Disabled Supporters

RicME85

Are there many disabled supporters registered on here? I am one and sit in the lower west stand. Anyway, I replied to Jed Buxton

Jed replied and asked for an email about the matter...

Hi Jed,

I Tweeted you about the view being blocked by substitutes. I sit in west lower, seat 190, stair 14, this is pretty much on the edge if the 18 yard line. Substitutes warm up down our end of the pitch (I know this is due to the assistant referee for that side if the pitch is nominated to run the line along the south west end so sub's have to be the other end) the problem is they tend to stand and chat whilst watching the game in the area between the 18 yard line and the halfway line. This happens every match and blocks a significant part of the pitch to our view. We have notice away players tend to be the worst culprits. A number of us in the area have politely asked players to move when they have been standing for a period of time, some do, others ignore or as was the case last season during the Reading match, Simon Cox stood and jeered the fans asking politely which caused a bit of a flashpoint with fans spilling forward from a few rows behind where I sit to confront him. Even after all that he still stood defiantly.

I understand players need to warm up in preparation of being called up to play but those of us with disabilities who have no choice but to sit along the front row in this part of the ground are missing out on parts of matches due to the issue. Due to our needs we can't change our seats to higher up the stands to avoid the problem.

There was a case earlier in the season at Elland Road where a Sky camera man blocked the view of a disabled supporter (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34700779/leeds-united-fans-view-of-the-game-blocked-by-cameraman), thankfully we have had good experiences with Sky camera men in front of us who tend to be aware and curious, the point is the club looked in to the issue, disabled supporters are just as important as all the others.

There has also been an issue with disabled supporters views and substitutes at Bristol City where the club investigated (http://www.theifo.co.uk/adjudications/BristolCity.pdf)

If you could look into this I and many others would be very grateful.

Regards,
Richard

So that went out on the 13th, today the 17th I have received a response...

Richard,

Many thanks for your email, I have been liaising with our senior executive team to see if we can reach a viable solution to the problem.

In light of this being a difficult situation to solve we are hoping that the following measures will help to address the issue:

-         Reminding substitutes of their obligations to the disabled fans

-         Remind coaching staff prior to home games

-         Reinforce the message to the players

-         Brief the forth official before the course of the game.

We are going to ensure that these are briefed in moving forward and we hope that you see a difference as we move forward.

Kind regards,

Jed Buxton 

There we have it, not only is Jake a top Ram but his brother Jed is a decent chap too :thumbsup:

If there are any fellow disabled fans registered on here and you sit in the west stand and have your view obstructed by chatting substitutes, I hope I have been able to solve the situation for you an I.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are lads tend to be pretty respectful to our view of the pitch. 

Always seem to be having a laugh and a joke, Bent always seems to have a laugh with the other lads and a few of the opposition guys.

There is an 8 year old lad that sits a couple of seats down from me and he likes to shout a players name whilst sticking his thumb up, most of our guys will smile at home and give a thumbs up, wink or little wave at him.

Yeah, thats why I did some research to see if similar had happened at other clubs. Bristol City had a similar case with subs but the complaint was from a specific disabled area which was to be modified for a better field of view along with the same proposals our exec team have come up with.

It is frustrating, especially when you get someone like Cox who just didnt give a crap. We obviously know its possible that the view can be impeded, its the nature of where we sit, like going to an old ground with posts holding the roof up, problem is we are limited to where we can sit in the ground due to our needs.

Im happy with the solution the club have responded with which I have relayed to Jed and will up date him down the line if things improve.

Its great that the club try to do what they can to help us with different needs, access is great (except after the MK Dons match when the big gates in the north west corner werent opened, just the small door in the gate). Their adoption of the Access Card makes applying for tickets much easier, no need to carry documentation etc.

3 hours ago, RicME85 said:

Are there many disabled supporters registered on here? I am one and sit in the lower west stand. Anyway, I replied to Jed Buxton

Jed replied and asked for an email about the matter...

So that went out on the 13th, today the 17th I have received a response...

There we have it, not only is Jake a top Ram but his brother Jed is a decent chap too :thumbsup:

If there are any fellow disabled fans registered on here and you sit in the west stand and have your view obstructed by chatting substitutes, I hope I have been able to solve the situation for you an I.

My sister does, and she's always telling me about inconsiderate people blocking her view.

Archived