The Problem Is.........

Holdontightuk

The problem is, this is still mainly Nigel Clough's team.....at least Martin, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Keogh, Forsyth, Russell and you can include Shackell and Christie too really. And the issue is that its his team but he isn't there. Maybe now, with hindsight, some of you have the ability to see what he was creating? Maybe not, I do though. Small squad, players better than they think they are and a team spirit to bring the best out of them. A group of players to suit Clough's vision and his management style, and in line with the low low investment budget. If these players were to have stayed, then Rush should never have got rid of Clough without allowing him the first opportunity to invest as others since have been allowed. 

Every problem since has stemmed from this one almighty error in judgement by DCFC. We are now on our 4th Manager since Clough departed but it is still, in essence, his team. We have spent how much since Clough left.....35 million maybe? For what? Who spent it? What was the new vision? Did any of the 3 managers prior to Pearson really understand what made this group of players tick? I don't think so. Fortunately, the value of every single one of them has increased - yes, every single one of them since initially signed by Clough. In the meantime, we have bought Bent on no doubt crazy wages, Ince for possibly a break even, Butterfield we might get our money back for, Johnson we are without doubt going to lose money on, ditto Blackman and almost every single one of the signings made by other than Clough. 

Talk about f.....g the job up!!!!

The ONLY chance DCFC has now is to offload many of the Clough players whose value has increased so dramatically.....maybe Hughes, Hendrick, Martin and Russell for possibly £35 to £40 million between them, allowing us to offload Blackman, Bent and Johnson for what will likely be no more than £8 million between them. I would also get rid of Ince for £5 million if we could. Maybe, we can pull in about £50 million in total, with the current back 4 and GK remaining along with Bryson and Butterfield. Then Pearson can set about building his own team rather than suffering the same fate handed down to other Managers of doing a Clough with Clough's players but without his vision. 

Yep, the job was completely f....d up when they fired Clough and then it has been repeatedly f....d up since. Now its time to start again, with Pearson. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough's team did pretty well with Steve Mac in charge.

You may have forgotten but we got very very close to promotion that year.

Last wise last season, with Clough's team we we'd played another 10 minutes or so we probably would have taken it to extra time in the play offs. 

The squad of players isn't where the fault is. It's getting consistency out of them. Form is temporary, class is permanent... 

I dont agree.....SM at least seemed to understand what Clough had achieved, and he said so and showed in the loan signings he made. But in the end it wasn't his team and just maybe that is why they bottled it at the last hurdle. It was still Clough's team. Crazy management by DCFC....they had a manager who had put together this bunch of highly regarded players and then got rid of him expecting someone to come in and finish the job. It wasn't ever going to happen. 

15 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

The problem is, this is still mainly Nigel Clough's team.....at least Martin, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Keogh, Forsyth, Russell and you can include Shackell and Christie too really. And the issue is that its his team but he isn't there. Maybe now, with hindsight, some of you have the ability to see what he was creating? Maybe not, I do though. Small squad, players better than they think they are and a team spirit to bring the best out of them. A group of players to suit Clough's vision and his management style, and in line with the low low investment budget. If these players were to have stayed, then Rush should never have got rid of Clough without allowing him the first opportunity to invest as others since have been allowed. 

Every problem since has stemmed from this one almighty error in judgement by DCFC. We are now on our 4th Manager since Clough departed but it is still, in essence, his team. We have spent how much since Clough left.....35 million maybe? For what? Who spent it? What was the new vision? Did any of the 3 managers prior to Pearson really understand what made this group of players tick? I don't think so. Fortunately, the value of every single one of them has increased - yes, every single one of them since initially signed by Clough. In the meantime, we have bought Bent on no doubt crazy wages, Ince for possibly a break even, Butterfield we might get our money back for, Johnson we are without doubt going to lose money on, ditto Blackman and almost every single one of the signings made by other than Clough. 

Talk about f.....g the job up!!!!

The ONLY chance DCFC has now is to offload many of the Clough players whose value has increased so dramatically.....maybe Hughes, Hendrick, Martin and Russell for possibly £35 to £40 million between them, allowing us to offload Blackman, Bent and Johnson for what will likely be no more than £8 million between them. I would also get rid of Ince for £5 million if we could. Maybe, we can pull in about £50 million in total, with the current back 4 and GK remaining along with Bryson and Butterfield. Then Pearson can set about building his own team rather than suffering the same fate handed down to other Managers of doing a Clough with Clough's players but without his vision. 

Yep, the job was completely f....d up when they fired Clough and then it has been repeatedly f....d up since. Now its time to start again, with Pearson. 

Yawn.....yawn.......yawn.....

4 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

The other problem is........the vocal minority of some of the so called fans who haven't got a clue.

I agree. Some of the threads started recently are laughable.....

It took Clough 75% of the time he was at Derby to clear out the crap and get everything pointing in the right direction again. He needed more time and the team he had built needed more time with him at the helm. I fail to see how anyone with half a football brain could fail to see this, especially with the benefit of hindsight. Firing him, when they did, was a god-awful decision. However, that isn't my point. My point is this team that Clough created needs to be dismantled, cashed-in on, and Pearson needs to be allowed a couple of years to put his own together. 

12 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

It took Clough 75% of the time he was at Derby to clear out the crap and get everything pointing in the right direction again. He needed more time and the team he had built needed more time with him at the helm. I fail to see how anyone with half a football brain could fail to see this, especially with the benefit of hindsight. Firing him, when they did, was a god-awful decision. However, that isn't my point. My point is this team that Clough created needs to be dismantled, cashed-in on, and Pearson needs to be allowed a couple of years to put his own together. 

Teams that were in a worse postion than us over took us whilst Clough was in charge, on less money than he spent. His tactics here would never produce a top 6 finish for us and his mentaility away from home was dumbfounded.

If Nigel Clough is the answer for Derby, I dread what the question is. 

Clough WAS the answer, yes that I firmly believe. He AND the players he had recruited / brought on, needed longer together. Sadly, we will never know what would have happened but I bet Man U fans are thankful that their Board didn't fire Fergie at the point that progress was actually starting to be seen. EVERYONE, incl Steve Mac and Fergie himself acknowledged the change brought about by Clough. 

However, I will repeat, that isn't the point I am making. The time for a rebuild was the time we appointed Clement. We are now 12 months and 30 odd million wasted further down the line and the same scenario faces us again.....ultimately to start again or get Clough back. Luckily, crap though you all seem to think Clough was, we will make a handsome profit on his signings to allow us to do so. 

6 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

The problem is....that there are far too many barrack room lawyers on here whom because they have got promotion to the Premiership playing Champ Manager they then automatically know everything about football management 

It was LMA manager actually

I know Clough achieved more for this club that most seem to realise and that is why its HIS players who will be sold on for enough of a profit for Pearson to go again. Name just one player in the current squad signed by Clement, McClaren or Wassall who we will make a profit on?

Archived