The current state of Football and the Media

Dale The Ram

I just want a discussion on your opinions on the media and their stories with 0% validity

Just look at Van Gahl who has been sacked or resigned at least 4 times this season by the media

I'm starting to get annoyed at how the media are allowed to publish lies to get views or papers bought.

I think this adds to the pressure of both players and managers and I believe it is a factor in why there is little to no stability in the current state of football

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's nothing new, stories just spread so much quicker the to social media.

My advice would be, if you don't want to read made up stories - avoid the tabloids, Twitter and Facebook.

This. Social media has royally ****** all news, not just sport.

I wouldn't confine the criticism to just tabloids though. Publications and corporations I would previously have considered to be above such behaviour, like the BBC, The New York Post, The Gruniad, regularly publish stories using Twitter as a primary source.

Thankfully Twitter's stock valuation is plumetting, so hopefully it will burn to the ground and a different company can find some way to allow people to lie to each other en masse.

Gabby Agbonlahor summed it up perfectly on the weekend. The first question to him after scoring v Norwich was regarding transfer speculation of him leaving in January.

His response was that the papers like to "talk ****". Of course they have to in order to sell papers, but surely there must be something that prevents them from saying "this is happening" when clearly it isn't.

On 09/02/2016 at 13:01, Dale The Ram said:

I just want a discussion on your opinions on the media and their stories with 0% validity

Just look at Van Gahl who has been sacked or resigned at least 4 times this season by the media

I'm starting to get annoyed at how the media are allowed to publish lies to get views or papers bought.

I think this adds to the pressure of both players and managers and I believe it is a factor in why there is little to no stability in the current state of football

Valid points dale. I believe that as information has proliferated this has forced the media to behave as you say as a form of self preservation. There are of course media jobs at stake and hence people's livelihoods so it is a rational response from that point of view. 

I draw a parallel with my own industry of asset management. As the availability of raw data increases  (prices of shares and things plus performance and risk measures ) then a whole industry has grown up around constructing reports analyses predictions and recommendations. Nowadays all this sort of stuff is produced quarterly and presented to investors who are looking to pay pensions in 40 years time. Of what possible relevance is it? Very little. 

But to say that a quarter doesn't matter and should only really throw all this stuff out every 3 years or so would kill tens of thousands of jobs. So it propagates itself.

Malicious lies that defame someone should of course be stamped on.

The best defence against press tripe is really a combination of awareness and scepticism. Which it seems you've got so fair play mate. It is a circus only kept going for the benefit of the participants. 

Archived