16/17 Captain Conundrum

Day

1 minute ago, Grantona said:

Wasn't the win-loss record better when Baird was captain for the first half of last season? Top at Christmas?

To be really pedantic it was Martin that was captain for the majority of the games from mid September until February. Baird won 3 games drew 5 and lost 2 as captain/starting games.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Grantona said:

I thought Barker was captain that season - my memory must be fading.

Barker started 21 games of 49 that season. Shackell captained the team in the other 28 games, he started and finished the season as captain.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Football funnily enough. 

Have you ever had therapy?

I'm actually thinking about it. The depression and anxiety have reached a new level. I know you are kidding. But I'm there... Actually I have been there for two years. 

3 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I'm actually thinking about it. The depression and anxiety have reached a new level. I know you are kidding. But I'm there... Actually I have been there for two years. 

Serious? 

Sorry dude. I apologise

1 minute ago, Gypsy Ram said:

It's okay skipper. I'll  survive xxx

There's a depression and anxiety thread that might help. I was on my arse for a 7 or 8 months and reading that does give you a bit of perspective. And people on here are supportive. And it gives you that push to go out in the real world and find some solutions. Boosts come from unexpected places. 

Gotta get back to work. Need owt, just shout. 

Tell life to fook off because you're winning anyway.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

There's a depression and anxiety thread that might help. I was on my arse for a 7 or 8 months and reading that does give you a bit of perspective. And people on here are supportive. And it gives you that push to go out in the real world and find some solutions. Boosts come from unexpected places. 

Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Do you realise the value of a captain? Sorry to turn a real life situation to highlight the point. 

13 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Do you realise the value of a captain? Sorry to turn a real life situation to highlight the point. 

The value of leaders? yeah. The value of an armband, nah

You always get lads that talk you through a game. The alpha males on the pitch.

The last team I played for our CB was the captain. But I never really got on with him. He'd point fingers and tell you where to cover and who to pick up and you'd do it. But it was the lad next to him without the armband that was the real leader. No shouting and screaming. Gentle organisation, he'd come over and explain a problem that you can solve. He was hugely popular off the pitch. And then my midfielder partner used to make the wide players defend (something they tried to avoid) 

You need leaders to organise players. To talk them up and give them a wake up call when needed. You need a few. 

But these people do it naturally. Armband or not. 

50 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The value of leaders? yeah. The value of an armband, nah

You always get lads that talk you through a game. The alpha males on the pitch.

The last team I played for our CB was the captain. But I never really got on with him. He'd point fingers and tell you where to cover and who to pick up and you'd do it. But it was the lad next to him without the armband that was the real leader. No shouting and screaming. Gentle organisation, he'd come over and explain a problem that you can solve. He was hugely popular off the pitch. And then my midfielder partner used to make the wide players defend (something they tried to avoid) 

You need leaders to organise players. To talk them up and give them a wake up call when needed. You need a few. 

But these people do it naturally. Armband or not. 

And that's why I prefer player's voting their own captain. Chosen captain is most useful as a link between manager and players.

• 2 weeks later...

Keogh has described it as a great honour to be asked to continue as skipper and Pearson added: "Richard is the natural choice.

"I am not a big believer in having a team captain and a club captain, it is not something I am particularly interested in.

"We have a captain on the field, and Richard fits that bill.

"I am very happy for him to do that.

"We have not really had a discussion about it. I don't think it is something that needs to be discussed at any great length.

"Everybody seems to be pretty hung up on this issue about officially naming a captain but I'd like to think we will have a few more captains, but they won't all be wearing armbands.

"Leadership is something that comes in all different guises but it is important to have somebody on the field who accepts responsibility and who is also a go-between with the management and the players."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-nigel-pearson-on-why-he-named-defender-richard-keogh-as-skipper/story-29598224-detail/story.html#XjA8u3CXGR0XCfZp.99

Archived