Brighton and Hove Albion v Derby County

eddie

5 hours ago, eddie said:

So you hold no truck whatsoever with this 'momentum' malarkey at all, then?

Brighton (the place I was coming back from while you were whingeing about the lack of an Ipswich match thread ;) ) bust a gut and were absolutely delighted to take that meaningless point because it keeps their unbeaten run going. Teams take confidence from different things - but talk of 'optimal strategy' is Clement-speak.

It was more important for us to win the three points in terms of the future of our club than Brighton get a draw in terms of the future of theirs. Clement was a bright boy but one who didn't have the opportunity to play Bryson or Hughes so needed to keep us in contention until they made it back to fitness. It could be argued that was a pretty optimal strategy which has got us to where we are. :p

Glad my whinging about the (lack of) Ipswich thread has borne fruit. Keep up the good work through to the first few games of next season!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Missed all of this. Just watched extended highlights on Ramsplayer and read the thread. Frankly, I'm devastated by that late concession which could mean everything.

As I've said before, one team in the playoffs has a massive disadvantage because their home match is a dull lunchtime kickoff lacking in atmosphere when the other three home games are night matches under the lights with everyone buzzing. Had we held on for the win we had a good chance of getting 4th. Now we're almost certain to finish fifth and be at that disadvantage.

To that end, I'd rest players and try to give a little match practice to some of the benchwarmers for the Ipswich game. Having given up a great advantage by conceding against 10 men I'd suggest our optimal strategy now is to rest key players rather than risk injury going all out to win the Ipswich game and hope Hull also lose at home to Rotherham. If, during the game, it looks as if the win takes us fourth, bring on some firepower from the bench.

It's even more gutting because it didn't matter at all to Brighton. Made no difference about the result they will need at Boro.

I would be surprised if Brightons goal makes any difference at all. First of all, hull will get 4th anyway if they beat Rotherham, which they should. If they draw and we win we can still get 4th. And I think you exaggerate the advantage of getting 4th not 5th. Preston beat us in the semis as did Blackburn. We beat milwall in the semis. All these games, the winning team played at home first. 

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I would be surprised if Brightons goal makes any difference at all. First of all, hull will get 4th anyway if they beat Rotherham, which they should. If they draw and we win we can still get 4th. And I think you exaggerate the advantage of getting 4th not 5th. Preston beat us in the semis as did Blackburn. We beat milwall in the semis. All these games, the winning team played at home first. 

The main point is that if they draw we cannot now get 4th by winning, unless we win by 6 clear goals. Had we not conceded that equalizer then any win against Ipswich would have done.

The other point is that it's not about playing home or away first. It's that all the other 3 teams play at home at night under lights which almost always has a brilliant atmosphere, while we shall have to play with a sterile lunchtime kickoff when it's almost impossible to get a good atmosphere.

Hence I'm gutted. We need every advantage and we threw one away.

12 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Agreed. I would be very, very surprised if Hull don't beat Rotherham. If they do then it wouldn't make a difference whether we got 0, 1 or 3 points against Brighton because we wouldn't finish 4th either way. I said it on the match thread, if we're going to point the finger at any game and say "those 2 points dropped are why we didn't get 4th", then the Brighton game wouldn't be at the front of my mind.

As regards to being at a disadvantage to playing at home at lunch-time... we should still be up for it anyway. We shouldn't need the lights to put in a performance. We just need to go out, perform how we have been and when we get a chance, take it. Build up a lead so that any advantage playing your home game at night may bring will be completely gone by the deficit Hull would have to over-turn.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The main point is that if they draw we cannot now get 4th by winning, unless we win by 6 clear goals. Had we not conceded that equalizer then any win against Ipswich would have done.

The other point is that it's not about playing home or away first. It's that all the other 3 teams play at home at night under lights which almost always has a brilliant atmosphere, while we shall have to play with a sterile lunchtime kickoff when it's almost impossible to get a good atmosphere.

I can't imagine any play off semi final being in a sterile atmosphere. The games I've been to the atmosphere has always been electric, day or night, admittedly the last time we were at home first we were still playing at the BBG. 

6 hours ago, admira said:

Luke Hyam recently broke Alan Judge's leg, ended his season and forced him out of the Euros. If he does the same job on our Will, there'll be hell to pay.

Do not play Will. Full stop.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I can't imagine any play off semi final being in a sterile atmosphere. The games I've been to the atmosphere has always been electric, day or night, admittedly the last time we were at home first we were still playing at the BBG. 

I agree. The Brighton crowd were really up for it on Monday, and it was only 2.30 pm. 

Admittedly they aren't used to having 30,000 + fans in there, whereas we are. Sometimes we are a bit too complacent with our support and sit back waiting for the atmosphere to 'happen'. 

It's up to each and every one of us to create that good atmosphere. COYR! 

4 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Our previous two Play Off semi finals (Southampton and Brighton) are two of my favourite home games for atmosphere. I'm sure Hull will be similarly fantastic.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I sort of agree, but the point is based on the likelihood of Rotherham taking a result from Hull. If we think that's a realistic possibility, why worry about which way round we play Hull? Maybe Mr Potatohead will play a weakened side, dunno, but I'm not over-thinking it. I just see the positives from the performance v BHA. If we play like that, and with even greater intensity, we'll be very very hard to stop. Someone will really deserve it if they get promoted ahead of us.

7 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree. The Brighton crowd were really up for it on Monday, and it was only 2.30 pm. 

Admittedly they aren't used to having 30,000 + fans in there, whereas we are. Sometimes we are a bit too complacent with our support and sit back waiting for the atmosphere to 'happen'. 

It's up to each and every one of us to create that good atmosphere. COYR! 

I have to say that the kick off time shouldn't make any difference to the atmoshere created by Rams fans at the iPro. 

I have been to the Amex to watch the Rams on several occasions in the last few seasons, but I've never seen the place rocking like it clearly was on Monday. Just before kick off they showed what could only be described as an inspirational video on the big screens of the best bits from their whole season to date. It certainly had the desired effect on the home fans as the noise was absolutley deafening when the game started. Thankfully it didn't seem to intimidate the Derby players too much.

PistoldPete2
16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There are nine possible combinations of results on Saturday... Brightons goal will make a difference to our finishing position only if two of those possible outcomes happen, ie hull draw and we win, or if we draw and Hull lose. For all other combinations , we would still have finished where we will finish regardless of brightens goal. 

So You are worried that there's a roughly 22% chance that we will finish 5th when we could have finished 4th? ( probably less as the most likely outcome of hull v Rotherham is a win for hull).

and then what? You worry about the fact that finishing 5th  means we have a 12.30 kick off for the home game? can't see what difference that will make. We will make the ipro rock. 

Basically i I have only one thing to say... Que sera sera, Whatever will be wil be , the futures not ours to see, were going to WEMBERLEY.

Just watched the highlights on Ramsplayer and Buxton is fouled at the corner for their goal. Hemed stops his run, trips him, then carries on with his run. Not blaming the ref for not spotting but interesting nonetheless. 

Hull are going to have to up their game to beat us and they know it. we create a lot of chances now and we are likely to score even if we are under the cosh for long periods. Hull would snap our hands off for a one nil defeat at the iPro. To be still in the tie after the first leg is their target. A goal on the break would make it their birthday.

Leicester, already influential under Pearson, the staff have proven even more important for a Ranieri team built on speedOpta, the champions have made more counter-attacks and scored more counter-attacking goals than any other team this season.

To do this, the players must be conditioned to perform sprints on a regular basis without their bodies breaking down. Striker Jamie Vardy, who has recorded the fastest speed in the Premier League this season - 35.44 km/h - and can perform up to 500m of sprints in every game, is a prime example.

First they must build hamstring strength, which they do using a custom-built leg press on which they can lift 350-500kg. They also use a piece of equipment called a NordBord, which allows them to improve and measure hamstring strength, sometimes even doing post-match exercises on it in the dressing room. BBC Sport news

On 4 May 2016 at 11:48, admira said:

Luke Hyam recently broke Alan Judge's leg, ended his season and forced him out of the Euros. If he does the same job on our Will, there'll be hell to pay.

Well I wasn't too far off calling that one. Thanks Ipswich

Archived