Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Ram14 said:

If it was up to me.... Grant, Baird, Shackell, Pearce, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Johnson, Martin, Camara would all go but that wouldn't happen and many of you won't agree with my Thorne choice but honestly he is injury prone and wouldn't fit a 4-4-2 formation which is what I would hope we go with

Yes

No

14 minutes ago, Ram14 said:

If it was up to me.... Grant, Baird, Shackell, Pearce, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Johnson, Martin, Camara would all go but that wouldn't happen and many of you won't agree with my Thorne choice but honestly he is injury prone and wouldn't fit a 4-4-2 formation which is what I would hope we go with

Thank God it's not up to you .

6 minutes ago, Ram14 said:

Would only sell Forsyth cos I would like Max Lowe to play more often.

Personally believe Roos, Santos, Rawson, Lowe, Hanson, Zanzala should all be given a chance competitively

You'd sell one of the league's best right backs to give a good (but not great) U21 game-time AHEAD of Olsson? 

31 minutes ago, Ram14 said:

All of this post is ridiculous but for arguments sake why don't you think that Thorne can play 4-4-2? 

May as well. Probably around 80% of our squad has been there for the past 2-3 seasons and we have still not gone up. Players like Keogh, Bryson, Russell, Martin etc are good but clearly not good enough. Thorne is an exception cos he has been injured

Just now, Ram14 said:

May as well. Probably around 80% of our squad has been there for the past 2-3 seasons and we have still not gone up. Players like Keogh, Bryson, Russell, Martin etc are good but clearly not good enough. Thorne is an exception cos he has been injured

Around 80% of Leicesters premier league winning squad spent 2-3 seasons in the Championship failing to go up until they did. Just a heads up. You progress by building on what you have, not by hitting reset.

Only one circumstance calls for a reset: Relegation. And even then, not always.

4 minutes ago, Ram14 said:

Thorne I believe is too slow for a 2 in midfield

Real life isn't Fifa.  Cambiasso played in midfield in Pearson's 4-4-2 Leicester team despite being slow. Some of the best teams in the world who have played 4-4-2 recently have/had at least 1 "slow midfielder" in their team to control the game. For example when Real Madrid smashed Bayern 4-0 in the champions league in 2014, they played Xabi Alonso, who is slow as ****, in a midfield 2. Spain won the world cup playing Alonso and Busquets in a 2 man midfield. Atletico Madrid got to the champions league final playing Gabi, another slow player in a 2 man centre midfield. I appreciate Thorne is nowhere near as good as the players listed above but if centre mids had to be fast and athletic to play in a 4-4-2, then why did those teams choose those players in a 2 man midfield? I'll copy as paste my post in the Hendrick thread for you:

I don't get this obsession that in a 2 man midfield both midfielders have to box to box and have lots of stamina. That may have been what it was like in the past but not anymore. In a 4-4-2 for example more often than not, one player will be a little deeper than the other centre midfielder otherwise all it will take for one opposition player to dribble past the middle line then they will be in for a goalscoring opportunity. Thorne and Hughes would be fine in a midfield 2. If anything, the 2 wingers in a 4-4-2 need to have more stamina to go back and forth when attacking and defending.

2 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

What do you mean his 'clearly a better striker'? He has had half a good season in the championship whereas Martin has had 3 seasons in in the Championship where he has consistently scored and assisted goals.

Didn't realise you would hinge on every word! maybe I should of put in my opinion!

I think most people excluding Derby fans would rather have Britt.

2 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

How is he clearly a better striker? They both have roughly a 2.3 goals to game ratio since signing permanently for their current clubs. Assombalonga has age on his side, but Martin brings a lot more to a team than just goals like Assombalonga does. Martin has 23 assists since signing for us permanently compared to Assombalonga's 1 since signing for Forest. And to top it all off, we got Martin on a free and they had to pay upwards of £5 million for Assombalonga.

Because 2.3 goal ratio in that forest side is impressive. 2.3 in a Derby side where you have one of the best midfields if not the best in the division behind you is a minimum ratio IMO.

Evidence being before Derby he was never that prolific and was released (excluding in league one for one year with Norwich if I remember correctly)

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

But like some Dcfc strikers! Never had a chance!!!

If ya say he scores goals then conceding he doesn't score that many because he never had the chance then maybe its best to give the other DCFC strikers a chance?

So my original comment stands of him not 'improving us'

One final point on this is he couldn't hold down a Brighton starting place.

Just now, Simsy said:

If ya say he scores goals then conceding the doesn't score that many because he never had the chance then maybe its best to give the other DCFC strikers a chance?

So my original comment stands of him not 'improving us'

One final point on this is he couldn't hold down a Brighton starting place.

Correct - Neither did Bent or Wieman (hold down a place) - neither team went up.  How do you know on improving things - if not given a chance - - you are right - give our guys a chance then - they we would at least know on whether to keep them - or look for fresh blood.

To be honest  - it might not be a good tactic by Pearson - hold off until Xams  - and work with the squad hes got and give it a chance (but as we well know  - everyone wants to hit the ground running and have at least 28 pts from the first ten games lol

Just now, irobinson said:

Correct - Neither did Bent or Wieman (hold down a place) - neither team went up.  How do you know on improving things - if not given a chance - - you are right - give our guys a chance then - they we would at least know on whether to keep them - or look for fresh blood.

To be honest  - it might not be a good tactic by Pearson - hold off until Xams  - and work with the squad hes got and give it a chance (but as we well know  - everyone wants to hit the ground running and have at least 28 pts from the first ten games lol

sorry put a not in there - and it shouldn't be in!! it might be a good tactic!!

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Because 2.3 goal ratio in that forest side is impressive. 2.3 in a Derby side where you have one of the best midfields if not the best in the division behind you is a minimum ratio IMO.

Evidence being before Derby he was never that prolific and was released (excluding in league one for one year with Norwich if I remember correctly)

Martin matches his goals to game ratio over the past few seasons, has many more assists and has created more chances than nearly everyone in the Championship, never mind just Assombalonga. And I'm not having that rubbish about him owing it to the midfield behind him. During the 14/15 season Assombalonga had a midfield including Antonio, Lansbury and Gardner behind him, all very talented players. During that season Derby's midfield included; Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson - missed a lot through injury and never regained his form from the previous season, Ward - missed half the season through injury, Eustace - missed half of the season through injury, Thorne - missed virtually all of the season through injury and Ince - rarely played with Martin. 

Both Martin and Assombalonga picked up injuries during that season and both played roughly the same number of games, guess who scored and assisted more? Drum roll please ....

8 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Both Martin and Assombalonga picked up injuries during that season and both played roughly the same number of games, guess who scored and assisted more? Drum roll please ....

Ross McCormack...?:ph34r:

Archived