Star Wars Day

Day

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

No, it's not. There's vast original star wars work out there, that aren't movies. Namely all the work BioWare has done, which is the primary reason I'm a Star Wars fan.

But that's video games that have spun off the films.

Like saying I'm a huge fan of Mad Max just not the films

Just now, David said:

But that's video games that have spun off the films.

Like saying I'm a huge fan of Mad Max just not the films

Not even similar lol

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No, it's not. There's vast original star wars work out there, that aren't movies. Namely all the work BioWare has done, which is the primary reason I'm a Star Wars fan.

Work that isn't even relevant to the movies.

KOTOR1 was good. KOTOR2 was brilliant, but that was Obsidian, not Bioware. SWTOR is liquid excrement.

17 minutes ago, David said:

My TV rarely goes on now, I would get rid of Sky if it wasn't for Sport, all these so called must see dramas send me to sleep.

What was that box set you binge watched the other month?

Anyway,

I used the force this morning, too many pickled eggs i recon at the pub.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

What was that box set you binge watched the other month?

Anyway,

I used the force this morning, too many pickled eggs i recon at the pub.

Not watched any box set in ages now, last one I started to watch was Lucky Man and gave up on that as well.

Last one I saw through to the end was Prison Break and that was painful, gave up on season 3 of Game of Thrones and 4 of Walking Dead after seeing the light.

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

KOTOR1 was good. KOTOR2 was brilliant, but that was Obsidian, not Bioware. SWTOR is liquid excrement.

KOTOR 2 was Obsidian. KOTOR 1 was BioWare. 

Stories in SWTOR aren't excrement, in my opinion. The gameplay in order to experience the story maybe, but I was in it for the story. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

KOTOR 2 was Obsidian. KOTOR 1 was BioWare.

Stories in SWTOR aren't excrement, in my opinion. The gameplay in order to experience the story maybe, but I was in it for the story.

Fair enough. I haven't played it, so I can't comment on the story, but I refuse to play through a 2nd rate MMO to get at the story no matter how good it is. I just can't understand why Bioware seemingly hate their core audience so much. They're renowned for making good rpgs but after good sales and reviews of the first games they decided to turn Mass Effect into a crap shooter/dating sim and Kotor into an mmo.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

Fair enough. I haven't played it, so I can't comment on the story, but I refuse to play through a 2nd rate MMO to get at the story no matter how good it is. I just can't understand why Bioware seemingly hate their core audience so much. They're renowned for making good rpgs but after good sales and reviews of the first games they decided to turn Mass Effect into a crap shooter/dating sim and Kotor into an mmo.

Yeah, I didn't understand it from their perspective. I played it as I was (and still am) becoming decreasingly able to free up the time to play single players game over multiplayer ones. Every class had its own storyline, which I thought was cool. You can play it like a single player game, just with the odd sith empire/republic hero in the background as you move between cities :p I have pretty fond memories of it, to be honest.

Mass Effect I know the story of, but didn't play it much myself. 

Personally I think BioWare suffered from expansion, the company got bigger and with that people (I imagine) got moved around projects. They're not exactly going the way of Ubisoft, some of the stuff they're doing is still great.

5 hours ago, David said:

May the force, May the fourth....how cute.

Still crap films, I challenge you all to name one or a series of films that are more overrated, more overhyped than this look how cool I am for watching Star Wars rubbish.

Easy.  The Fast & The Furious "saga"

I know it's only 2 films in but I guarantee that the majority of the DC universe films will be awful...

Just now, ramsbottom said:

Easy.  The Fast & The Furious "saga"

I know it's only 2 films in but I guarantee that the majority of the DC universe films will be awful...

Whoevers calling the shots behind that has called some pretty **** ones so far, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Whoevers calling the shots behind that has called some pretty **** ones so far, that's for sure.

Haven't seen BvS yet, but that's because I could tell from the trailers that it was going to be an overlong bore-fest.  No to get anywhere near the critical/box office success of Marvel, despite having the two most recognisable superheroes in the world is criminal.  Typical studio exec thinking, "I know, Nolan's Batman films worked really well because they were gritty and grounded, we should do all our other characters in the same way".  Someone should've pointed out you really can't do that with God like aliens.  Plus Marvel's films aren't all the same, you can tell they're Marvel films but all of them have a particular slant on the formula that keeps it fresh...

Anyway, back to Star Wars, finally downloaded and watched Force Awakens for the first time since opening day and found it a lot less annoying the second time around.

40 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Haven't seen BvS yet, but that's because I could tell from the trailers that it was going to be an overlong bore-fest.  No to get anywhere near the critical/box office success of Marvel, despite having the two most recognisable superheroes in the world is criminal.  Typical studio exec thinking, "I know, Nolan's Batman films worked really well because they were gritty and grounded, we should do all our other characters in the same way".  Someone should've pointed out you really can't do that with God like aliens.  Plus Marvel's films aren't all the same, you can tell they're Marvel films but all of them have a particular slant on the formula that keeps it fresh...

Anyway, back to Star Wars, finally downloaded and watched Force Awakens for the first time since opening day and found it a lot less annoying the second time around.

I just don't think any of the major plot points made any sense. Dialogue - as well as being downright poorly written - was contrived and out of place at times, even out of character at a couple of points.

The bright colours were nice though.

36 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I just don't think any of the major plot points made any sense. Dialogue - as well as being downright poorly written - was contrived and out of place at times, even out of character at a couple of points.

The bright colours were nice though.

You talking BvS or Force Awakwns???

Just now, ramsbottom said:

You talking BvS or Force Awakwns???

Force awakens.

There were no bright colours in BvS

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Mass Effect I know the story of, but didn't play it much myself. 

Personally I think BioWare suffered from expansion, the company got bigger and with that people (I imagine) got moved around projects. They're not exactly going the way of Ubisoft, some of the stuff they're doing is still great.

EA's acquisition of BW really harmed them. You look at Mass Effect 3, and it comes across as rushed, and then you discover that they were pushed, hard, by EA on the release timescales. If they'd had another six months that could have been a great game, but they literally wrote the ending mission within the last few weeks before having to craft it. 

The Mass Effect 3 ending debacle also hurt them, reputationally. Their absolute refusal to admit that they screwed up, and the tone they took when they eventually decided that they couldn't ride out the sh1tstorm - that they were doing the DLC because fans didn't 'get' their original ending, stank.

It also didn't help that they completely misjudged their target audience and what they'd 'accept'. Not enjoy, just what they'd accept as a bare minimum. 

6 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Don't be silly. There's plenty wrong with LoTR but plenty incredible about it also. 

Can be overrated in your opinion, because everyone can't like something, but I don't think movies that won Oscars should be in a discussion for it, personally :p 

End of the discussion then really. As everything is just going to be an opinion. 

A film which wins Oscars, can still be over rated. In fact , I suppose the more it wins awards , the higher the chance that it's over rated! 

We're not talking about whether something is good or not. Just whether it's over rated. 

I nearly lost the will to live trying to watch the first LoTR, so gave up and didn't bother with the rest. 

Here's one I think is over rated. Shawshank Redemption. 

Nothing much wrong with it. A pretty good film. But........ The way people went on about it, and how often it gets into top ten lists and so on. For me, that's over rated. 

Archived