Away Games the key to promotion

Bris Vegas

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Hopefully that is where the squad comes in but it did not do the job at Leeds.

We really don't have any excuse for the schedule as we have one of the biggest/strongest squads.

As for the Leeds game, being able to bring on players with the class of Martin and Ince shows how strong it is, those two did save us and got us the point.

1 minute ago, toddy said:

We really don't have any excuse for the schedule as we have one of the biggest/strongest squads.

As for the Leeds game, being able to bring on players with the class of Martin and Ince shows how strong it is, those two did save us and got us the point.

My point is that without them we may have lost the game. If the players that came on were injured then could the others get us promotion - unlikely I think.

PistoldPete2
On 31 December 2015 at 18:29, Bris Vegas said:

As the title says, our away games will be key to us winning automatic promotion.

So far this season, there isn't much to choose between the top five in terms of home form. Boro have taken 29 points, Derby 25, Hull 29, Brighton 26 and Burnley 26.

There seems little reason as to why this will change in the next half of the season. Home form between the five gunning for autos will probably remain very consistent, and largely very good.

What ultimately seperates us is the away form. Boro have taken 20 points, Derby 23, Hull 15, Brighton 18 and Burnley 15.

Luckily our challengers, Boro aside, aren't particularly strong on the road and it's there where we can really pull away. Away draws are rather pointless, three away draws is the same as one win and two losses.

Brighton have nine away draws and only three wins. They're unbeaten on the road, but have taken five points less than us.

We have 11 away games left - Boro, Burnley, Fulham, Brentford, Wolves, QPR, Rotherham, Cardiff, Charlton, Bristol City and Brighton . in that order. Win five of those and automatic promotion will be ours.

I think we may get a better return from our remaining home games. We drew with boro burnnley Brighton and charlton , lost to leeds. We should have won all those games, we had the chances to. We only have hull and Ipswich in the top 6 left to play and we've beaten them both already. So 25 from 12 isn't as good as I would expect from remaining home games... Really we should look to get up to 30 points from the remaining 11 home games. Who've we got? Hull , Ipswich, wendies , forest, Bolton, brum, reading, Preston, Huddersfield, Blackburn, mk Dons. Really with home advantage we should push on and win nearly all those games. 

25 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think we may get a better return from our remaining home games. We drew with boro burnnley Brighton and charlton , lost to leeds. We should have won all those games, we had the chances to. We only have hull and Ipswich in the top 6 left to play and we've beaten them both already. So 25 from 12 isn't as good as I would expect from remaining home games... Really we should look to get up to 30 points from the remaining 11 home games. Who've we got? Hull , Ipswich, wendies , forest, Bolton, brum, reading, Preston, Huddersfield, Blackburn, mk Dons. Really with home advantage we should push on and win nearly all those games. 

I've already written off the Forest one as a bonus game as such. Hull are obviously a real threat, our home form against Ipswich isn't good and I expect Sheff Wed to be better later on in the season.

It rarely ever works out that we win the games we should. There will be disappointments.

But if we can beat Preston, MK Dons, Reading, Birmingham, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Bolton and one more then with five away wins that'll give us 39 points on top of what we already have.

Should be enough for autos on the condition that Hull don't drastically improve their away form. If Hull improve away, we might have to win even more away which will be tough. We've got some hard games to come.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I've already written off the Forest one as a bonus game as such. Hull are obviously a real threat, our home form against Ipswich isn't good and I expect Sheff Wed to be better later on in the season.

It rarely ever works out that we win the games we should. There will be disappointments.

But if we can beat Preston, MK Dons, Reading, Birmingham, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Bolton and one more then with five away wins that'll give us 39 points on top of what we already have.

Should be enough for autos on the condition that Hull don't drastically improve their away form. If Hull improve away, we might have to win even more away which will be tough. We've got some hard games to come.

Bris you don't seem to factor in any draws to your sums.... We've drawn 4 at home and 5 away so far... That's 9 points which isn't to be sniffed at even if many of those should have been wins. You reckon we need 39 points by winning games... Assuming we don't draw any games at all. But that alone would give us 87 points which is more than any team in history has ever recorded without getting automatic promotion.

i agree that teams don't always get what you expect... Charlton and leeds at home were disappointing results and there may be others to come. Even so , we are stronger now than at the start of the season ... Provided injuries don't weaken us like they did last year. 

PistoldPete2
3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Bris you don't seem to factor in any draws to your sums.... We've drawn 4 at home and 5 away so far... That's 9 points which isn't to be sniffed at even if many of those should have been wins. You reckon we need 39 points by winning games... Assuming we don't draw any games at all. But that alone would give us 87 points which is more than any team in history has ever recorded without getting automatic promotion.

i agree that teams don't always get what you expect... Charlton and leeds at home were disappointing results and there may be others to come. Even so , we are stronger now than at the start of the season ... Provided injuries don't weaken us like they did last year. 

Dang... I've just seen hull has won at qpr... They've always been a big threat in my eyes. So maybe 87 points won't be enough this year. But Brighton seem to be falling fast. 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Bris spits on draws. 

7 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Bris spits on draws. 

I reckon that's where that breed of dog comes from.... the Mexican Spitz.

Known best for its distinctive call:

"Hey Senor..... <pwt>"

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I did factor in draws in a previous post. I feel with 13 wins, plus a few draws as we will draw some between now and the end of the season, will be enough for autos.

The whole concept is that I believe the likes of Boro, Derby, Hull and Burnley will maintain their strong home form and the teams coming first and second will be those with the best away records.

So far Burnley and Hull haven't been great on the road, but an improvement for either could put us in a spot of bother. Away draws won't help us if our rivals are winning away.

You look at Brighton's away draws and you think it's not bad. Picked up a draw at QPR, Derby, Brentford, Reading, Sheff Wed, Wolves, Huddersfield, Burnley and Bolton - but nine draws is only nine points.

A record of W3 D1 L5 while not looking as good accumulates more points.

I don't doubt that Paul Clement targets wins in every match, even on the road, but it's important that we try and win away rather than settling for draws.

It's the away form which will separate Boro, Derby, Hull and Burnley come the end of the season.

PistoldPete2
7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I did factor in draws in a previous post. I feel with 13 wins, plus a few draws as we will draw some between now and the end of the season, will be enough for autos.

The whole concept is that I believe the likes of Boro, Derby, Hull and Burnley will maintain their strong home form and the teams coming first and second will be those with the best away records.

So far Burnley and Hull haven't been great on the road, but an improvement for either could put us in a spot of bother. Away draws won't help us if our rivals are winning away.

You look at Brighton's away draws and you think it's not bad. Picked up a draw at QPR, Derby, Brentford, Reading, Sheff Wed, Wolves, Huddersfield, Burnley and Bolton - but nine draws is only nine points.

A record of W3 D1 L5 while not looking as good accumulates more points.

I don't doubt that Paul Clement targets wins in every match, even on the road, but it's important that we try and win away rather than settling for draws.

It's the away form which will separate Boro, Derby, Hull and Burnley come the end of the season.

Well I agree that for the second half of the season we are unlikely to repeat the feat of only 2 defeats. We've drawn too many games, both home (4) and away(5) . If we can turn some of those draws into wins we should be ok for the autos.

So in second half, instead of 2 defeats and 9 draws I would expect 3 or 4 defeats but a lot fewer drawn games. Either way if we win the majority ie 12 out of 22 of our remaining games we should be fine. That would give us 84 points... Plus a few more from drawn games should get us to 90 points. 

That said, I would very much settle for an away draw today if we can. 

Just now, davenportram said:

which is why our two unbeaten runs saw us overtake Brighton despite there one massive unbeaten run. Drawing too many is bad - but at the moment we aren't drawing too many

Yeah, of course. As you say though, we can't really complain about drawing too many. It may look like we have (compared to Boro), but since the first 5 we really haven't been.

PistoldPete2

The other factor is that our two toughest away games remaining are coming up soon... Boro and burnley. We won't have strngthened the team for these games but after the end of January , possibly with one or two new signings , we should expect to go on a streak of many wins. That's what I hope anyway. 

Would anyone else also love, love, love, love a win away at Burnley?

Bit of a bogey team in the past and we've all got awful memories of that game Bobby Madley screwed up in a few years back.

It's probably more a personal vendetta/mental stumbling block for me than the players, but it's the sort of morale boosting win that promotion campaigns are made of. Curtains has droned on about important games but if we could come through in this one I think it would be a symbolic victory.

Also, Dyche is a moaning Cnut too.

Archived