Sadistic Colin Gibson

JAT

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that Colin Gibson is a little sadistic?

Whenever he interviews an injured player he always focuses so much on the negatives despite the player really wanting to remain positive!

"Explain what it was like" - then player tries to put a positive spin on it and move on... "But let's just go back to the point it happened" - player again politely tries to shift it again... "But the way I saw it was you went down and was writhing around in agony, one hand in the air, desperate for help, your career fading quicker than Paul Clements hairline"!

"Your only just at the beginning of this long, frustrating journey back to full fitness" - player tries to respond and remain cheerful!

"But in the back of your mind you must fear that you'll never be the same again"

It's truly brutal!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did notice that. It's almost as if he requires a specific answer to be able to tangent onto the next question. Say you say, Forsyth was being cheerful and upbeat and then Gibson said, "But at the same time, you can't work." (or similar). Furrowed my brow a little. 

Just now, Ram@Lincoln said:

People moaned at Glick being a happy clapper, now people moan at Gibson being a sadistic. Is there no mid ground and the only option one extreme or the other?

Seriously, you should look at the Forsyth interview. I haven't noticed him do it in other interviews, but it was a little weird.

7 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

People moaned at Glick being a happy clapper, now people moan at Gibson being a sadistic. Is there no mid ground and the only option one extreme or the other?

It was an observation more than a moan. From a journalism view he does need to have the context but I just think he stays on the negatives for a question or two too long.

I've started to get bored of Rams Player interviews because it seems like most of the questions are structured around putting words into the players mouths to get the same old responses that "the fans want to hear", rather than what I actually want to hear which is honest opinions and insight from our players/people at our club. 

The only interviews I watch now with any real interest are those with Clement or any other staff member, and  Martin because he seems genuine and intelligent (no disrespect intended to our other players) and I love him

Also William when he's around

14 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

I've started to get bored of Rams Player interviews because it seems like most of the questions are structured around putting words into the players mouths to get the same old responses that "the fans want to hear", rather than what I actually want to hear which is honest opinions and insight from our players/people at our club. 

The only interviews I watch now with any real interest are those with Clement or any other staff member, and  Martin because he seems genuine and intelligent (no disrespect intended to our other players) and I love him

Yep those three are brilliant in interviews, regardless of whose asking the questions. I always think that Clement is brilliant at explaining his the coaching process: play, recover, asses, train, repeat! It comes across in most interviews, so if I'm getting that as a fan then the players must be 100% clear on the process.

28 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Me too, won't subscribe again, not because I don't expect it to be biased coverage but because it offers absolutely no insight into anything, at all. I find it quite excruciating at times, several wasted minutes of Gibson asking the question with the answer already contained within the question, cue a player or manager repeating the question changing a few words. Perfect examples: "That was a tough old game wasn't it"? Inviting a yes answer. "You had to really defend well at times didn't you"? Inviting an agreement to the question. Be nice to have some open ended questions that allow the interviewee to provide some insight but might stray off Gibbo's script then.

I've just watched it back, and I don't agree tbf. 

I'm not Gibbo's biggest fan, but I don't think the interview with Fozzy was particularly negative or sadistic in any way.

In fact it's one of his better ones, no mention of MMI, and far better than some of his North Korean style propaganda recently.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've just watched it back, and I don't agree tbf. 

I'm not Gibbo's biggest fan, but I don't think the interview with Fozzy was particularly negative or sadistic in any way.

In fact it's one of his better ones, no mention of MMI, and far better than some of his North Korean style propaganda recently.

Yeah, I actually thought it one of his stronger performances too. A 3/10 at least.

Sounds like Gibbo hasn't changed from his days at Radio Derby. If there wasn't a problem he could always invent one. If he didn't get the negative answer he wanted he just pushed and pushed . Nigel would just go very coldly angry.........and not appear for a few weeks.  And at worst he would initiate complaints that didn't exist  -   once at an official FA level.  His excuse was that he wasn't the tool of the club. Well now he IS.

7 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Yeah, I actually thought it one of his stronger performances too. A 3/10 at least.

I honestly expected him to say 'You wouldn't be recovering in that pool without MMI, just how much had this placed changed since you were last injured?'.

12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

What you don't see is Fozzy break down in tears & Colin rubbing his hands cackling in laughter after the video cuts out.

Reckon he cracks out a little rubber reflex hammer and whacks him on the knee

1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Spot on

"So you must be delighted to get the 3pts"

Yeah. Absolutely delighted to get 3 pts

"In the second half you really had be patient and that showed good discipline didn't it?"

Yeah it was tough but we had to show good discipline and be patient

"Must have been really frustrating not to be playing but that shows how much strength in depth there is in the squad"

Yeah, it's been frustrating but it's a strong squad and we know you have to perform to keep your place

"I guess you were dissapointed not to get on the score sheet but the most important thing was the 3pts"

Obviously you always want to score but the most important thing is the 3pts.

18 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Not only putting words in their mouths but those words often become the headline on the official site when advertising the interview. 

yeah! 

"So Richard, patience was the key wasn't it"

"Yeah, no. Like you say, patience was the key" 

PATIENCE THE KEY SAYS RAMS DEFENDER

Tbf to McClaren and Clement they don't get lead along. 

Like if they get "So Paul a frustrating first half but got the job done in the end".. If he disagrees he will say "I don't think we were frustrated I just think..."

That other guy is worse than Gibson. He literally gives them their answer. Word for word

Archived