Star Wars Day

Day

May the force, May the fourth....how cute.

Still crap films, I challenge you all to name one or a series of films that are more overrated, more overhyped than this look how cool I am for watching Star Wars rubbish.

Really wouldn't suprise me if the same fans watch Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. IQ drainers I like to call them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realise that by starting the discussion, you are helping perpetuate the very thing you dislike so much.

I'm not sure they are over-rated. Everyone knows that 3 of the films are rubbish and many think the same of Return of the Jedi. The latest one was certainly over-hyped but that was because of the expectation of having the first proper good Star Wars film in 34 years, since Empire Strikes Back.

I watched Force Awakens again at the weekend with Mrs Wolfie, who hadn't seen it & I found it a lot less annoying the second time. I was actually noticing the differences to A New Hope, rather than getting annoyed by the similarities, as I did the first time.

I've never seen Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Still crap films, I challenge you all to name one or a series of films that are more overrated, more overhyped than this look how cool I am for watching Star Wars rubbish.

How about the Bourne franchise?

You're right in the sense that three and a half decent films out of seven doesn't warrant the cultural phenomenon nonsense that comes along with Star Wars. It's a triumph of marketing more than anything. George Lucas is a **** film director and possibly the world's greediest man, but he knew how to promote his crap and now Disney are doing the same. What's the stupidest piece of Star Wars merchandise you've ever seen? One of my friends owns a Darth Vader themed Mr Potato Head.

1 hour ago, David said:

Really wouldn't suprise me if the same fans watch Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. IQ drainers I like to call them.

Really trying to get a bite out of me today, hey David? :(

1 hour ago, David said:

Think all the Star Wars films are generally poor overall, as I've said previously. Still a huge fan of the universe though, and therefore will watch them.

Watched The Force Awakens last week, arguably one of the worst movies yet. Just dreadful. High budget kept me watching though, special effects and cinematography was superb.

Also think Game of Thrones has far too much subtlety to be an IQ drainer, haven't watched enough Walking Dead to comment, couldn't get into it at all.

Just now, ketteringram said:

Have not seen any of the star wars films, not my sort of thing, so can't comment. 

To answer your question though, surely it must be Lord of the rings. 

Don't be silly. There's plenty wrong with LoTR but plenty incredible about it also. 

Can be overrated in your opinion, because everyone can't like something, but I don't think movies that won Oscars should be in a discussion for it, personally :p 

13 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Have not seen any of the star wars films, not my sort of thing, so can't comment. 

That's actually a great call as would Harry Potter be, but I reckon Star Wars just shades them both ever so slightly

Just now, David said:

That's actually a great call as would Harry Potter be, but I reckon Star Wars just shades them both ever so slightly

Harry Potter I'll give you. 

25 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Toilet humour

I reckon the world splits in to sci fantasy fans and others 

loved Star Wars first time round in my teens . Empire strikes back was even better, Jedi got a bit schmalzy and all the other have just been "ok "special effects films riding on the back of the original. New hope now seems very dated and cringy but many action films that are 40 years old are pretty much the same. 

Game of Thrones is excellent both In book form and the TV .. IQ draining ? Well I'd rather watch that than endless soap operas, artificial US serial killer/legal dramas, talent shows, and tawdry sit coms. 

My TV rarely goes on now, I would get rid of Sky if it wasn't for Sport, all these so called must see dramas send me to sleep.

More characters in Game of Thrones than Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Holyoaks and Brookside put together and they don't make it easy by giving them normal names, there's no Dave or Sharon but Tyrion, what kind of name is that.

All it does is disguise how boring the storyline is whilst you're sat there trying to remember what that hobbit looking things name is

1 minute ago, jono said:

I reckon the world splits in to sci fantasy fans and others 

loved Star Wars first time round in my teens . Empire strikes back was even better, Jedi got a bit schmalzy and all the other have just been "ok "special effects films riding on the back of the original. New hope now seems very dated and cringy but many action films that are 40 years old are pretty much the same. 

Game of Thrones is excellent both In book form and the TV .. IQ draining ? Well I'd rather watch that than endless soap operas, artificial US serial killer/legal dramas, talent shows, and tawdry sit coms. 

Empire Strikes Back is the only Star Wars movie that would be considered a good/great movie in its own right.

Rest are all poor on multiple levels. The prequel trilogy would be 20-30% better if they simply hadn't cast Hayden Christensen. A further 10% improvement if JarJar didn't exist (his species weren't actually all that annoying, I though Big Boss was a good character). 

Latest one is easily the movie I've liked least. Plot made no sense, writing was awful (as it is generally in Star Wars), acting was generally pretty unconvincing (again, a common SW trait) but the landscapes, cinematography and general special effects were excellent.

Still a huge Star Wars fan, just not a huge fan of the movies. Far too much wrong with them to conjure the defense of them that some people manage. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Still a huge Star Wars fan, just not a huge fan of the movies. Far too much wrong with them to conjure the defense of them that some people manage. 

That's like saying I'm a huge McDonalds fan just not a huge fan of the food

6 minutes ago, David said:

That's like saying I'm a huge McDonalds fan just not a huge fan of the food

No, it's not. There's vast original star wars work out there, that aren't movies. Namely all the work BioWare has done, which is the primary reason I'm a Star Wars fan.

Work that isn't even relevant to the movies.

Archived