Any easier next season?

toddy

Funny how relegated sides are always tipped to "storm" the league, but relegated sides are almost as likely to join the league's strugglers.

In recent memory, Fulham, Wolves, Blackpool, Wigan and Bolton have either flirted heavily with another drop or have been relegated very soon after their Premier League demotion.

Cardiff, QPR, Birmingham and Blackburn have also hardly looked like world-beaters since their last relegation.

I predict next season will be unpredictable.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People always say it will be tougher next season. The championship is the most competitive league in the world arguably, anyone can beat anyone and going into the season, the only team I would write off to win it would be Burton as Nige is at the helm. However, you generally never know and for me, good summer preperation coupled with good luck in the injury department anyone could do well. 

All I'm saying is Villa & Newcastle are as likely to be a pose a similar threat to us as Ipswich or Blackburn. 

3 hours ago, mumblemumble said:
  • Villa
  • Newcastle
  • Norwich
  • Sheffield Wednesday
  • Hull
  • Derby
  • Brighton
  • Ipswich
  • Cardiff
  • Birmingham
  • Brentford
  • Preston
  • QPR
  • Leeds
  • Wolves
  • Blackburn
  • Notts Forest
  • Reading
  • Bristol City
  • Huddersfield
  • Fulham
  • Rotheram
  • Wigan
  • Burton
  • Barnsley
  • Millwall

Any of the ones in bold could be right up there.

I would add Brizzle City and Udders to that list

I think the gap between the prem and championship has got wider, so if Toons and Norwich do keep their current squads, they will be head and shoulders above everybody else. The add the extra spending they are allowed to do and it will be a lot harder for the rest of us in the championship.

This league is increasingly become more about resources. It's no coincidence that the teams who went up were able to sign strikers like Andre Gray and Jordan Rhodes. As well as players like Stewart Downing, Cristhian Stuani, wages for Joey Barton and Gaston Ramirez etc. Brighton have resources. Obviously they did not spend as much as others in this league, but they still had enough to sign five £1million+ players as well as more undisclosed and attracting players like James Wilson on loan. Hull had a very good squad anyway. Their relegation was a surprise and they managed to keep most of their key players. We of course spent a lot, and despite being poor for a lot of the season still managed to finish 5th. Sheffield Wednesday also had the ability to sign a few players. Their fee for Forestieri was around £4million. They also paid around £2million for a young Portuguese striker who doesn't even start for them. Not many clubs outside of the top six could afford to do that.

That's why I don't see many surprise sides breaking through. The teams who just missed out on the play-offs such as Cardiff, Ipswich and Birmingham haven't been able to spend a lot and unless that changes are likely to miss out again. Teams like QPR and Wolves may be able to make a push, and there may be challenges from sides with good squads that just need the right management to have a chance, such as Brentford. Other than that, I can't see an awful lot of challengers. The Championship is of course unpredictable, but I'd be surprised to see any side finish above at least two of the five teams (the three unsuccessful play-off sides + Norwich and Newcastle).

6 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

It's always said that relegated teams will storm the Championship, and rarely turns out to be true. What seems to happen is that they struggle to adjust up until Christmas, but once the new year sets in, their players seem to acclimatise and their extra quality starts to count. In the end, many relegated teams do indeed bounce back, but hardly ever in a dominant fashion.

Normally clubs coming down in the turmoil of Villa would be more concerned about avoiding a second relegation than promotion. Norwich appear destined to be a major force. Newcastle could go either way - Mike Ashley can usually be relied on the make stupid decisions, but they do have a few very good players.

However, there are two changes coming in that alter things so much from previous seasons to make predictions almost impossible. Firstly, the three relegated clubs will have £40m parachute payments. Next, in a move of Blatteresque corruption, new FFP rules allow relegated teams to lose £35m, whereas the rest of us can only lose £13m. It's aggregated over three season, but all that means is any undershoot in the last two seasons can be added to the next one. Given that most clubs have used most of their FFP allowance, very few will be able to spend more than £14m. Assuming that both Newcastle and Villa turnover £10m more than us anyway, with their parachute payment and enhanced FFP allowance, they will be able to spend £72m more than us (and we're not exactly paupers) and meet their FFP target. Even if Norwich have the same turnover as us, they will still be able to spend £62m more than us.

In previous seasons the playing field has not bee level. Yet good management has often been able to make up for the slope. Now that the playing field has been moved to Mt Everest, I wonder whether it will still be surmountable?

Leicester have changed all the existing notions about money buying success, good management and proper scouting is the new way, over to you Mel

Archived