Forum navigation

Dordogne_Ram

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cleared all my cache etc... Is loading better now but as has been said, the adverts are larger and take longer to load so quick slides on the phone don't work anymore. I have to watch the advert before I can continue reading threads. I suppose they're trying to force us to accidentally click on it.

Hi mate I'm using safari on my iPhone 6 and whenever I click on the "transfer talk " topic or the " Rams talk" topic I get an advert prompted me to go to my App Store quite frequently , clicked yes just a second ago and it took me to download ladbrokes betting on my App Store?

Really sorry about this, wasn't expecting any of these problems as they work with a number of other sites and have no issues, I have switched back to the old ads whilst they get the code right as they don't work weekends and I'm away Monday. I have asked for strictly no pop ups, unders, full screen, background, redirect ads of any kind. Whilst I do need to think about the forums revenue I'm not willing to sacrifice user experience on the site as others have so none of this should be happening and I'll talk again with them on Tuesday and run a test with the users that have been having issues before going live again.

Thanks for not moaning too much, must have been hard knowing you lot :p 

@David Just being nosey, do you run the forum as your full time job now?

btw, There is no criticism inherent within my question. If you do make a living out of this you do a brilliant job. If you only do this as a hobby, you do a ridiculously brilliant job - but should probably consider some therapy.

In either case - thanks, your efforts are well appreciated.

@David  Always been impressed with how well run this forum is and  all the work you've put into keeping it going. I know how important ads are for helping to cover the costs of running a site

have you ever thought of offering some sort of paid membership/donation option to also help with costs? (as in a regular monthly thing forum members can sign up for, as opposed to just one-time donations)       Personally I don't mind contributing a small amount per month if it means it'll help keep the site running!  A bit like how some podcasts or music apps will let you listen ad-free if you sign up monthly

16 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

@David Just being nosey, do you run the forum as your full time job now?

btw, There is no criticism inherent within my question. If you do make a living out of this you do a brilliant job. If you only do this as a hobby, you do a ridiculously brilliant job - but should probably consider some therapy.

In either case - thanks, your efforts are well appreciated.

Nosey git!

Got to be careful on here as I know some don't agree with me making a penny from running a online community despite all the hours I put in each week but It started out as a hobby, fiver a month hosting and no adverts. 

I created the site during my omg it's so scary to leave the house spell whilst creating and maintaining websites to pay the bills, things have kind of exploded on here since the DET shut down and I have been able to step back from seeking work but not fully.

I'm not on amazing money, couldn't afford my own house or anything, if you convert hours worked on the site to money earnt I'm well under the minimum wage, the sites not free to run now either with plugins, hosting, licence fees, also no pension scheme but able to take 52 weeks holiday a year as long as the hotel has wifi. 

The revenue from the site isn't exactly stable either it's all on views which is why I was fully behind the Clement sacking :ph34r:

Going back to my earlier post this is why user experience is so important, as quick as the DET shut down if I sold out to the pop up ads, redirects etc. This site would fall off a cliff and I would end up packing fish in a factory.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Nosey git!

Got to be careful on here as I know some don't agree with me making a penny from running a online community despite all the hours I put in each week but It started out as a hobby, fiver a month hosting and no adverts. 

I created the site during my omg it's so scary to leave the house spell whilst creating and maintaining websites to pay the bills, things have kind of exploded on here since the DET shut down and I have been able to step back from seeking work but not fully.

I'm not on amazing money, couldn't afford my own house or anything, if you convert hours worked on the site to money earnt I'm well under the minimum wage, the sites not free to run now either with plugins, hosting, licence fees, also no pension scheme but able to take 52 weeks holiday a year as long as the hotel has wifi. 

The revenue from the site isn't exactly stable either it's all on views which is why I was fully behind the Clement sacking :ph34r:

Going back to my earlier post this is why user experience is so important, as quick as the DET shut down if I sold out to the pop up ads, redirects etc. This site would fall off a cliff and I would end up packing fish in a factory.

This site is very well run, provides entertainment, information and a connection with Derby County that is second to none. Anyone that begrudges you making a living from it is a dick-head and their opinion meaningless. It's not as though you fleece anyone or force anyone to donate. You clearly put lots of time into this, and surely it must be obvious to everyone that you need to eat and pay your bills.

3 hours ago, rhysbeck said:

@David  Always been impressed with how well run this forum is and  all the work you've put into keeping it going. I know how important ads are for helping to cover the costs of running a site

have you ever thought of offering some sort of paid membership/donation option to also help with costs? (as in a regular monthly thing forum members can sign up for, as opposed to just one-time donations)       Personally I don't mind contributing a small amount per month if it means it'll help keep the site running!  A bit like how some podcasts or music apps will let you listen ad-free if you sign up monthly

Appreciated, we did and still kind of have a member+ system for those that donate, it used to be done automatically, donate x amount = member+ for X days but the 3rd party plugin developer never updated it for this software version.

One of the perks from that was ad free viewing. 

I was adding people manually as member+ up until recently, everyone that donated are automatically given + status with no expiry but the PayPal link keeps throwing up errors now for some reason.

There is an official app that I can buy which would allow a subscription based forum where subscribers are given extra perks and that but it's hard to judge if it's worth it. The app is around £60 to buy plus 6 month renewals, it links up with PayPal again and they will take their cut from every transaction.

I was thinking about it, simply ad free subscription as some newspapers charge but it's hard to know how many would be interested to make the numbers work. If the app and renewal is more than the subscription not much point. 

Also wouldn't be long before some just advised people to use ad blockers which they did before with the member+ thing. I do understand the hate for ads but time and licence fees cost money ?

I have used ad-blockers before but only sites that misbehave and give me a 10000 pop ups every time I move! 

I can't understand using them for all browsing though. That just kills off sites like this that use adverts properly. 

I think it would great if David could  make a really decent living off this site. I am not brown nosing but come on the man is forced to live in Grimsby and holiday like a boat person! 

Archived