EFL Trophy games

Tony Le Mesmer

Just seen tickets for sale v Vale for the EFL (formerly Johnstones Paint) trophy.

I am presuming that if the cup games against Grimsby and Carlisle produced crowds of circa 10,000 then crowds for these games would be way below 5,000.

How much interest is there from Rams fans for these games do you think?

I think looking at it from a lower league perspective i'm interested to see how these clubs respond to the new format and if there are any major changes in attendances from the usual old JPT games.

Having Championship U23 teams joining the competition just makes it harder for lower league clubs to try and achieve something special and get to Wembley so fans might stay away. On the flip side they may want to see some fringe players and odd regular Championship players so be looking forward to it. Personally from a lower league AND DCFC viewpoint I see the changes as a complete waste of time. I don't think DCFC need this competition and tbh neither do the lower league clubs until they reach the final rounds and then start taking it seriously but interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

I plan to get to Donny away as i'm from Donny originally although I despise the place and glad I got out of there. Also will go to the Mansfield home game but won't be going to Vale Park as it's a pain in the arse at night to drive across Bakewell / Leek and drop down. Could go the 35 miles to Derby then across Uttoxeter way but it's a huge diversion for me.

Adults a tenner at Vale and kids a fiver.

I guess they are glorified friendlies and also clubs like Vale and Donny need to cover costs so pricing I guess reflective of friendlies.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We only get a few hundred fans at under 23 fixtures at the iPro when they are free  to STHs so I can't see many travelling and paying to see these games. 

Don't know what Doncaster is like as a town but I liked their new little ground and the walk round the water. 

4 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think looking at it from a lower league perspective i'm interested to see how these clubs respond to the new format and if there are any major changes in attendances from the usual old JPT games.

Having Championship U23 teams joining the competition just makes it harder for lower league clubs to try and achieve something special and get to Wembley so fans might stay away. On the flip side they may want to see some fringe players and odd regular Championship players so be looking forward to it. Personally from a lower league AND DCFC viewpoint I see the changes as a complete waste of time. I don't think DCFC need this competition and tbh neither do the lower league clubs until they reach the final rounds and then start taking it seriously but interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Why the vote was passed by every lower league club (except Wimbledon);

"Gate Receipts per game:

After deduction of match expenses, all proceeds will be split:
- 45% Home Club
- 45% Away Club
- 10% to the pool account

Invited clubs will donate all or some of their share of gate receipts to a fund that will be shared equally by League One and Two clubs. The proportion given will depend on the round as follows:

Group Stage - Invited Clubs will donate their 45% share to the fund.
Knockout Stage - Invited Clubs will retain 25% of their share and donate 20% to the fund.
Semi-finals & Final - Invited Clubs will retain 30% of their share and donate 15% to the fund

Competition Prize Pool:

Total Prize Fund: Estimated at £1.95 million

Group Stage Win: £10,000
Group Stage Draw: £5,000

Competition Final winner: £100,000.

Other prize fund amounts have yet to be disclosed."

I believe Premiership clubs added roughly £1 million to the pot to cover group win bonuses, although I'm struggling to understand why since many of them turned down the chance to enter. The split basically relies on the lower league clubs valuing pragmatism over glory. Yes, the previous competition was a chance for glory and a significant payday at Wembley, but this format ensures that everyone gets a small pay out even if they lose all their games. I'm sure the lower league clubs will be slightly annoyed that many of the big Premiership teams aren't playing as they were their only chance of getting a semi decent crowd for this shambles of a competition. As is usual in modern football money talks, through a megaphone, and uses extremely poor grammar. There's not a chance I'd go to any of these games because I disagree with the competition format and am highly suspicious of the long term motives of Premiership teams normalising the concept of their u23s competing with the lower leagues. I hope it fails miserably.

A lot of fans from league 1/2 are on about boycotting any games against academy teams. One club even put on their website, if you only want to go to one game please go to the game against the other league1/2 team, might have been Plymouth, can't remember now.

not sure what the attendances are normally like for these games, but can see some really low numbers coming.

2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

not sure what the attendances are normally like for these games, but can see some really low numbers coming.

0 hopefully. They'll realise that this cup is waste of time. 

Archived