If you asked me to name my favourite Derby County player this century, it would be someone who
only played 12 games for us (scoring 3 goals) whilst on loan. This player, single-handedly, transformed
a ragged dispirited team heading for relegation to Div. 1, and helped us avoid going down. He was an
all-action midfield dynamo with more than a touch of class.

He subsequently became a regular Premier League starter for his parent club, who have never been out the
top division in my lifetime, and finally earned Inernational caps for England at age 31.

He is now 35 years old and a free agent, his contract having ended this summer.

He is probably not quite as mobile as he once was, but I'm sure he could do a better job in the
"George Thorne" role than anyone else we've got, other than George himself.

A one year contract, with the option of a further year, won't cost the earth and I'm sure would pay dividends.

Derby's recruitment team should give Leon Osman a call.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

If we are bringing in players that did well for us then I want Stimac, Wanchope, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders, Ted McMinn, and Shilton. All are too old I fear. Still could out perform our team against Burton.

A one legged Thorne on his own could outperform our team at burton tbf

45 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

If we are bringing in players that did well for us then I want Stimac, Wanchope, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders, Ted McMinn, and Shilton. All are too old I fear. Still could out perform our team against Burton.

Nigel Pearson recruited  a 40 year-old Kevin Phillips for Leicester in Jan. 2014, and that didn't turn out too

badly.

56 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

Reminds me of the Bobby Charlton quote when asked if the 1966 World Cup winning team would have beaten Iceland in the Euro's. " 1-0 probably, but we are all in our 70s now ".

Archived