I have to confess on reflection I'm happy with our recent signings.

Curtains

But would have also liked Andre Gray or Wilson on loan. 

Johnson and Shackell and Ince are superb.  

Butterfield will be great and I think Wiemann , Pearce , Baird and Bent have improved the squad. 

Onwards and and upwards with Paul Clement. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how did Bent and Pearce become good signings without even playing?

On reflection Pearce is to replace Whitbread and his attitude in the U21s against Fulham was superb. 

Bent is not creating problems and did well to score against MK Dons. 

But would have also liked Andre Gray or Wilson on loan. 

Johnson and Shackell and Ince are superb.  

Butterfield will be great and I think Wiemann , Pearce , Baird and Bent have improved the squad. 

Onwards and and upwards with Paul Clement. 

When you've spent nigh on £20m on a championship side you would expect to improve their squad.

I think the signings have been a mixed bag and I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise. In order of success (on our season so far and including value for money) I would rank them Carson, Shackell, Johnson, Ince, Butterfield, Baird, Bent, Pearce and Weimann. 

On reflection Pearce is to replace Whitbread and his attitude in the U21s against Fulham was superb. 

Bent is not creating problems and did well to score against MK Dons. 

So was he creating problems at first when you had the wool pulled over your eyes?

And the goal against MK Dons was from about one yard out, if he had missed that would he still be a bad signing?

When you've spent nigh on £20m on a championship side you would expect to improve their squad.

I think the signings have been a mixed bag and I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise. In order of success (on our season so far and including value for money) I would rank them Carson, Shackell, Johnson, Ince, Butterfield, Baird, Bent, Pearce and Weimann. 

Forgot Carson he's been a great signing. 

Pearce is a back up and has replaced Whitbread and hasn't featured because of Keogh and Shackells form. 

Watched Wiemann closely yesterday and he gives us an outlet with his pace. 

Bent is the old what you call goal hanger and if his attitude stays right he can be an asset. 

Baird who I have said is a journeyman is still an asset. 

Hindsight is a great thing. 

PS Those remarks were made pre Shackell , Johnson And Butterfield and I think Ince. 

So was he creating problems at first when you had the wool pulled over your eyes?

And the goal against MK Dons was from about one yard out, if he had missed that would he still be a bad signing?

I said on reflection. 

Hindsight is a funny thing. 

When I said wool over the eyes I was talking about the fact we were being told that we would win the league easy with these quality signings and I didn't think all of them were world beaters.

PS Those remarks were made pre Shackell,Johnson and Butterfield signings and I think also Ince. 

I said on reflection. 

Hindsight is a funny thing. 

When I said wool over the eyes I was talking about the fact we were being told that we would win the league easy with these quality signings and I didn't think all of them were world beaters. 

Who told you that?

I was saying we needed to sign players at the end of the last transfer window and others said we should use the academy. 

Well id say Johnson and Butterfield have made the difference in our upsurge in form letting the likes of Jeff Hendrick flourish etc 

Johnson has been fantastic. 

I think the signings were pretty good, although in some cases signed without any overall plan - I'd say Evans' buys rather than Clement's, and that situation has been rectified. The main complaint is that we overpaid for most of them - but that's what happens if you start throwing money around. To me it feels like we've added £5m worth of players to our already strong squad . That added talent has given us an impressive squad, but not quite at the level I'd expect for the expenditure.

That said, watching Bradley Johnson play yesterday, I can easily imagine him developing into a real DCFC hero - all action, but with bags of talent to back it up. I described him elsewhere as Archie Gemmill in a muscle suit. If he does go on to achieve the things that the great wee man did, then £6m might be seen as a snip.

Archived