Charles Vernam (Loan) - ÍB Vestmannaeyja

BottrillRAM

In 2013 ÍBV manager "The Herminator" Hermann Hreiðarsson talked David James
into becoming a player/coach there.  They've taken a few young English players
on loan, so this is keeping in line with their strategy.

Vestmannaeyjar is a small island off the south coast of Iceland, there was an eruption in 1973   and all the inhabitants had to be evacuated, so Charles will be spending his summer on an active volcanic island  along with it's 5000 plus locals.  The Úrvalsdeild has become much stronger in recent years so this will be a great way for Charles to hone his skills during the summer break.   It's a win win for everyone and should a hot shot youngster develop there, it's good to have connections.  Ásgeir Sigurvinsson (Ziggy) a world class player and legend in Germany started at ÍBV.    

Eldgosid%20a%20heimaey.jpg                                                                                                     

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ramit said:

In 2013 ÍBV manager "The Herminator" Hermann Hreiðarsson talked David James
into becoming a player/coach there.  They've taken a few young English players
on loan, so this is keeping in line with their strategy.

Vestmannaeyjar is a small island off the south coast of Iceland, there was an eruption in 1973   and all the inhabitants had to be evacuated, so Charles will be spending his summer on an active volcanic island  along with it's 5000 plus locals.  The Úrvalsdeild has become much stronger in recent years so this will be a great way for Charles to hone his skills during the summer break.   It's a win win for everyone and should a hot shot youngster develop there, it's good to have connections.  Ásgeir Sigurvinsson (Ziggy) a world class player and legend in Germany started at ÍBV.    

Eldgosid%20a%20heimaey.jpg                                                                                                     

That's look beautiful. 

2 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

That's look beautiful. 

I remember it well - the entire population was evacuated and firefighters fought to keep the harbour open by spraying water on the lava flows in order to create barriers. The main island is Heimaey, and the volcano is Eldfell. The island group also includes Surtsey, which people of my age will also remember being in the news in the 1960's.

Incidentally, the area of Heimaey is one fifth the size of the city of Derby.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I remember it well - the entire population was evacuated and firefighters fought to keep the harbour open by spraying water on the lava flows in order to create barriers. The main island is Heimaey, and the volcano is Eldfell. The island group also includes Surtsey, which people of my age will also remember being in the news in the 1960's.

Incidentally, the area of Heimaey is one fifth the size of the city of Derby.

As usual, you know your stuff Eddie.  i was 12 and wanted to join the volunteers sent over to save property and shovel ash off of roofs but mother was totally unreasonable about it.  i spent the summer of '83 working in the freezing plant in between scandalous drunken bouts.  Was this close to falling to my death off of Heimaklettur while trying to net a puffin.  Luckily hunting has been restricted for a few years so Charles won't have any reason to wander up there and in case you read this Charles, don't even think of it, all stones come loose, it's damned dangerous.

Try this instead :whistle:

3 minutes ago, ramit said:

As usual, you know your stuff Eddie.  i was 12 and wanted to join the volunteers sent over to save property and shovel ash off of roofs but mother was totally unreasonable about it.  i spent the summer of '83 working in the freezing plant in between scandalous drunken bouts.  Was this close to falling to my death off of Heimaklettur while trying to net a puffin.  Luckily hunting has been restricted for a few years so Charles won't have any reason to wander up there and in case you read this Charles, don't even think of it, all stones come loose, it's damned dangerous.

Try this instead :whistle:

Far too athletic for me.

I am fascinated by volcanoes, and am a regular visitor to Volcano Cafe, the Iceland Met Office etc (the webcams were compulsive viewing during the Holuhraun fissure eruption). One day, I hope to visit Iceland for a few days.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

Far too athletic for me.

I am fascinated by volcanoes, and am a regular visitor to Volcano Cafe, the Iceland Met Office etc (the webcams were compulsive viewing during the Holuhraun fissure eruption). One day, I hope to visit Iceland for a few days.

If you do please let me know, i've got a lousy car to drive you around in and a small spare bedroom should you wish.  Just think of all the beers you haven't tasted :)

2 hours ago, ramit said:

If you do please let me know, i've got a lousy car to drive you around in and a small spare bedroom should you wish.  Just think of all the beers you haven't tasted :)

Any country that celebrates Beer Day has to be worth a visit.

On 8.5.2016 at 23:19, ilkleyram said:

Any footage?

No footage from the first game but found footage of the goals in the Fjölnir - ÍBV one.

Vernam is number 33 and played the whole game.

Have been a bit busy lately but i will follow him during the season and report any scraps i can pick up.

14 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Wasn't beer illegal in Iceland until the late 1980s? They have a lot of catching up to do.

Yes it was, but we have already caught up and then some.  We were even thirstier for it before it was legalized.  i can recall sailing across the Atlantic on our way home from a foreign port and every crew member, except for me was blotto the whole time. i had lived in USA and so for me it wasn't anything to get excited about.  i can still hear those empty bottles stored in every available nook and cranny clinking and clanking with every movement of the ship.                                                       

Archived