Eurovision

LesterRam

Come on, no thread really :ph34r:

so I watched the whole thing, yeah I know? Something our esteemed presenter Graham Norton said that had me thinking...

The UK is one of 3-4 that pays to make the finals, we are clearly unpopular with euro voters and the only 12 points were from Malta, yes we are letting Malta vote in the EU referendum so it's expected.

my question is should we be paying vast sums to come third bottom? Ireland failed to qualify with a much stronger song.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I love eurovision but we should leave now. Its a bit baffling to know that we are one of the 'Big 5', responsible for hosting it should Australia win, and they came close last night! 

Europe needs our money but they don't like us, its plainly obvious, which is why no singer/ group from the UK who values their career will ever get anywhere. 

Sandy Shaw had a premonition when she sang 'Puppet on a String' I'm sure, cos it seems that's what we are when it comes to pleasing Europe.

Sith Happens

Its a load of rubbish really, our song was ok, certainly not as low as 3rd best out of what i saw.

No song is allowed if it has a political meaning behind it, so goodness lnows hows Ukraines got through, singing about 1944 Russia, which imo, was a dreadful song. 

Putin's gonna be vexed.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, ladyram said:

No song is allowed if it has a political meaning behind it, so goodness lnows hows Ukraines got through, singing about 1944 Russia, which imo, was a dreadful song. 

Putin's gonna be vexed.

Yeah song was awful, its the same old, one rule for one.

Did anyone else reckon Poland picked up so many votes because whilst you're not allowed to vote for your own country loads of Poles have emigrated to other places in Europe?

Who cares about a brain drain when it bumps you up to third in Eurovision

That song contest is ruined these days. The songs has nothing to do how you do in voting. Here in Finland jurys will give points for these reasons. Politics, gayness, tits, and how flashy is the show. The phone votes varies but the same reasons matter and also the fact that we have a lot of Russians living here and they will vote for their song regardless how good it is.

Then there are also those who vote for the song but with the jury and those who vote for other reasons it doesn't even come close to being a song contest.

Don't worry, I am entering next year and yes I took advice from "what song will win" from last night...

I'm singing about a gay black man with one leg who won his battle with alcoholism and found a friend in his labradoodle, I'll mention how fantastic all of Europe is and I can't believe we are voting to leave all in four minutes :ph34r:

Have I covered everything?

5 hours ago, LesterRam said:

so I watched the whole thing, yeah I know? Something our esteemed presenter Graham Norton said that had me thinking...

The UK is one of 3-4 that pays to make the finals, we are clearly unpopular with euro voters and the only 12 points were from Malta, yes we are letting Malta vote in the EU referendum so it's expected.

my question is should we be paying vast sums to come third bottom? Ireland failed to qualify with a much stronger song.

Dunno- but Mel paid vast sums to come 5th.

23 hours ago, LesterRam said:

I'm a bit surprised that Brexit campaigners haven't jumped on the "look how everyone in Europe hates us anyway, so we might as well leave" message that came out of Eurovision.

I like Eurovision if only for the visual spectacle - they certainly know how to put on a show. Also I thought the "How to win Eurovision" Intermmission entertainment was very good as well.

On Ireland's song - it may have been a good song but the performance of it in the semis was poor. he'd got a very weak voice and didn't deserve to go through on what I saw.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm a bit surprised that Brexit campaigners haven't jumped on the "look how everyone in Europe hates us anyway, so we might as well leave" message that came out of Eurovision.

I like Eurovision if only for the visual spectacle - they certainly know how to put on a show. Also I thought the "How to win Eurovision" Intermmission entertainment was very good as well.

On Ireland's song - it may have been a good song but the performance of it in the semis was poor. he'd got a very weak voice and didn't deserve to go through on what I saw.

Oh I'm with you brother, I watch it every year but paying to be in the finals isn't a level playing field.

I didn't know we paid to enter. This should stop immediately as not only is it a complete waste of money, it devalues the competition (if it possibly could be devalued any further) when nations can pay to effect the results. Would people who watch the show currently really care whether the UK was competing or not? Surely crap is crap, regardless of what country it originates from.

35 minutes ago, Anon said:

I didn't know we paid to enter. This should stop immediately as not only is it a complete waste of money, it devalues the competition (if it possibly could be devalued any further) when nations can pay to effect the results. Would people who watch the show currently really care whether the UK was competing or not? Surely crap is crap, regardless of what country it originates from.

From memory (and because I don't care enough to look it up now), Eurovision is run by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), of which the UK via BBC is a member. They pay to put on the event and there are about 5 countries who pay the lion's share to support the EBU and Eurovision (UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain). Eurovision wouldn't happen without this money and in return for it, those 5 countries have guaranteed places in the final.

It's hardly paying to affect the results when only France, of those 5 main contributors, finished in the top half and 3 of the bottom 5 were UK, Spain and Germany.

I don't think it even costs us that much. I read somewhere couple of years ago that Eurovision costs the BBC about the same as half an episode of Doctor Who.

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

From memory (and because I don't care enough to look it up now), Eurovision is run by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), of which the UK via BBC is a member. They pay to put on the event and there are about 5 countries who pay the lion's share to support the EBU and Eurovision (UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain). Eurovision wouldn't happen without this money and in return for it, those 5 countries have guaranteed places in the final.

It's hardly paying to affect the results when only France, of those 5 main contributors, finished in the top half and 3 of the bottom 5 were UK, Spain and Germany.

I don't think it even costs us that much. I read somewhere couple of years ago that Eurovision costs the BBC about the same as half an episode of Doctor Who.

Well noted, so the five that pay the money never win, in fact you are better off not even being in Europe to win Eurovision

Archived